What is a good ruff water ski and to learn the course?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a ski for ruff water and to learn the course. I mainly free ski at 15off at 32mph. I have a HO CX, Connelly Carbon V, and I'm looking for something different. I was looking at a free ride, but the deal didn't work out. I was thinking of buying a Radar Union. I like that the Radar is a 24-32mph ski.

• Administrators

I am not sure there is such a thing as a good rough water ski.

The HO freeride is a fine ski but it is not really for going around balls. It is a comfortable cruiser.

For learning the course the CX and the Carbon V are great. The Radar Union as also a great ski but if you are looking for something really different and or better then higher end skis are the next step.

Hmm. I guess I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I love the HO CX its ok in the choppy water. The only issues with that is I let my dad ski on it and he kind of took it over. Its kind of a pain when you only have one ski in the boat. I like the Carbon V, but in choppy water it doesn't work for me. Maybe trying something different would be the way to go.

• Baller

When you get to the course you'll probably want to slow down to learn the course.

I'd say Katana or Union and they're still good for free skiing up to 30 or 32 mph.

Also you won't get as tired on those at slower speeds.

• Baller
I'm with @dave2ball, skis that ride deeper especially in the turn. Maybe a 2020 vapor and not necessarily a probuild. Connelly gt-r. D3, I was on X7 for a whIle it was a good rough water ski. Skiing rough water will teach to stay on edge.

• Baller

@Horton - this is from experience skiing both models in both constructions, I find the pmi core is more flexible and reactive - hence the ski vibrates and flexes more as you hit bumps on rougher water - which I find disruptive, the stiffer cores IMHO do a better job of plowing throw the chop - proving a smoother experience on rough water.

I mention the difference in construction and the brand because this is my point of reference.

A point of reference to help address the OP’s ask - to find a ski that can run the course but also handle rougher water...

Skiis like the pro build vapor chatter in rough/choppy water like an old man’s teeth on a frigid winter morning.

• Baller
@Jmoski I'm not sure I agree with your assessment. The vibration youfeel with the pro build is because the ski is stiffer, meaning it is being excited at a higher frequency. Instead, the softer flex of the Alloy dampens the vibrations down. That's why my dad's Freeride is nicer in rough water than my Carbon Omni. The Freeride is noticably more flexible under foot in turns too.

• Baller
Spend some time getting your Carbon V dialed in and it is a great performer in the course. It seems as soon as we raise our course, somebody feels the need to start wakeboarding right next to us, so we're always in rough water. No complaints with the V in that respect.

• Baller

Speed that you can ski a particular ski is entirely based on your weight and speed - going slower is great in terms of tolerating rough water (also for your boat crew)

I rode a HO coefficient X which is the precursor to that CX and it was fine at "normal rough" but it was not a slower speed ski.

Yesterday AM when we left the lake had a stiff wind and 1-1.5' waves with whitecapping. When we returned to the dock the waves were 2.5 feet and we were running with the wind at about the speed of the waves.

Where we were skiing one end was almost perfect conditions other than boat waves and the other you'd spin in over really fierce chop. And I will say the headwind passes in that chop at 30mph felt like 36 but my syndicate omni did great in it.

• Baller

@vtmecheng - interesting perspective you raise, One thing there is no doubt on is the non pmi core skiis handle the rough water better.

Better word choice of yours - a better “damping” effect for open water than “stiffer”.