Orlando area instructors who utilize a boat driver

Cnewbert

• Baller
I’m looking to take my first professional slalom lessons and there was an excellent forum discussion re: everyone’s recommendations for the greater Orlando area. One member also suggested asking if the particular instructor uses a driver, or if they drive and instruct at the same time. Honestly, it never occurred to me to even ask as I assumed there would always be a driver so the instructor could watch the skier with his or her undivided attention. When I called my top two choices from the forum recommendations I found that they don’t use a driver. As noted, I’ve never taken lessons before, but i’m finding it difficult to accept that someone can simultaneously pay attention to driving a boat through a slalom course while effectively watching a skier at all times in their mirror(s). If that turns out to be my only option, then I’ll have no choice. But does anyone know of a quality slalom instructor/ski school that does in fact use divers so the instructor can devote their full attention to watching the skier? Thanks!

• Baller
It they are a reputable slalom coach I wouldn't worry that detail. A good coach can tell what you're doing wrong by the feel while they're driving, unless you're skiing super short line maybe. Skiing with someone that knows how to communicate with you has been the most important to me, and that's a personal thing. You won't know until you go and hear what they have to say. I go to PB Training Center for a week every year. They do both depending on what's going on.

• Baller

I have only been coached once by the driver and it was Jack Travers. He gave me coaching that led me to running my first 35 off in the next set.

That said I have other than that always had a driver and a coach. In Orlando I have been to Travers and Lucky Lowe.

• Baller
I’ve been to nearly all locations in the area. Will have to say I walked away most satisfied with Lucky Lowe (although not really Orlando). He does his own driving all while turned around bakcwerds fully watching you. And you can ski long line and still hear clearly what he is SHOUTING to you.

• Baller
IMO with a good 140 degrees mirror and if you're not skiing agressive 38 off and shorter (and even then...) a good coach/driver will easily spot your weaknesses with glimpse in the mirror at the right moments while keeping a good boatpath.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

If you go and see Lucky Lowe, your not going to like his method,but if you go with it, your skiing will improve dramatically as you get to the end of your time with him, swiss ski school sometimes operates with driver and coach, not sure about the Boarding School, I go to one particular place where I get individual attention plus the coach drives the boat, I have no complaints, that boat is as straight as a arrow, remember these Guy's have been living and breathing water skiing for a long time.

Personally I think you should be asking where can I go and be fairly sure that the boat is going to be down the middle, a lot of people go to ski school and ski there best, only to find they cannot repeat it when they go to other sites or there home lake, not always but sometimes, then you have to ask yourself why, if you are honest with yourself you probably know the answer.

• Baller
Chris Parrish’s name has not come up yet, Steveo. I’ll Google him and see what I find. I’m not in Orlando. I’m in the Ocala area and it’s about a 1.5+ hour drive to most of these Orlando schools (a little less to Jack Travers). But there’s nothing up here and the Orlando area seems to have a wide choice.

We are not in Orlando, but at Liquid Zone in Sacramento, we always have a driver and a coach. We do offer what we call "Shut up and Ski" which is with a driver only but the charge is less than half of a ride with coaching. The weeks that Terry Winter is here, every ride has a driver and Terry Coaching.

• Baller

Google Chris Parrish ?

Ok.Don't worry too much about having a driver who coach at the same time.

Most of the serious ski school in Orlando will be able to help you improve.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

FYI, a couple cool things to think about. Take a friend and a IPAD or phone. Have the friend ride in the boat videoing and recording the whole session. You may be surprised at what you missed or may have misinterpreted while you were skiing. Sometimes the conversation between the coach and the person riding in the boat can be interesting! You will also have the boat path.

Rini was great and I hear Kiwi is also.

It’s also bonus points if the coach you pick uses or helps develop the Ski you ride ( Rini- Radar ) ( Travers-HO) ( Boris-MC ) and extra points if they use the boat you use!

• Baller
I thought CP was up towards Alabama? I will say most sites I’ve been to in Central Florida ( Rini, Jodi, TBS, Lucky) seem to offer one perk over the next. If you lean towards Radar, Rini or TBS, Mapple goes to Kris, if you want general simple pull Kris or TBS, if you want unbiased and true opinion and you are confident in your equipment, Lucky or Kris. For the MOST part all coaching here or any “known” coach is good (the ski community is too small for somebody looking to collect a dollar). The best coaching that’s helped me has been either Lucky himself helping me with gates or KC and a driver at TBS helping me with everything in between.