NEW PROSTAR??????????

dave2ball

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
@The_MS .... the same man who hates children dislikes the removable bow cover. I have no idea how or why @Mrs_MS puts up with him. It just doesn't make any sense.

• Baller
Personal taste; love the removable bow cover for the times we get kids out for fun stuff , love the pickle fork for the looks and the fact that my front dock fender bumps right in between the two forks if I dock it a bit hard.

• Baller

@The_MS - you could remove the interior and silicone around the cover - would come off easily enough later by running some dental floss around it.

@MISkier love it or hate it all the boats these days are pretty much at the maximum permissible towboat beam dimensions (which the SN is a wide load in new york state go figure get your chase car ready)

This creates an aesthetic issue which is that to keep as much space as possible across the cockpit you end up having a lot of width to bring together in a relatively short nose space.

All of the newest generation boats are doing something to hide that width and all of the brands have basically done something similar follow whatever you thinks looks good for the rub rail and then stick something in the middle to bring it together. Nautique has that weird Delta Fighter V at the front, MC has the pickle, the Malibu looks like the two sides stop and someone slipped a different bow in between them.

• Baller

Interested to see this. I’m not a 39 off skier but really like the Prostar.

Only improvements I could request (which is likely too late if they are releasing in a few wks).

Raise the bow up 2-6” to prevent water over the front on public lakes or with kids in front.

Eliminate the raised side decals - pain for detailing.

Clock. Why can’t the main screen have a clock vs having to press two buttons to get there then one back out.

Manual switches for driver seat heater and heater vs touchscreen. (Getting picky here).

That’s is. The boat is wide and huge inside and Skis great. The ski racks and bimini are marvelous.

• Baller
I would like to see 3 options, open bow, closed bow, or open bow with the cover. I finally got to drive one of the new pro stars(2016). I thought is was a piece of cake to drive. I like the bow cover so you have a closed bow most of the time, but I would like to see a better mechanism to lock it down.

• Baller
I heard rumors about this back in early spring. The pic on the email invite shows little departure from the current exterior look anyway. You can tell there's a bigger screen, which should be an obvious change regardless. Fingers crossed for a tune-able rudder!!

• Baller
So cool that I got to hear about this back in March and yet news is only just coming out now. I’m in about the furthest In the world place possible from where it is being made. More than 50 improvements. Will be very interesting to see it!

• Members

This is posted:

We are launching a brand-new ProStar complete with a new hull design and construction process, refined driver experience, thoughtful integrations and more.

I did see there is a new logo on the side of the boat, wonder what the hull and construction process differences are. Hope they do not make me regret buying a 2020.

• Baller

@oldjeep - there's just not a ton of rhyme or reason to that. We had a 20 foot run about with plenty of freeboard, open bow, seating for 10 people comfortably. NMMA plaque for 7 - which I believe the 1990 prostar had a plaque for 8 people.

I've had sheriff boats stop me in the past for marine safety checks in the ski boat when I had 6 people and be astounded that I was under the capacity plate. But I've never had anyone question the runabout even though its weight capacity as I remember it was 7 people but they would have had to weigh 140 lbs to be under the weight.

Even compare the Ski nautique 200 to the Prostar - SN apparently has lighter crew weight.

• Baller
@BraceMaker - my point was that putting more than 7 people (or even 7 people) in a comp boat on a big lake is a miserable experience unless you like filling the boat with water. One of the main reasons I own a VTX was bigger lake experience in my inlaws SSLXI and RLXI. I remember one trip having to "plow the road" for them with the runabout I had at the time on LOTO so that they didn't get swamped.

• Baller

@oldjeep yeah you’re right, 7 people in a competition ski boat might be a miserable experience. And about the time one of those peeps start to complain I tell them to get in their boat. Besides not like it’d be all day, most likely a trip to the sand bar and you’re set up all day.

A few thoughts on the USCG placards.... I’ve been stopped for being under capacity but not seated in approved USCG seating.... WTF is that?! Can’t have 2 people in a seat either. How many seats are in comp boat? 3? My ‘76 is rated for 6 people I believe, with the standard driver and observer seat and then a foam pad in the rear for a seat. If that’s USCG approved seating the standards must be pretty low. I’m in process of buying/building a 21’ flat bottom Carolina Skiff. It’s approved for 16 passengers but damn sure ain’t 16 seats.

• Baller
Let me get this right some of you are complaining about a purpose built 3 event competition ski boat does not fit your needs for a family fun boat? I think you are looking at the wrong boat for your needs. I Believe the rest of us probably never have more than two people in the boat including the driver and a skier, wanting the boat to track properly and have a small wake. The  purpose of this boat or any three event boat

• Baller

If you like boating in general, and skiing, and want the best ski boat out there......There also isn't a better 3 event boat for all purpose boating than the prostar. We don't have much need to pack more than 6 people in very often (although I think we did make it to 7 when taking my girlfriends family with 3 grandkids out tubing.) We do a lot of general boating in addition to skiing, going everywhere with the boat, including gulf of mexico. However.....I would never suggest that a 3 event boat needs to change to be more general purpose friendly. We wanted a ski boat, and have found it to work very well in general boating also.

While we often end up with 4 across the driver/observer seats or 2 paired up (nice and cozey) in the back seats, then the bow can easily sit 2. I think 7 is a pretty good rating. Coast guard probably wouldn't want to approve more than 3 (driver/observer) then 1 each in the back seats, 2 in bow.

• Baller

@ScottScott not sure I agree on that. Prostar is the best ski boat yes, but not the best ski + small family boat on open lake. SN 200 OB or the newer Nautique 200 is in my opinion a much better ski boat that in a pinch can serve the family needs. Yes having multiple boats would probably be better but thats not an option and I'm not willing to compromise on the ski experience and get some v drive multi-purpose thing.

bottomline for me

If I am at a tourny or a private dedicated ski lake and there is a new Prostar I am pumped but I own a SN 200 for the family.

All that said I think it would be silly for Mastercraft to build a boat that compromised on anything to better meet family needs. They have other boats for families.