Need a new handle: Got recommendations?

escmanaze

• Baller

Hi Guys,

I got invited to ski a private lake. Brought my handle. Left it there. Dummy. Anyway, in the market for a new one. I would love to hear any feedback positive or negative out there.

P.S. Sorry, if thread is a complete repeat. I couldn't find any with the search function, and figure it probably doesn't hurt to update it every now and then anyway.

• Baller
Also, I'm up for size recommendations as well. I'm 5'11" with hands that are big enough to palm a grippy basketball and not big enough to palm one that isn't grippy. What in the world even is the right way to determine the size I should be using?

• Baller

Diameter is all feel. I have similar size hands and use 1.03, but so does my wife who has much smaller hands. I ski with a guy that uses a handle about the diameter of my 10-year-old’s. You just have to try what others may have and roll the dice.

For 12 vs 13, it depends on how often you might hook a finger. I used 12 for years but kept missing with one or two fingers so I went to 13. Again, all personal feel.

• Baller
I’d go for a Masterline custom, 13” 1.03 which I think is considered the standard recommended size as it suits most people. Have been told lots of things by top skiers in the past re- widths, i.e. the taller you are and wider your shoulders are, then go with a 13”, yet some people say the wider handle is useful to create stability on the pull. Others said the smaller 12” handle helps to keeps your elbows pinned to your vest! I’m only 5ft 9 with smallish hands and I use a 13” as I used to miss the handle with my pinkie every now and then, and 1.00 diameter as it just seems to fatigue my grip less than a larger one. Guess it depends on how you hold the handle too but I’m sure I heard that Whitney uses a 1.062 which is large for a female skier.

• Baller
Really love In Tow with Spectra and the safety bar is recommended. Of course Masterline are great too. It has been said that thicker handles may reduce arm strain, I am 5 11 XL gloves and went from a 1.00" to a 1.092" ( I use a 13") and have had no 'tennis elbow' ever since the change, admittedly I am one data point but there may be something to that. I am approaching the dawn of Men7 age too. Since that when I take the occasional set with the old spare 1.00 I can tell I am squeezing more.

• Baller
Radar 13" Vapor Boa 1"... I went with the .94 and wear x-large Boa gloves. Have a bit wider paws with slightly long fingers even though I am not that big of guy overall. My thinking on 1" or below for me is where the handle sits cupped in my fingers. If ya have a chance to grab a few different widths you may surprise yourself with what you decide. I was lucky enough to visit Wiley's in Seattle many years back and put a few handles in my hand. I tried fatter ones earlier on but they fatigued my forearms as I remember. If you have access to a pro shop I would wander in. You could also call Performance Ski and surf and see if they would not mind sending you a couple widths with the possibility of sending one back.

• Baller
1.062 13” have used In-Tow w/spectra last two handles. masterline currently, going on second season, so it seems comparable. Kevlar gloves are hard on handles and we get about 2 years out of them. I’ve used ML as large as 1.125”. But like 1.062 best.

• Baller
Masterline 1.062”. Adjust diameter to your needs. Super grippy, high quality rubber. 13”, less chance of a misgrab That, in combination with Radar Kevlar Vapor Pro gloves and getting a good grip will not be an issue.

• Baller

Thanks everybody, this is very helpful.

@ScotChipman1 it was up at Call's Fort. I'm in communication with the guy who invited me. He is going to check. Hopefully it's still there. We will see.

I may very well buy a new one regardless for various reasons.

Thanks everybody. Keep em coming please.

• Baller

@owennibley You ski at Call's? Yes indeed, that is it, the white rope and black handle. That is great news (tentatively of course). Hopefully the guy that invited me will remember to check next time he's up there and see it there. Thanks much, that's encouraging.

And yes, for my next handle I might just go radius and try it out. I think I might like it. We'll see.

• Baller
Skied the last 3 days with my new 13" US Gear Pro V Spectre rope bridle. Was not expecting much of a feel difference from my 9 yr old version but was I wrong. It's light as a feather, it floats and I never came close to missing a grab. Ordering another so I am never without one.

• Baller

@escmanaze as you see you have many people say three things. Masterline, in tow and us gear. Us gear take forever to get. In tow is basically a mom pop company. Masterline has tested product by skiers. The product is built for skiers by skiers. You will have many more options that are not on the web site so you would have to ask for them such as a a plastic/rope handle guard. There product is all made in the USA. I don’t think in tow and us gear can say that. There is a reason Masterline is in every major tournament. It’s your money. Get what feels best in your hands.

• Baller
In Tow isn't "mom and pop" its just Brenda. She will make you an awesome handle any way you want it, right in Mesilla Park, NM. If you don't know what you want, call her up and she'll talk you through the options. Then she'll build the handle and promptly ship it after she writes your name or nickname on it (which is a nice little personal touch). Brenda is a class act. I won't buy ropes or handles from anyone else.

• Baller
Calling In tow a mom and pop company to make it seem like it’s a lesser quality option is utter BS! Her products are top quality and so is the customer service! I’ve been buying ropes and handles from Brenda for over 10 yrs. never once had a problem.

• Baller
I wear XL "41Off" gloves. My hands are pretty big and I like the larger handle diameter. I went from something like 0.95" diameter (or maybe it was 1.00") and now have a 1.062" Masterline handle, 13" wide. It's great and the larger diameter keeps it from feeling like rebar shoved into the base of my fingers. Used to get that if I pulled hard on the old smaller diameter handle. I saw something even bigger in FL. It might have been >1.1" diameter. Decide also if you want the full-rubber wrapped V-ropes or just caps and a short wrap. I have the latter and it's fine too.

• Baller

@dave2ball You are wrong on so many items in your above post...

1. By mom and pop, if you mean small company but high quality, then you're right, otherwise, NO

2. The product is built for skiers by skiers - So are InTow products, or maybe you don't consider F. Winter, R.Pigozzi, C. Vaughn, Manon, Jamie, Tayor G, Zack skiers?

3. InTow products are handmade in NM

4. There is a reason Masterline is in every major tournament - Simply marketing and partnership, doesn't mean they are better/worse than the competition

I'm not bashing Masterline - they make really good products that I have used before.