55K World Elite Slalom

Alberto Soares

• Baller

What's with all the crap about a tourney that was basically a replacement of the "Big Dawg" when CC bailed? I don't get it. Those rules are almost identical. Is there really that much interest from pros over 35 wanting to compete in it? I doubt it.

I thought they threw it open to women pros because it mixes it up a bit. A lot of them will be very competitive in it. Will they win? Maybe not (although I wouldn't count Regina out), but I do think several can advance in brackets....and i think they would have a lot of fun. The ski world is not that big...try to have a little more fun, and not be so seriously offended like everyone out there in the "regular" world.

• Baller

My original comment, which seemed to spark most of the controversy, was really just poking fun at the name. If you're hosting an event, you have the right to make whatever rules you want. But calling it "Elite World Tour" and then not letting the Elite skiers come? You're just asking for it at that point.

If we want to dive deeper into the rabbit hole, we can talk about top level over-35 skiers and how most of them/us fall out of the sport. @liquid d are there many old pros who would have signed up for this event? You're right, there probably aren't. But do you ever wonder why? Mostly BD, but also events like this create a culture of exclusion of skiers like that. There are a lot of people who don't seem to want these skiers competing in 55k tournaments. I've heard the arguments about how BD started as a backyard amateur series for top level M3/4/5 skiers. And if that's what it still was then that's great. But it became a World tour, with sponsorship dollars, webcasts, etc, basically competing with real Pro events. I don't have a problem with a senior/55k tour that is well run and funded. In fact I think it's great for the sport and would like to see more of it. But the rules have become more and more exclusionary to keep the better/younger 55k skiers out, because a lot of guys with egos don't want to get beat.

Some of us have kicked around the idea of putting on some more inclusive events. Hopefully we can make that happen in the next few years. How much fun would it be to have an event for ANYONE over 35 skiing 55k? CP, Asher, Tgas, Caldwell, Parsons, TW, Trent, and on and on. Would be a blast.

There seems to be a lot going on on this thread and quite a big misunderstanding concerning Pro Open Women's reasons not to compete in the event. Here is why I personally decided not to go.

As I told Marc privately yesterday, my decision has nothing to do with my confidence in my skiing abilities not any sort of worries about competing against whomever it might be.

As a professional woman skier, my goal is to help grow pro women slalom as much as possible. I believe our pro women slalom events are a great spectacle. People want to see us ski and compete. The level of women skiing has been increasing considerably and our field has been growing tremendously over the pas few years with more and more women running deep 39 and into 41 off. It has been great to see more people, event organisers and sponsors seeing high value in what we do. I do not wish to bring this value down by seeing pro open women as an "add-on" to a tournament that is meant to be an amateur event; which is why I decided that I would not be competing in the 55K WEST. Not because I am worried I might lose, nor because I don't think the event is a good idea. I think it is great to get amateurs so very excited about skiing competitively. In my opinion it just isn't the type of event I should be competing in (yet!).

• Baller
Maybe we should think of this like golf's Senior Tour. At 50 Phil Mickelson played an event the week after he competed on the regular tour. It has been a right of passage for the "young" buck to come in and dominate for a few years and then fade. Raise the age and let anyone above that age in.

• Baller

Has anyone seen a running order of contestants? Why not quit all the bickering about who's invited and just go watch what should be a fun tournament. Next year if someone wants to have a different format then go for it! The women still have some pro stops left

to ski and I look forward to watching them as well! It's been a tough year guys, let's enjoy the moment!

• Baller

@AdamCord said

“How much fun would it be to have an event for ANYONE over 35 skiing 55k? CP, Asher, Tgas, Caldwell, Parsons, TW, Trent, and on and on. Would be a blast.”

Yes, that would be cool. I hope someone does it and gets a decent field to make it a great event. I am optimistic but unconvinced on both. That said, I would love to ski in it and be happy to have my ass handed to me by everyone mentioned above.

• Baller
It seems that many have a better idea for a format and naming convention for a 55K tournament. I suggest you define the format, rules and name: put up your money, find a suitable site and hold it, and see how successful it is or isn’t. “A test is work a thousand opinions”

• Baller
Proud dad moment. My son, Casey Contos, skied a PB 1 1/2 @41 in the first round of qualifying yesterday, then repeated that score in round two this morning. He’s third seed for the head to head rounds. I guess the changes I made to his fin and boot settings before his last practice rides before the tournament didn’t mess him up!