Even nerdier new icon!

Than_Bogan

• Supporting Member

MtG is the greatest game ever made. My game is no Magic, but then again it's also not an inferior attempt to duplicate it. It's a very different type of game that arguably plays closer to Bridge or Spades than to Magic. It's also only going to cost about $25 to own every Arcane Gladiator card, unlike the many hundreds of dollars per year needed to be a "serious" Magic player.

In the early years of Magic, I helped several future Hall of Famers with deck builds for pro events, and in 1999 I created Sabre Bargain, a deck that briefly dominated the Standard Format. But I was only ever a "decent" player. Actually playing the game was only for tuning my deck designs!

• Baller

@Than_Bogan That pharma exec Martin Shkreli known as "pharma bro" was reported to have spent hundreds of thousands USD on Magic The Gathering cards.

I was baffled that a game would be made with cards that are so rare and good to the point of ruining the game for anyone without those impossible to find cards.

• Supporting Member
@ballsohard The cards you're referring to have been banned from tournament play for decades. They have nothing to do with the game itself. But they are rare and certain crazy collectors will bid ridiculous amounts against each other to own them. To me personally, a Black Lotus is worth nothing at all, but I could sell it to a collector for thousands of dollars. To each his own, I guess!

• Baller_

@Than_Bogan - Alright I retract that I'll take you lol. I played very casually back in the late 90s/early 2000s, then didn't for a long time, then found out my best friend used to play as well, so we'll occasionally play with our old-ass cards, decks that would get trounced at a tournament. But earlier this year, during lockdown spare time I endeavored to put together a legit Modern deck. It's not phenomenal, but it can hang. I also discovered https://untap.in, which is amazing - full catalog of the cards, pretty good interface, totally free, upload your deck and play strangers from around the world anytime of day. So it allows one to have fun with it without having to pay a bunch of money for cards, and play a bunch of different people without finding actual tournaments.

In a world of infinite time, I'd be more into it, but it just doesn't make it high enough on my priority list to get much attention. But still love the game.

Just signed up for the Arcane mailing list :)

...imagine it's not long now till we get shut down (rightfully so) for being way off-topic lol.