• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

@luckyone

https://www.mastercraft.com/prostar

PRICE STARTING AT $74,995

Includes trailer and stereo system. Excludes taxes, freight and prep.

• Baller
Base price of $74,995 for the ‘21 incl. trailer and stereo? Per the MC price list for 2020 the base price was $84,280, Basic single axle trailer was $6,410 and the stereo was $2010 for a total of $92,700. Anyone care to speculate on what this will do to the prices of late model, low hour used Prostars?

• Baller
@Cnewbert A better boat at a better price has to have a big affect on the resale market. As a serious potential buyer, I wouldn't pay anywhere near $70k for a used '20. I can only imagine the dealer incentive to clear new '20 floor models off the lot as well. My gut says '20 pricing will start with a 5 before too long.

• Baller
I agree with swc, if the prices for past and present years being tossed around are accurate, and dealers have similar margins to work with as in past years, I suspect the pricing on the used Prostars will get crushed, absent supply-chain interruptions on the new boats.

• Members

As someone who bought a low hour '20 last fall without knowing about the new model, while I was happy to see the new boat, I was also like, any value that I thought I would have in a short sale is lost and in a big way I think. The plan was not to sell and but I always think about what if scenarios.

The one good thing is that the '20 is a bit of a unique boat now. If you for some reason did not like the design of the '21 but wanted the 6.0L, warranty, etc then the '20 is the only MC to fit that. They did not make many of them so there could be a VERY small niche market.

Having said that the only reason I think a person would not want the '21 is the bend in the side rail, or the more designed rear seats. It would be all design related.

• Baller

Just back from a Prostar demo event in Michigan.

Everything was beyond fantastic.

Freddy Krueger was our tour guide and driver. Wow. Great dude.

Phenomenal job going thru details / improvements. Easy to tell his level of excitement and involvement to be part of the design team.

The boat and improvements shows the minor adjustments are huge.

The screen has much more stuff at once in a very easy format. And it has a clock.

The lighter weight rear seats are sweet. Both price and ease of handling.

The cubbies and storage etc for driver is improvement from the second you look for somewhere to jam your phone(s) and sunglasses.

New battery switch location is for sure better.

For me the biggest change was the new motor box / vents / etc is ridiculously quiet. Like I feel a little silly for how many times I think I said “wow, this is quiet”.

Action Water Sports, as always, gets a huge A+. Setting up event and a little swag are great. Easy choice for boats, gear and parts. Actually was talking to a buddy a few wks ago who was on his way there and quickly called in my order for filters impeller and some misc stuff and they rapidly entered, filled and “shipped” home with him. Glad to have such a good dealer in our region.

Skiing. Boat skis great. I get a lot of time on the ‘14-20 boat and only a 28 off type guy so I clearly didn’t (or make driver) take advantage of the new tracking features.... Having said that the wakes and pull are great. Easy choice there. I decided to go for the “best crash around ball 4 of the day” award vs skiing too great and just took a few pulls.

After my dismount, one of the kids went and took a good handful of passes and got tips / help / motivation after each by Freddy as coach and driver. Huge awesome there! Many thanks x100!

Great job to all and thanks Mastercraft for continuing to improve on a great product for us and roll it out in such a nice touchable and relatable fashion!

• Baller

Wasn’t the trick tank an option on the 2020s?

Do we know why it isn’t on the 2021 configuration options list?

From the 2020 awsa tow boat evaluation:

MasterCraft Ballast/ Weight System – Tricks Only

TheMasterCraftProStarwastestedandapprovedforuseintheTrickeventwiththeuseofanadditionalballast/weightsystemas configuredbyMasterCraft. The ProStar can be used for tricks both:

1) with the ballast / weight system;

and 2) without the system.

IF the boat is used with the ballast/weight system, it must be configured as it was tested and approved. Specifically, the MasterCraft ballast / fat sack must be installed in the bilge; under the floor compartment which is under the middle seat. The sack must be completely full when used for tricks (no partial fill). In addition, 75-pound weights as configured by MasterCraft must be installed in each of the rear compartment trays (150 lbs. total). Storage compartment trays are located under the access doors at the stern.

The ProStar is not approved with any other configuration, in other words, a user cannot simply put a ballast / fat sack or weights on the boat floor.

• Baller

Having driven, skied and looked over the new 2021 Prostar, it is truly an amazing boat. One of the major improvements is to the tracking. One can see on the video the "channels" molded into the hull to aid in tracking.

Always thought my 2004 196 Limited tracked really well. Turns out, that hull has similar, though not identical, channels. Variations of a theme. My 196 is now 17 years old and I have to give CC and Andy Mapple a ton of credit for the innovation they implemented but that was removed from the bottom of the boat after 2 years to improve trick wakes. For a good tracking slalom tug, even though she is 17 years old, she evidently has some modern attributes. Certainly no where near the boat the new Prostar is, but still a good tug!

• Baller
I liked the location of the Perko Switch and breakers on the old version. Any comments on the new boats location of these items? Electrical connections and breakers close to the bilge water now? The only thing on the new boat that makes me go hmmm??

• Baller
Agree @Dacon62 The location in the walk through took a little effort to get to, but not terribly inconvenient. Something happens and you get too much water in the bilge and all the electrical connections are under water. Looks like thats the whole panel with all circuit breakers and fuses isn't it? could have just done the main shut off, as high as possible. Certainly is more convenient, but.....

• Baller

I had the opportunity to ski both the 2020 and 2021 today. Same lake same driver about an hour between sets. At my line lengths and speed -22, -28 and -32 @ 32.3mph I noticed absolutely no difference in the wake.

@Dacon62 I didn't mind location the of the switch either but I will say if you get water up high enough to affect the new location you have more serious problems.

• Baller

@Andre - agreed that the nautique hydrogate in slalom mode makes a really small wake, not good for tricking or other recreational wake skiing.

I guess I just would have anticipated a similar solution from the new Prostar, or at a minimum the integrated ballast option that seemed to appear in 2020 and now isn’t being mentioned for 2021. You can’t tell me th ballast tank is a big cost adder; especially if they are sourcing the parts for the passenger balance tank already. BOS members have tapped into that for their own weight systems. Why not make the ballast tank an “option” in order to not impact the base price we all like so much?

Don’t get me wrong the new Prostar is a phenomenal package - but we are missing the 3rd event here which has been a known hull shortcoming for 6 years. In those years, we kept hearing “mastercraft is working on a solution”. Has that performance requirement has been abandoned?

• Baller_

I am going to debunk the idea that the 14-19 mastercraft is a "Bad" tricking boat..

This last weekend at the florida states the mastercraft went out almost as much as did the Nautique for the trick events.

No weight in the boat, no ballast bags in the back just a couple 50 pound lead bags.

I noticed the bags on the dock more then the boat.

Yes admittedly the boat does not have the same wakes for trick as the 197, however the current prostar is far superior in slalom wake and jump performance.

Looking forward to the new mastercraft experience.

Like I said in a previous post someone put some thought into what the boats purpose is for and not a scaled down wake barge.

• Baller

From my understanding the only way to add additional production slots would be to fabricate an additional mold.

I guess MC has to determine if thus year's demand was a result of the new hull and COVID or if it will be sustainable. Also, ski boats tend to have the smallest profit margin so if they can fill production slots with more profitable models it does not make financial sense to build additional ProStars.

• Administrators
It is my expectation that inventories will normalize in the next year. Because of Covid the factory was closed for 2 months and demand was at record levels. It was the perfect storm to create a shortage for the calendar years 2020 and 2021. It also does not hurt the that the new boat is freak’n awesome.

• Baller
Let's just hope they keep building 'em. A number of auto manufacturers are giving up sedans...only crossovers, SUV's, trucks. Demand for sedans is low, profit is better on SUV's--so they build SUV's. The whole situation has sure made the used market interesting--but that's a different thread.

• Baller
Is anyone with a 2021 on order affected by the resin/materials shortage working through the supply chain currently? I guess the TX storms did a number on raw material supply. Malibu has had to delay production for a number of units, and resin prices on the innerwebs are kindof high compared to normal currently. I'm sure they're not the only manufacturer to have to adjust.

• Administrators
@DaveD I don't think it's substantial but I have heard of boats being completely finished except for a touch screens because they were on backorder