Can it ever be the Ski ?

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I have an HO Triumph (2014). 6' tall, 225 lbs, 69" ski. Love the ski but have struggled off and on all year with deep water starts - took me 1/2 the summer to realize that the ski comes up just fine with a soft pull.

Have major struggles with going over the front and popping the handle if I get an aggressive pull. I didn't have this issue with my last ski so it makes me wonder could it be the ski ? About every other week i want to toss the ski and try something else :p

• Baller

Have the same ski in the same length. I find it very easy to get up on VS a more serious 'tournament' ski. Bought the ski with my dad so we could both get up on it behind anything.

Have skied behind underpowered boats and also seadoos and it works nice for getting up.

It may be the ski but I would say it's most likely the technique

• Baller
I'm 6-2 and 215. Been skiing on an older KD Evolution which was a bit wider in the tip and tail than the 7000 I had been on before that. I tell anyone that's driving to hit it hard. Nail it. Never had any issues. I'll be trying my new-to-me 2018 Radar Senate this weekend so we'll see....

• Baller
Ski_Dad, it is definitely the ski! It’s a great ski but requires a very smooth pull up. Ask your driver to go smoothly to 1/3 or half throttle and leave it there until your up and skiing. Also pay attention to what your wearing when you have a good day vs a bad day. Board shorts with stretch material in the legs makes a big difference in helping in the pull up. If your wearing a wetsuit and notice it’s harder to get up try wearing board shorts over the top. It’s not the best look but it can make a big difference. Hope this helps.

• Baller

I'm sure it's me - this ski is plenty big enough and I never expected it to be an issue. In a soft pull i can feel the ski transition to plane and I get up 95% of the time. But a fast pull i just never feel the ski plane - it will plow and I loose the handle and it can take me 3 tries if I get a hard pull.

What do I do when I get a hard pull to keep from to far going forward before the ski planes ? Honestly I like it hot and don't really like being dragged for 5 seconds but have been putting up with it this summer b/c it consistently gets me out of the water.

• Baller

May sound simple but I have to ‘remind’ myself to pull my back foot to my butt/ not push at all with back leg until ski is out of the water.

Doing this has made my deep water starts much easier.

I had a tendency to push evenly with both feet too soon which would cause my body to want to pivot over the front.

Getting up on the water is skier error almost always, but I did get a ski last year that I could not ski well on no matter what.

Four or five sets and not one 28 off pass. Not even close

Every ski I have had in the last 10 years I could run at least 32 off on semi regular basis except that one.

• Baller

Bigger skis need a slower initial pull by the boat with steady increased power.

Think about all the resistance you have in between you and the boat.

Keep the ski more at a 45 degree angle if you can and then tense up as the gas is applied. I also lean slightly to my right and have more right arm tension. RFF. I need to avoid the dreaded death roll left.

• Baller
I ski with a big guy that drags a foot getting up. As driver have figured out a steady roll into the throttle works best for him. I've been using this now for everyone I pull and it works well. Even for skiers that like the hammer, just roll into it a bit faster. Despite the joking it really could be the drivers pull up isn't helping things.

• Baller
As others have said, the Triumph could create more drag. It doesn't hurt to try a different ski if you have the opportunity to do so. Technique is a very important factor, though. Hug your knees as hard as you can and push with the toes of your front foot. Stay there until you plane. On the other hand, a ski that is too small creates other problems. I normally ski on a 67" radar and once last year I had to use a 65" radar. I had a horrible time getting up.

• Baller
I have to agree that I think it is you. If the ski is plowing then it is too vertical when you are getting up. At 215lbs that ski should get you out of the water with no problem. Try to make sure that when you are in the water your back foot is tucked up under your butt. If you were on a 67” competition ski I would say it might be the ski but that Triumph should get you up no problem.