What is the Shortest Lake you could use for slalom course ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller
What is the Shortest Lake you could use for slalom course ? I have seen a lake/parcel of land in Florida I am interested in, currently not long enough but there is a small area either end, possible extension, 1400ft long at the moment I think could extend to1500ft possibly 1600ft but that would be it.

• Baller
I ski one lake that is 1750' with width to curl in on both ends, I can't see going much smaller, you are pretty much pulling out as soon as the turn in straightens out. Another lake is about 1900' and is barely enough to go straight in on both ends, there you get up and pull out pretty much right away. both are full 6 ball courses.

• Baller
Straight as a arrow no room for curl approx 150ft wide same owner has a larger parcel of land adjacent but also at one end of the lake not sure how difficult it would be to reconfigure the deeds if they were willing, could probably get to 1800 - 1900 ft if that was possible trouble is you are dealing with corperate I think the body of water I am looking at is not much use to them.

• Baller
@Stevie Boy I have the same question as @TEL, why? As a long time lake owner if I had any other reasonable access to a slalom course I'd go for it. It's a lot of work maintaining property and a ski site. I'm wore out with it. To own your own site is a dream for lots of folks and it was for me. Twenty-three years down the road I wish I could get out. Think long term!

• Baller

I was riding in the boat when Todd Johnson took his first set at Quickset. He ran straight through 39. Didn't try 41.

When asked what he thought, his response was, "sure don't have time to adjust your shorts".

• Baller

I want to say Avon in CT is 1600 and pretty much straight in. @Edbrazil would know the exact length. Without a whip in it would be hard to be shorter.

Lapoints doesn’t ski short to me. Oakham MA is very short also but you spin in at one end. If there is room to spin in you can ski pretty short.

• Baller
Not being able to adjust my shorts was a real issue no kidding. Tried wetsuit type shorts that did not work. Finally got O’Neil freak shorts that issue solved. Took quite a bit more time to not freak out at the gate. Once you get over that it’s all butter water is awesome! Oh no time to wipe your face either. I started using contacts and closed my eyes on take off that helped!

• Baller
Our lake is 1750 corner to corner. We have a 6 ball course, and it's a quick setup but doable. Need a decent driver to make it work. You don't have time to fix both your hair and shorts, gotta pick one. :)

• Baller
I ski at Avon,CT and I believe it’s about 1650 or 1675. I usually ski it straight in but a lot do the “loop” or turn to get into the course. Wish it was about 100-200 longer but it works great for the size. Some serious talent coming out of that little pond.

• Baller
I did my driver certification at Avon in CT and at 36 mph the boat hit speed right before the entrance gates if you were coming straight in. When you turned in it hit earlier. You definitely have to pay attention when setting people down at the end but it isn't the hardest site we have to drive in the east.

• Baller
@Chef23 we just installed an 8 ball course at Avon with the remote controlled pulley to sink zero ball on each side. It’s a great set up and so much easier to drive. No more need to J hook a turn to set up. Straight in and out. Couldn’t be easier and maximizes our 1700 foot set up

• Baller
@fernandofleck I don’t see it as a huge issue but it can get in the way for some skiers. Currently we run the 0 pretty low to minimize the distraction. We have had the sinker system before and are looking to put it back in. We have run them off car batteries and solar chargers so no need for direct power. @lpskier has a great set up at KLPs I’m sure he could give you the details on.

• Baller

@fernandofleck Zero ball can be a distraction until you get used to it. First few times it’s easy to stare at it or even hit it in turn into the gates. I personally hated it but that’s just me. Also kind of a crutch as to when to turn in for the gates. Like anything else there’s a learning curve but after a few days it’s not a big deal. Just my own opinion.

As for a power source, we use a solar panel hooked to a main battery that powers an actuator. The actuator just swings an arm with a line that runs out to the buoy line and pulls it under for about a minute or so and resets. 2 garage door opener type switches in the boat remotely control the 2 units. It’s freakin awesome. One of our handy members worked on it over the winter and we got it running early this season. It believe it’s similar to the system that LaPoints ski park uses. It was a game changer running on a short set up.

• Baller
Pond where I ski gives us just about 1300 ft of straight. There's a slight dogleg at one end on top of that distance that we use too. We start going away from the course on both ends and do hard spins right at the end shore. One one end, the spin is opposite your pullout so there's a timing aspect to get a strong pullout without sinking the ski a bit. On the other side, after the spin you have the shore just to your left, and I mean it's close, and the boat turns right into the course at the 55s. The resulting slingshot at pullout is similar to Quickset. Getting that right isn't easy (I still haven't). Driving at this site also has a bit of a learning curve. It is a nice site though, in the woods, with no other boats, and lots of wind protection. What more could we ask for in life?

• Baller
@fernandofleck, I have an 1800 ft lake w/8 buoy course and our 'zero' ball is a red noodle that is only about 3 inches of it above the water; works great. I thought I might ad the sinking buoys with a solar powered gate opener but unless I decide to have a Class C tournament here, it's really not necessary.