Opinions on 99 Sunsetter LXI

jimmyjamesbrown

• Baller

I haven’t skied behind the Sunsetter but at some point they different hulk options I believe. One of them is supposed to slalom basically the same as a Response which is a very good slalom boat. The Malibu Crew website would have a lot of info.

I have a 2002 Response LX which is a very similar boat and it is a great boat.

That boat looks super clean.

• Baller

It definitely is a sunsetter on the diamond hull. So a decent slalom boat.

However ...

Boat looks to me as it took quite the abuse, sat in the water for extended periods and was never properly covered. Just recently well cleaned up to sell it. Obviously.

Lots of dings all around, rubrail in the front took a good hit, dash and controls are very faded due to lots of UV exposure, rust on a lot of engine parts, carpet has lots of stains, upholstery looks dull not ripped though, teak platform has not seen any oil in years, underwater gear looks pretty corroded, even with a recent acid clean-up, windshield frame looks horrible, all the storage netting is sagging, so is the rear center floor-piece above the mufflers, trunk looks super dirty, trailer bunks are duct-taped (wtf?), ...

I wouldn’t pay half of the asking price for that boat.

• Baller
They handle and ski remarkably well given size and free-board. It's almost a little mind-bending...or that's how I felt when I drove/skied it. Sorta like a really high performance SUV like the Mercedes AMG's or BMW X5-M's or Porsche Cayenne's---you sit in a big heavy SUV but you go like hell and corner in ways that just feel wrong given the size of the vehicle.

• Baller

The boat is almost 20 years old so it is likely to have some wear. My boat sits in the water from May to October and it does have some blisters in the gel coat. They don’t impact the way it runs.

I always cover my boat at night but the upholstery on my boat shows wear because it is 16 years old and has 1000 hours on it.

If the engine runs strong and the hull is blister free it would be worth trying to make a deal in.

• Baller

That boat look looks completely redone inside, both vinyl and carpet?

also probably not the original trailer.

If I knew the history, I’d be ok with it.

No history I would pass.

In US dollars that boat is mid-high teens.

• Baller

I have a 2001 Sunsetter lxi that I bought in Canada this spring for 6k less than that one with tower and a few other things. Fantastic boat, the slalom wake is amazing, and I can wakeboard and surf it too. Just a great all around boat.

How many hours on that one?

• Baller

Just skied one this morning with the latest PP installed. Wakes get better the shorter the line gets. 38 off is better than my 1997 SN 196!

As mentioned above the hull can wake board, surf and ski so is a truly all around hull not to mention built tough. If it had the Monsoon motor and Wedge option this would be a no brainer purchase. These hulls are selling fast and for more money around our parts because of the flexibility of the boat.

I purchased a 1999 LXI three years ago and paid $16k USD. From the pictures I would say similar condition, mine had 725 hours at purchase. I'm still a 15 off skier but at my level I can't tell the difference between it and the 196 and 200 that I regularly ski behind. So far it's been a great boat.

• Baller
I have a 99 Sunsetter LXI and love it. Terrific boat. I am from Toronto but went to Cincinatti to get mine based on the cult reviews for this boat on this forum and elsewhere as the best family size ski boat. I also use the same marina (Town & Country) which is selling this boat to service mine and have been very happy with them as well - they are knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Good luck.

• Baller_
Didn’t the Sunsetter LXi have sort of a cantilever design to the stern? I think it would kind of have a notched hull at the back where the swim platform mounted. Thus, a portion of the trunk was structured to overhang the exhaust, etc. So, a flush level stern would not be an LXi.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@MISkier you are correct. The deck of the LXI extends over the hull at the back giving more room to put a large trunk / sun platform on the stern. Another visual clue to distinguish LX from LXI is where the aft portion of the windscreen meets the gunnel. On the LX the gunnel rises up to meet the windscreen frame whereas on the LXI the gunnel is flat and he frame continues down to meet that flat surface.

Well...I didn't buy the Sunsetter in my OP, but finally ended up with one. Picked up this nice 2000 few weeks ago. Finally got in the water yesterday and had a ski. My first ski boat....needless to say, a bit excited! :)

A couple of issues I need to sort out on the boat; beep alarm is coming on once up to about 34 mph (hopefully just a sensor), throttle needs an adjustment (new PP) and shower seems to leak a bit. But I'm thrilled with it.

dgiiefnyikxv.jpg

• Baller

Nice boat!

It truly is one of the better "all around" boats that were ever made.

The 2000 sunsetter was tow boat of the year.

And they are hard to find because guys don't want to give them up.

Check your transmission cooler lines, the beep is likely caused by an overheating transmission, and you could have seaweed junk caught in the filter. (It's right in the front of the engine)

If your shower pump is leaking, you should be able to easily pull off the trunk back wall and service it. (check the hot/cold controls for more seaweed)

• Baller

@jimmyjamesbrown another problem from that era that caused a “dash beep” was the oil pressure sensor. If my memory is correct there was a separate sensor for the dash gage and one for the warning beep. They later consolidated to one sensor for both but I cannot remember when. My 2000 only had a single oil pressure sensor and would beep occasionally.

Root cause is either a bad sensor or the single wire sensors grounded through the engine block and would have a bad connection resulting in false low readings on oil pressure.

My solution was to add a ground to my sensor and the problem was gone.

Oh and congratulations.

• Baller

@jimmyjamesbrown - congrats! - great boat - we have one too !!

I have the same trailer on mine and i can tell you that the more level you get it the better it pulls - we pull ours with a 2013 honda pilot. You might consider a hitch mount that will drop it down another inch or so. Also when you launch the boat don't get it too deep or you will get the bow eye stuck on that 2nd roller - i try leave 1" of fender out when launching and 2" of fender out when retrieving.

Thanks @Ski_Dad great tips.

I did lower the hitch some, more level now. Launching and retrieving definitely going to take some practice....indeed I got the bow eye caught on the roller as you mentioned (had to get someone to stand on the back to put bow up). Will keep an eye on how far in I go with the trailer next time out.

• Baller

I love the Sunsetter LXI!! sweet boat to make everyone happy. I maybe helping someone sell a 2002 . can you help me recomend a price? it runs great, most vinyl replaced, tower, perfect pass, heater and shower, wedge, tandem trailer. 1600 hrs. .jrcuc54l367s.jpg

8kbwx55117qi.jpg

lfdm3rlh27n8.jpg

• Baller

@jimmyjamesbrown I thought when the beep occurred the little LCD screen in the tach would show a very vague message. Like “oil low” or “temp hi”. When it beeps look at that. If my memory is correct the warning was only shown when you heard the beep, then disappear and reappear on the beep.

My oil pressure beep would only start to occur when I was at speed and keep beeping at idle. If we shut the engine off for a minute then restarted it would not beep at idle. Then when we went back up to speed it would start again.

I replaced the sensor on my boat and still had the issue. After grounding the sensor it was fixed. For some reason the threads on the sensor were not a good enough contact (probably from the anti-seize) so a separate ground did the trick. I made a ground wire, sanded a flat on the metal sensor body with some 80 grit to rough up the surface and soldered a wire to it and ran that to a central ground.

Watch the dash first to see if you can catch the “beep message” before replacing parts.