2021 Nautique 200 VS 2021 MC Pro Star

Sebgo

• Baller

My dollar vote went to a 2021 Nautique. We absolutely love everything about ours.

If you want to order one, however, you should get an order in because I hear some Nautique dealers are already out or close to out of 2021 build slots across all model lines. It is tough to gauge what price to expect in this supply climate, so I won't venture a guess.

• Administrators

This is kind of a Coke vs Pepsi / Ford vs Chevy sort of question. Full disclosure I do business with MasterCraft. I am biased but I do 100% believe what is written below.

The 2021 ProStar is clearly not a stripped-down economy boat but you will have to look hard to find unnecessary design concepts. It is pure ski boat. It is simply a very well thought out ski boat. The designers of this version, as well as the previous versions, are skiers. I would challenge anyone to show me a boat with better slalom wakes or skier feel at all speeds and rope lengths.

The “Ski Nautique” is the most controversial boat in modern ski history. You will find skiers who will tell you that it is the most technically advanced boat of all time. Those who love this boat LOVE this boat. It is the boat of choice for international events. It clearly has the best trick wakes of all time. The slalom wakes receive mixed reviews at different speeds and rope lengths. It is also the most complicated boat of all time. It drives differently from all other boats and the feel from the skier’s perspective is also different from any other boat.

As a skier, I personally dread tournament rides behind the Nautique because the pull (power delivery) is unlike every other boat. When I have been able to get a number of practice rides in a row behind it I have adapted. If I owned one I am sure I would ski fine behind it. Given a choice, I would always choose a Nautique 200 over the newer Ski Nautique.

The shortline pull behind the ProStar feels more familiar to any other ZO boat. It is a refined version of the pull you would feel behind anything from an older Nautiques or any Malibu.

Price? 2021 ProStars are sold out. I do not think there are deals on ANY new ski boats from all 3 brands for the foreseeable future.

• Members

Interesting dichotomy to hear in November 2020 MC is already sold out of 2021s and Nautique is very close to sold out, yet we have another thread that says the boat companies don’t sell enough of these boats to keep promo teams viable.

Back on topic, if I were buying a new boat this year, it would be a MasterCraft. And this is coming from someone who is so satisfied with his 2016 200 that I wouldn’t trade it for any of the new boats.

• Baller

Had a 2019 200, ZERO issues, ZERO QC issues, 300hrs+, skied great, drove great, nothin but compliments from skiers and drivers over 2 years with over a half dozen tournaments pulled with it, many PB's set behind it.

Ordered a 2021 and it's being built as we speak

I have owned both MC and SN and have skied behind both the new Prostar and the 200. With the new Prostar this year I was very motivated to buy the Prostar, and actually had a build slot reserved. Then I skied them back to back and ended up ordering a 2021 SN 200 instead. For me, I like the pull and the wakes slightly better. I find that it tracks better and turns tightly more effectively, and I also didn't like the sight lines in the PS. The build is solid and it's just a great boat.

This is an issue primarily of preference. There are lots of skiers who will say that the PS has a better pull and wakes, and then there are others that will say the SN. Frankly, you will get a great pull and great skiability no matter which way you go. The ergonomics of the PS and the convertable top are well thought out and it is also a great boat.

In terms of pricing, I found that with a good dealer you can get about the same price on either boat. Availability is an issue on both, so if you're going to order do it now.

I am extremely happy that I've ordered the 2021 SN 200. I am sure you will be happy with either. My suggestion is that you drive and ski behind both and make a decision based upon how it feels to you. There is not a technical correct answer as they are both great boats, it's just about preference, and you can't make that preference decision until you're behind the wheel of both. Good luck and happy skiing:)

• Baller_

If you gave me the option on those two, hands down the MC . That new 200 ain't the old 200 .

Or go find a 2018 or older 200!

I think Mastercraft is on to something. Limited gimmicks and far friendlier wake characteristics across the board then the new 200. Also I think the ZO on the MC is better matched to the boat then that of the new 200.

But in the words of Sargent Schultz!!

• Baller

@Sebgo. I know you only asked for opinions on 2021 MC and Nautique 200. But, you should also consider a new Malibu Txi.

I got to drive and ski a 2021 Response Txi recently. It drove as good as any ski boat I have ever driven. Tracking was easy well into super shortline passes, and the power out of the hole was incredible.

I skied a set at 34 mph, and a 2nd set at 32 mph. Both felt great. Super soft and small wakes. I have never skied anything any better.

Quiet, solid, smooth, and fun to drive.

Great looking inside and out. Excellent ergonomics and features.

I made the decision and went with the MC prostar. I got a june build when ordered in early September. I probably overpaid by 5-10 K but to answer your question I got 21.75% off the list. This deal is nowhere near as good as the advertised 75K with a stereo on the trailer. I also had to forego the lighter and more powerful and efficient Di motor as they wanted 10k more as opposed to Malibu that upcharges 6k or ilmore themselves who charge about 1k more. I got the best deal on a response and the worst deal on the nautique 200 which is in need of a refresh. Production slots are extremely limited for all ski boats but this is the first year that this problem exists.

• Administrators

I read @drfred's post last night and thought something was very wrong with that engine pricing. A few emails to Fred and to MasterCraft later it was clear that he got a price from a fake engine website from Indonesia. The site fooled me too. My contact at MasterCraft told me it was not new and they knew of engine shoppers that had been defrauded in the past.

Funny, the super crappy web design actually made the site look more real to me. Here is the link but all the info is fake and DO NOT send them your money. https://inboardenginesale.com/ilmor-marine

Yes, @horton is right about the crate engine pricing and that website does appear real and since it was only used for a piece of information I had no reason to check it. Mastercraft has an exclusive marine engine agreement with Ilmore and Mastercraft sets the price.

More information on the actual cost difference in price of the 6.0 vs 6.2 might be obtained by evaluating differences in dressed crate motor pricing of similar GM engines, but thats for a different thread.