Joel Howley and the 2019 GTR

ROBOT

• Baller

As a marketing guy, I think this is a bold departure from the other companies' promo videos, and I love it. We're such a small sport, and a new ski is a significant purchase, so going full-geek (vs other companies where you're lucky to get 30s of design-thinking) with a detailed, passionate argument for a distinct thesis (combining the best of low-riding and low-drag characteristics) has some risks (both boring the viewer and giving all your design tricks to the competition), but I think it works, because it's structured like a newspaper article (the opposite of a good murder mystery): the core thesis is in the intro, so if you don't watch the whole thing (and even for me, 10 minutes of ski geeking is a lot), you still leave with the main ideas.

Bravo.

• Baller_
+1 for informative. Had no problem watching the whole thing. Did not miss the slooooow mo sun rise wall of water seen in most of the other companies vids....getting to be over done. I like his passion and excitement. It just feels real. I remember his last video regarding the GT and thought the same thing. Well done Joel and @Connelly_Skis_Inc

• Baller

I have always been intrigued with Connelly's skis. I currently ride a HO but the way Joel explains everything simply and clearly has my nerdy engineering brain telling me I need to at least TRY this ski....

I love it when the manufactures get into the gritty details of why they did a certain feature or design. I wish all the rest of them would do this exact thing. Kudos to Connelly and Joel.

as someone who is very very new to the course this year and jumped on a Connelly V just cause I've always skied Connelly its so so good to see and hear from them about the actual whats and whys of one of their skis. Can I say EVERY ski should have something like this. Yeah there is some tech talk but at the end of the day EVERY skiier at EVERY level should be able to easily access the what and why of their ski in some actual detail other then a few paragraph blurbs on a website. Yes, make the pretty looking stuff but get into the meat as well. Well done Connelly!

I'm just getting back to course skiing this year and the ski is way above my skill level, but like SaunT says, all manufacturers should provide this information for their lines so people can make more informed decisions. Most people can't demo every ski to make the right decision. Way to go Connelly. You made one sale for sure from this!

• Baller
@JoelHowley, in the same line of question as coach3, for me at 165, skiing at 36mph, a 66 or 67 ? The chart would suggest 67 but am 5 pounds over only and for most other ski companies for my weight, I usually need a 66. What do you suggest?

So who could watch this video and not want to try this ski? Super analysis of what the ski is designed for and how it works better than previous, other, designs.

Crap, I want to try one and I've never considered a Connelly. Well done Joel and Connelly.

• Baller

Thanks again for all the comments, I would put @FLeboeuf on a 67 and @coach3 on a 66.

With deep riding skis it is easier to go a little longer.

On the GTR I will be telling people between 130-160lbs to go for the 66.

and people between 160-190lbs to go for the 67.

However if your power to weight ratio is really good or if you are running shorter than 35off generally you would want to go up a size if you are within 5 or so pounds of the upper limit.

• Baller

Great technical video, I really like the description of the ski and what the design is made for etc....

I agrree with others, every high end ski should have that kind of technical explanation, especially when you can't try them all.

Thank you Joel and great work. Do it again !!!!!!!