Safety check

ballsohard

• Baller_
Not a “safety check”. It’s the skier waiting for the boat to advance far enough to connect and go. Sometimes they have to wait. Looks like a pause.. because it is IMHO. But to me they are not doing a safety turn/check to make sure they get the next ball. They are simply being patient to get back in to the swing rhythm with the boat.

• Supporting Member

The Malibu webcast was super-fun, so I guess I wanna purposely "bury my complaint" a little in this thread. But anyhow the combo of Tony and Wade is not my favorite.

On a more positive note, my brief list of amazing announcers has recently added Seth! I think my top 3 favorite slalom announcers, maybe in order, is now:

Freddy Krueger

Freddie Winter

Seth Stisher

• Baller
The "safety check" seemed to be sold as some strategic "letting up" to make a certain score to make a cut vs. just going all out, which I don't buy. I was definitely chuckling when a skier was like obviously doing everything to make a turn in any shape any position and Wade would be like "oh a little safety check at 2" as if they were strategically being less aggressive to "only" make a certain score as they hurtled around the ball in an insane frenzy at 41.

• Baller_
Honestly there’s so may terms that get redefined in this sport. So let’s go with safety check. Ya, when I’m ahead of the boat and I KNOW I’ll be turning into slack so I need to extend my turn and let the boat advance, it’s ALL about safety And it is a check. Each time he used it it was exactly that and at short line it happens often. So I’m gonna give him a pass and all good. Agree with @Than_Bogan on all accounts and would add Ben to that list ( less the calling a pass made at ball 2)

• Baller

Have used the term Safety Check for years, but only as it related to 5 ball. If you had a good pass going and coming into 5 ball you would do a Safety Check, which meant "DON'T CRANK IT," but make an easy turn and pull a little long to 6 ball, as an insurance policy. Anywhere else in the course was scraping.

• Baller
Example safety check: at Nationals the year, last skier out, best score was 2@39. I came into #2 with alot of speed, and knew i only had a 50/50 chance of making it off #2, so I stood up for 2, taking my chances in run off, rather that a likely 1 1/2, if I tried for 3. A sound strategy that utterly failed for me in this instance.