What makes a handle good.

ChiroBlitz

• Baller

@MS @bananaron. DITTO....What ever US Gear DID~!..... I guess there is no more US GEAR? ~~~> Their site is not working and I heard Randy Deyer is in poor health. Too bad he did not take my offer to teach me to build his handles but I really did not have anything to offer except for the fact we could have delivered handles faster and on time and build a better "No Noose" and keep his company/name out of the mud.

8pbu98j7b699.jpeg

• Administrators

MasterLine hands down makes the best stuff.

What's important? Accuracy of length. Quality materials. The right size handle diameter for your hands. There is some magic to the right geometry of the triangle which I don't completely understand cheaper handles feel wrong. Other...

• Baller

I wish MasterLine would offer some type of a handle guard as a easy add-on option. Something more than just the little cross bars I've seen in the past.

Personally I think that is one of the easiest safety improvements we as skiers can make to our gear.

• Baller
I agree with @Horton. Masterline makes all there ropes in house using only material made in USA. So all aspects of the rope is tightly controlled to all specifications. There handles are also made to strict specs set forth by Masterline after may test compounds were tried and made in USA. Together you have a quality product that sets the bar pretty high for quality and durability.

• Baller

US Gear is still taking orders, at least he was a couple of months ago. We ordered 4 handles and got them all.

I would buy Masterline handles in the Ergo series if they offered different diameters; but, they don't and they indicated they wouldn't. US Gear offers any size diameter you request. They have some way of grinding the rubber down.

• Baller

@BrennanKMN. Talking with Russle at Masterline circa 2015: "We as a handle manufacturer can/should not offer guards or we are admitting something is wrong with the handles" (which opens them up for lawsuits if someone gets hurt)

@skibug WOW I was told they were defunked by 2 of the top manufacturers. Going to try to get a 13"..Thanks fo the input~!

• Baller

Pic of Rubber shrink wrap over tear. Was first try with 30mm wrap. got better on other shrinks. 3 sets @ - 28 and -32 @34 today shows no wear. Little bit slippery but can be fixed roughing up with a fine sandpaper. Can buy rubber shrink wrap on evil pay. I2xpf4chsvoqn.jpg

s sold as a grip for fishing rods. Was about $8.00 for 39".

• Baller
@thager looking at the misbraid right at the V where the orange and black is put together just shows the lack of quality control in US Gear product. The V where the 2 ropes come together even looks crooked. How could US Gear let this out of the factory?????

• Baller_

I just retired a pink Spectra US Gear 12 inch .950

After 3 seasons of both @Mrs_MS and me using it. It’s was dead on accurate when I got it and when it was done. Had the handle not hit my ski in the same spot multiple times, I would still use it.

I super glued it and it will make one of the neighbor kids a great handle

• Baller

During an annoying rainy day last week, @skiep taught me how to make a handle. Made two so far and I agree with @horton, there's some weird magic to the triangle that the measurement tape doesn't grasp. However, once you get the basics, you can basically create the handle any way you want. Make sure to have good rope, I'll say that from the start.

I played with triangle size a bit and I found a smaller triangle to be more responsive onside turns, but also harder to stay relaxed offside turn as the rope was pulling me in quicker.

Also, you can play around with how thick you want the triangle, main line, or end loop to be.

Advise: put a nice show on and get yourself a feeder and tons of patience

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
@Andre My first handle @MS is talking about was hollow 1/16 aluminum. Putting cores in them now. I have a tubing bender but 7/8 die is too large to do a US Gear style bend. OK to put bend in normal handle though. Looking for a smaller die now but may just have to make my own.

• Administrators

Regardless of what the the vocal minority says, Masterline simply makes the best stuff. It is not the cheapest but it is dependable and it is built right. The handles last and are accurate.

I do have someone that I trust to restring my used handles. I think currently have 3 handles in rotation. I will have a handle restrung maybe 3 times before I give up and get a new one from Masterline.

• Baller
Masterline is great. So is In-Tow. Were quite a few In-Tows on the podiums this year. My current handle and rope are going into their 5th season with myself and other hacks like me yanking the heck out of it. The replacements are in the trunk when needed. And, Brenda's product knowledge, manufacturing and customer service are second to none.

• Administrators

@ALPJr if you are using the same rope and handle for 5 seasons you either 1 ) do not ski very much, 2 ) do not ski very aggressively, 3 ) you are on the verge of breaking a rope and you are abusing your joints.

Ropes are like brakes on a car. Every rope only has so much life.