Stargazer question. How much speed fluctuation?

Tdub

• Baller
Yeh you need to look at the buoy by buoy. I was having some big issues when I installed mine where I could feel the boat accelerate hard out of 2 ball and then slow way down on the back half of the course. The times on the buoy by buoy were on the verge of being out of tolerance but overall was pretty close to a 16.08. My times at 34 seem pretty good now but my buddy who skis 36 hates the feel and I just pull him using classic. When you get to the end you can hit menu to select the time, hit down and it will give you the overall and buoy by buoy. You can compare against actuals.

• Baller

@Tdub - Is the boat actually surging? RPMs fluctuating? Or are you just reading the speedometer during an otherwise-normal pass? If it's the latter, I would ignore what the speedometer reads and trust the times. My speedo reads high and low, but the boat's locked in solid and not surging. I attribute this to the speedo displaying a single, instantaneous reading off the GPS system. I would also call Mark at PP and tell him what you're seeing. Make sure you know what version you have because Mark will ask. (The version flashes on the screen when it first powers up and can also be found under System Info.) If you have a more recent version, it's only $50 to upgrade to version 9. I've upgraded two boats to version 9, both with outstanding results.

• Baller
When ZBox first came out, I helped get it set up on two boats...’07 Response, and an ‘05 Prostar 197. We had difficulty on our own getting good bouy times on the Mastercraft. I can’t recall who I worked with at Perfect Pass, but he was awesome helping me get it dialed in. Basically my ski partner and I skied 4 sets one day, recording buoy times each pass. We sent this info to the guy at Perfect Pass and he gave us adjustments to make. After this, times got better. We then skied another day recording the same info, sent him the spreadsheet of buoy times, he told us to tweak a parameter or two a little different, and it pretty much shacked the times. I felt like short of Zero Off, it was the next best thing. Very good pull once set up properly.

• Baller
I've had personal access to 3 stargazer boats. None of them ran right from factory. All needed backgroud settings changed. The ball times should be within a couple of thousands ball to ball or it just won't ski right. That said, the spedo can fluctuate a lot. Look at the ball times down arrow.

• Baller
@shansen345 realistically PP is a new product again with rev 9. Totally different than it was, rev 8 was all over. More fluctuations open water, tighter in a mapped course. If you have another good gps speed source run it side by side the numbers shift more on the PP than I see running a phone gps for instance.

• Baller
If it is possible to convert to ZO it is worth it over any version of perfect pass. Now if that means you have to swap the motor.. Probably not. I went from perfect pass to ZO this year, and it is much more consistent. It cost me about $2000. Well spent at this point.

• Baller

The speed fluctuation, when and how much, defines the feel of the pull. If the fluctuation isn't right or too variable, the pull will feel bad and scores will suffer.

PP Classic was very consistent. I liked the feel with the switch. The speed variations were predictable and within tolerance. It took a savvy driver to get times close to perfect but tournaments ran well.

I struggled with Stargazer. Both the feel and consistency were difficult for me. While times were perfect, it seemed to make that end course time right by hammering 5 ball. As soon as that year's Nationals (Stargazer for my division) was over, switched to ZO and never looked back.

The rides I've had as a guest behind the latest version of PP have been good. Maybe not ZO but much better than the older version I skied.

So either go back to PP Classic (and train your driver well) or get the latest upgrade Zbox. PP is still improving their product!

Eric

• Baller
I thought of this thread last night driving a ZO boat. With the ZO set at 34.2 the indicated speed fluctuated all over the place from a high 35.8 to a low 32.2. I see similar fluctuations with my PP SG Zbox running version 9.12, but ball times are very close. Skiing behind version 9.12 and ZO on a similar H.P. boat I can no longer feel a differece in practice or tournaments.

• Baller
@UWSkier . I have a 98 malibu echelon with monsoon serve and throttle. ran 6.5ng in classic then upgraded to stargazer w/ zbox. I used to suck skiing behind ZO and training with classic and now I really don't notice a difference. splits are almost always within 0-2 hundredths and end to end times always good. it seems to work better for me with the skier weight at feather or light even for heavier skiers. Can't explain why but if the times are good I don't really care and then I don't have to mess with it. Feel free to PM me.

• Baller
@UWSkier Version 9 is very hard to overshoot - you really have to bury the throttle. This assumes your mechanical linkage is operating smoothly with a good return spring (or springs). Upgrading to 9 from 6.5 and adding ZBox will come very close to making your Response feel like a ZO setup. You might have to make some tweaks to the background settings. Mine was great out of the box. @BraceMaker nailed it: it's a whole new product.