Which boat (model/year) has the best wakes and why?

jeidmann

• Baller
I would imagine there are a lot of opinions and variables (rope length, etc.) on this. Do the new boats offer a superior wake? How much better are the 2020 boat wakes to older models? I'm currently in the market for a boat and have been looking at everything 2009-2020 (must have Zero Off). The best wake I've personally skied on was a 2017 Centurion, but I'm not a big fan of the boat otherwise. Between Nautique, Mastercraft, and Malibu, I'm partial to Malibu, then Mastercraft. How bout you?

• Baller

You’re really asking a question that can’t be answered, as it’s written. As @Horton states, the wakes are all comparable, -32 and shorter and at speeds of 34mph (55k) and greater. The main differences in wake are when the lines are longer and the speeds are slower. If you’re looking for a specific line length and speed, I suppose a more accurate answer can be given. If you’re asking for the best wake, on average, across all line lengths and speeds, my vote is the 2014 and up Prostar. I love my 196 but pulling a 10 year old girl at 19mph and 15 off, the Prostar puts out such a small wake she is not afraid of the wake and stays on edge into the 1st wake, which she won’t do behind my 196 at the same length/speed.

If other factors are being considered, like the pull, the question, again, needs to be asked differently.

I don’t know if this is helpful, buts it’s my experience

• Members
The Carbon Pro had the best wakes, 15LL through -39, although as @Horton said, no difference -32 and shorter. However, the Carbon Pro was harder to drive straight at deep shortline than say a 200 and the feel of the pull matters more than the wake at shortline. Everyone has their own personal opinion as to which boat provides that, but the 196, 200 and newer MCs tend to be the favorites, although a top driver in the Carbon Pro felt just as good. FWIW, I ski the same bouy count behind all of the new boats, so other factors such as cost and finish are the deciding factors as far as picking a favorite.

• Baller_

eh7qq6jlupwr.jpg

For many years in the 80's this or a similar Steven's flat was my training boat. Wife with foot throttle and a stop watch in hand she could hit 16.08 (according to her) nearly every time. No wake at 15 off and a very minor bump at 22 off.

The problem I had was going to tournaments and having to ski behind the Supreme's , correct crafts and whatever else was being utilized in the 80's the wakes were substantial compared to what I skied with in practice.

Finally bought an American skier in late the 80s.

Funny still have both the flat and the American skier to this day...

• Baller

@Jody_Seal @AndersonSkiTeam Jody, my brother and I learned to ski behind an old 70's flat-hull jet boat with a 440 Olds motor. The wake was soft and flat but the softball-sized balls of water that the jet would shoot into your chest always made wake crossings an adventure. Had a lot of fun behind that boat :-)

As for a buttery wake - the Carbon Pro is the softest wake I've skied

• Baller_

@wilecoyote

These were not jet boats but pure unadulterated inboards. Propeller v-drive go fast application.

I did take a few free rides behind jets back in those days, young and dumb! However there were some comp boats in the 70's and 80's made you feel like you were sking behind a jet boat with marbles coming off the back in a headwind, lol@!

• Administrators
Guys I try to "soft moderate" this forum to stay on topic. I should not have to explain that some of the above posts are perplexingly ridiculous.

I skied behind one of those “drag” boats as a kid. Awesome looks, sound and wakes. AND, forced me to get better ‘cause every time I fell out near a ball the rope would fall on the hot exhaust, get melted through and my dad would shorten 6’!

“Wanna try 38? No? Too bad, that’s all we got left...”

• Baller

@aupatking Good points. I should've clarified, I'm talking EXCLUSIVELY about skiing the course here. I start a tournament at 22 off/34 mph and, on a good day, get deep into 32 or maybe even 35. I'm looking to improve on that. I recognize that the boat alone won't get me there but, given the significant outlay of cash, I'd like to get this right. I've run the course with a 2018 SN several times and the trough off the wake was notable (as an example). I'm primarily looking at 2009-2020 Bu's but I'm open to other options if the consensus is strong. I used to have a 2004 Lxi but I sold it because it couldn't be upgraded to Zero Off. The tourney skiers among us have skied multiple boats in the course so I'd be especially interested in hearing their feedback (some entertaining posts here though). Some mentioned wake consideration for young/novice skiers and that is a factor, so much appreciated. Thanks for all your input.

• Baller_
@jeidmann ZO standardize engine reactivity? Why should they bother when they can just toss out 9 settings to try on all the engines out there. Their mission statement is “ we don’t care because we don’t have to”

• Baller
@jeidmann The short answer to your question on engine reactivity is that Zero Off does not accomplish that. It unclear, to me at least, if that's eControls intention with Zero Off and they just haven't been able to succeed, or if they really aren't trying to accomplish that objective.

• Members

Pull quality as I meant in my post had nothing to do with Zero Off, other than perhaps Zero Off is the current speed control and if you ski tournaments you should probably have it - 13 or so years of boats to choose from.

I meant that a Carbon Pro with a novice driver will not be driven as straight as a 200. A crooked boat path (unless done by a friendly expert) does not feel as good as a good boat path. Boat paths longer than -35 are fairly unimportant compared to wake quality. Some folks complain about some boat and engine combos as “not feeling as good as their favorites”, but if it is your boat, whatever it is, it becomes normal. At the end of the day, all of the newer boats are good, so pick the one the strikes your fancy and enjoy.

• Baller_
@jeidmann - ZO does not 'standardize' the pull, it actually offers 18 different pull options so the answer to your question is 'no' and it gives you options to choose your preferred pull type within its parameters. Also, and several posts in this site detail how different boat / engine combinations react very differently to each other. Some better than others as far as skier feedback. Enjoy your time reading through the threads on it:-)

• Baller

@brettmainer "Boat paths longer than -35 are fairly unimportant compared to wake quality." I'm not sure that I agree with that assessment. It really depends on the skier, how big of a difference in wakes, and how good/bad the driver is. Event at 15 off 30 mph I notice a difference in wakes between an '03 196 and a 2020 Prostar but it's not a problem so long as I'm in a good position. On the other hand, at that length and speed I notice a poor driver with respect to how the handle feels. A good driver makes sure the handle is solid when I complete my turn and am ready to load the rope. The driver also ensures a solid and consistent load by avoiding excess steering inputs. I'm definitely not good enough to notice the difference between a good and a great driver but will notice when a driver is less. If the boat is hard to drive well then an OK driver may transition from fine to poor.

• Baller
I find they all ski well and have scored close to my average behind all of the 5 mentioned (MC, BuTXi, SN, N200 or CP). They all drive differently and decent drivers can handle any of them. (If your ski partner isn't at least a decent driver find a new one? Ha) I will take a well set up older boat over a new boat that does not have proper balance, and rudder torque etc.

• Baller

@hammerski why would they bring back a lower priced boat when they can sell higher priced boats while "begging" for production slots from wakesurf barges orders?

Better chance for someone else to come out with something. But the problem is no one will buy it unless it says MC SN or MBu.

• Baller

On older boats, the 1997-2001 Ski Nautique(aka bubble back) has the best slalom wake. If you do more than slalom then the 1990-1996(a.k.a. slant back) is a good boat. It is still my favorite for tricks/kneeboarding. The crest of the wake is sharp and hard, and the table in between is flat and smooth. The slalom wake is just as flat at the bubble back, but not as soft. It is a bit less forgiving if you are not in the correct pull/lean position. I remove the back seat which flattens it out a bit. The bubble back when compared to modern boats when equipped with the GT40 engine and the latest version of Perfect PAss Stargazer and zbox will give you the best bang for the buck.

• Baller
I'll put out that the mid-2010's were the transition point when boats became much more accepting of crew weight. Go ski a 94 prostar - they're awesome with 2 people in them - toss a crew of 4 it in the cockpit no one will be comfortable and you can pull a gainer off the wake. Do the same in a modern gen prostar and you'll find you can still ski it.

• Baller

@BraceMaker my 2000 SN bubble butt wake is insensitive to full gas, or a 1/4 tank, insensitive to driver only, or driver and two observers plus ski gear for all three of them while I ski. Hole shot is different with 3 dudes in there--takes more throttle.

@ALPJr that boat seems to be missing a pylon! That's a 15 footer, the Ross boys grew up skiing a 13.5 foot Switzer--very similar looking boat. That Glastron in your pic has an 85 hp motor, tho...we hung a 140 on her. 75 mph boat. Good thing we didn't know a damned thing about buoys she didn't track so great...but we blew away a lot of Glastrons, Checkmates, Bajas, jets and Sidewinders in that thing.