Denali C75 Mid Review

Horton

• Administrators

As stated many many times in the past - the goal of these reviews is to describe more than to judge. With that in mind I am totally stumped. I have NO IDEA what is going on under my feet when I ride the C75.

What I can say is that I am skiing the best of my life by a big margin. For the last 10 years I have run 38 in practice between 10 and 20 times a year. For the last month on the C75 I have run 38 at least once every practice set (except for one set where I was trying different fin settings). Sometimes I run it off the dock and sometimes it takes me 4 tries but either way this is a whole level above my skiing ever before.

• Baller

@Horton ... What do you feel are it's main attributes, such as....acceleration off the ball ? turns on a dime ? fast cross course ? shuts down quicker ? large sweet spot ? feels really light ?

Probably gonna say, "Ya, it does all those things."....Has to be something that really stands out.

• Administrators
@Ed_Johnson One of the biggest things is that I can screw up and then often stay in the pass. As I ski on it more I am smoother and smoother at 32 and 35 but I make mistakes at 38 and seem to get away with so much. I suspect that in the end the key factor is going to be the way the ski makes speed into the wakes and then bleeds it back off at the ball.

• Baller

@Horton ...Thank you for the response. One last easy question. Do you feel you have to maintain a certain body position to get it to perform, such as a forward stack ??

As an example, when I tested the NRG and the EVO last year, the EVO was fastest by far but could only attain cross course angle with a good forward stack, where as the NRG allowed you to be all over the place and never punished you...Thanks !!

• Administrators

Out of curiosity I had a friend of mine who runs about a pass less than I do try my C75. The question was would a skier who is not accustomed to trying a lot for skis be able to jump right on it and rip.

He said he had more space than expected but that the ski was a little bit of work. The ski turned very dependably for him but I am sure my settings are a little too aggressive. The conclusion was - Yes the ski is user friendly enough for anyone to ride and yes he wants to ride it more.

My settings are likely not perfect for him - I will have Cord cook some different settings before he tries it again.

• Supporting Member
I think I said a similar thing earlier, but in light of your 3 @ -39 I say again: As much as I truly expect this ski to be amazing, running 3 @ -39 is some damn good skiing no matter what you're standing on! Great work and keep it up!

• Baller
Hey guys sorry to those of you on the wait list who haven’t yet had a chance to order a ski. We got bogged down with me moving from the east coast to the west coast, and Caldwell running around like a mad man working, running Trophy Lakes, starting an Aquapark, breaking records, and building skis. Things are starting to calm down now for us so ski production is picking back up.

• Supporting Member

@Horton You may need to add an OMGWTF button.

For those too lazy to count, and at the risk of blowing Cord's attempt to be subtly understated, that video shows a lifetime practice PB of 3 @ -41. And is it just me or does he look like he can go a lot further?

(Btw, I busted out my stop-watch because -38 looked so damn slow, but it really was about 16 seconds...)

• Baller_
+1 for @Than_Bogan button idea. I had to watch this twice as I thought I did lose count. Ummmm ? didn't think he actually had a shot at catching Caldwell when his boat speed goes to 34mph next year. Not so sure now.

• Baller
If you need help send it to me and I'll give it a rip for you. Although I do need a large. Skiing on the version before the final one, a Medium. Really like it. Can't wait to see what you think about it. I believe it is a game changer for sure.

• Baller
How hard can it be, @Horton? It's a slalom ski! The thing slides on top of the water when attached to a skier being pulled by a speedboat and it turns right or left depending on which way you lean on it. What more is there to it than that? ;)

@AdamCord, great talking to you today Adam, and thanks for the skiing pointers. The ski sizing is really interesting. Small, medium, large,= same length, different widths. Great to see you ski into 41 off, the Denali looks really good. Maybe see you tomorrow, if your up there.