Dave Goode, 1955-2020

Horton

• Administrators

dg11520b

It is with a heavy heart that GOODE Skis announces the passing of its founder and president, Dave Goode.

Dave, 64, died Wednesday while taking part in one of his many passions, piloting his airplane.

Through his numerous technological advancements in both water skiing and snow skiing, and financial support of countless events and athletes in both sports, Dave touched the lives of thousands of people by helping them, and the sports they love, push the limits of performance.

A 2014 USA Water Ski Hall of Fame Award of Distinction recipient and member of the Michigan Water Ski Hall of Fame, Dave was an accomplished international competitor in both sports, recently winning the downhill event at the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Alpine Masters National Speed Series and earning a bronze medal in trick skiing at the Pan American Senior Water Ski Championships.

Dave leaves behind his beloved wife Dawn, parents Paul and Mimi, children Michael Goode, Lisa Goode McHugh (John), Whitney Hebard Felkl (Hans), Gregory Hebard (Adrianna), and granddaughters Maple Julia McHugh and Sunny Elizabeth Hebard.

• Administrators

• Baller
Many years ago he called me in response to a set-up question on one of his skis. He took his time listening to me and offering his advice. Topping it off he then gave me his cell and invited me to call anytime if I needed additional help. I was touched by his genuine concern. May God bless his soul and comfort his family.

• Baller
I am so sad to hear about this tradgedy! Dave pushed our sport forward in many ways through his innovation and dedication! I especially enjoyed seeing him become an Overall National Competitor during the last several years. We shared many awesome moments on the Men 5 and Men 6 starting docks with him! My thoughts and prayers are with Dawn and his entire family! Our skiing community sends our deepest condolences!

• Baller

I'm in a state of shock. My thoughts are with his family and all who have been close to him in business and otherwise.

I am a pilot as well, and both Dave, my Father and I flew into regionals together one year and talked airplanes and skiing...geez I was a late teen at the time.

To the Goode family and friends, Dave will not be forgotten. Our time here is finite, and it appears Dave did it right living each day to the fullest, such that when the end comes there may be few regrets. Near as I can tell, Dave did it right.

• Baller

This Sucks! He was such a nice guy... to help ANYONE who wanted to ski better, and absolutely loved to talk skiing! I feel so sorry for Dawn, who is one of the nicest persons I've ever met. He gave so much to one of the sports he loved so much.

Raise a glass this week and celebrate a life well lived.

• Baller
A very tragic event. I met Dave at the SMRR national tournament a couple of years ago. I spoke with him in Charleston and at Cory’s. A true stanchion of the water ski community. My condolences to Dawn and the family. He will be missed.

• Baller
Very sad news in Utah. Here is a good news article and video that was on the local news tonight at 10. About 30 seconds into the video is Dave's voice talking to the tower in Ogden saying he would be landing shortly. https://abc4.com/news/local-news/small-plane-crash-reported-in-roy/ Dave was a genius and always thinking about how to do something better. My sincere condolences to Dawn, his family, friends and all the people who worked with him.

• Baller

So sad. Dave was a brilliant innovator.

His snow skis redefined lightweight performance. Best poles ever. A skilled racer as well.

His waterskis were at the top of every podium. His skiing prowess earned his share of high stakes podiums. His vest allows me to keep skiing despite my back problems. His support of tournament waterskiing was unmatched.

He was a skilled pilot taking delivery of one of the first Cessna Mustang jets.

He was a good friend. The world will miss him. Our lives are richer because of him.

Eric

• Baller
Dave could be considered the Steve Jobs of the waterski industry. While in Michigan he frequented most of the tournaments and was always accessible to any skier who wanted help with ski setup or whatever. He was for sure a pioneer in snow and waterski industries. The first time I strapped on a 9100 it was a game changer right out of the box.

• Members

I am also a user of one of Daves inventions(powervest) to help with back issues.

Dave was a driving force for waterskiing from an international level all the way

down to the individual skier level.My heart goes out to the Goode family and business.

• Baller

I think we are ultimately judged by those we leave an impression with.

For me, I bought a Goode Power Vest a few years ago to help with some lower back issues. I had a problem with one of the gloves disconnecting from it's strap. I called them and Dave himself talked to me and sent me the new parts in the mail. What was impressive is that the vest was bought used, but Dave emphasized how proud he was of the design, how it helped with his lower back problems and how he wanted me to be totally satisfied.

Being from an aviation family, I can only concur that he loved to fly, and was as passionate a pilot as he was about everything in his life.

A life well lived as they say. RIP

2Valve

A year or so ago, there was a major tragedy involving a junior hockey team involved in bus crash. The entire hockey community was devastated by the huge loss, and as a symbol of support, community members placed a hockey stick outside their front doors in respect and memory of those kids that were tragically killed that were never coming home.

Yesterday, I heard the tragic news about Dave Goode and I felt sick for his family and for the waterski community. My thoughts and prayers are with Dawn and the rest of his family. This morning I put a ski on the dock in your memory. Perhaps others might do the same...jmswuybs97uc.jpg

Todd J

• Baller_

Sad to see this happened. Losing Dave is a big hit to water skiing for sure, but at the end of the day that is nothing compared to what his family is feeling. My thoughts are with his family, and advice to any skier, please don't reach out to the family about the skis. They have enough going on. I like Todds idea of putting the ski out like we did for Humboldt.

Prayers to the Goode Family.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
ive never met him or had a Goode ski. But from everyone's comments he was obviously an outstanding guy. I'm a private pilot as well although my plane sold long ago. This news is sad to hear on both fronts. I wish I had a Goode ski to stick out on the dock in support.

• Baller

Back around early 90's, I had a ski course on the Wailua River in Kauai. One day in Feb. this guy shows up from Michigan with a bunch of black blank skis with these hard shell roller blade boots. Said he made Carbon Ski poles for a living and built these new skis out of Carbon Fiber and wanted to test them. Said his name was Dave Goode Little did we know that this would be the birth of Goode Skis and the 9100. The skis performed great, and 3 of us ended up with one. First ski I ever got into 38off.

RIP Dave, you will be missed but never forgotten !!!