An Update - Jim Ross, Husband, Father, Brother, Friend

RazorRoss3

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
My dad had bladder cancer and lived 13 months after surgery.We buried him on his 76th birthday and that was close to 25yrs ago.I still have great memories of my dad and think about him all of the time.@RazorRoss3 and @6balls you will also have many great memories that will be with you all of the time.Remember that Jim Ross was a special person to many people and he left this earth a better place for those people he loved so much.He will be always a part of your life and in many ways he made you what you are today.So enjoy the memories and special moments and strive to be a special person like him and carry on his love and tradition.Remember he touched the lives of many and you can carry that on.....GOD BLESS YOU

• Baller

I am realizing that I neglected to include the Humor to Fight the Tumor charity in my original post. This charity funds brain cancer research through its annual donations and gala events. In 2018, Jim Ross was among the four honorees who are always brain cancer patients. My Mom requested in her communications on the Facebook Page created for my Dad that contributions to this charity would be appreciated.

www.humortofightthetumor.org

• Baller

God damn. So sorry for you and your family @RazorRoss3. I didn't know your dad except through BOS and I miss him. Strong as hell and by strong, I don't mean the obvious that he was - I mean strong in spirit. Actually, that was pretty obvious, too. Wish I could give you a hug.

Jim

• Baller

Hey just a quick thanks...the ski community has been great at this time in support of our family. It was similar at the time my Dad passed.

Both those who are BOS regulars, and those who have called/texted who are not but who we know from tourneys or coaching events.

I have 9 siblings, many are not skiers but have read this thread...and they appreciate all of the support as well--they love hearing about the impact of the life of their brother Jim in any and all ways...skiing was one of the very many important parts of his life...and it's one of the cool windows to his soul.

It's only 8 a.m. here, but I suddenly have a craving for ribs...

• Baller
To Mitch, Dave, Susan, and the entire Ross family. Please accept my condolences. Jim was an amazing man and touched so many people, both on the water and off. He was always interested in people and led his life by example. May he Rest In Peace and his memory live on. PC

• Baller
I don't know Jim or family, but would like to offer my prayers to him and family. As Chet said in his pod cast, it's all about the skiing family, and I feel a loss every time we loose a member of the skiing community. God Bless all of those we've lost.

• Baller

Thanks for the shout out to Humor to Fight the Tumor RazorRoss3. The only way for us help brain tumor suffers and their families is to fund research. If anyone is interested in contributing to the cause take a look at www.humortofighthtetumor.org.

Jim was a longtime friend taken much too early. He may be gone but will never be forgotten. Till we meet again buddy.

Here’s one of my favorite stories with my brothers Jim #Razorskier1 and Dave #6balls that speaks to the dedication that made them the skiers they are:

Dave was about 9 years old... me and Jim about 17 & 18.

We skied on a dirty, germ-infested dammed-up little river called Lake Delhi in eastern Iowa.

At 9-years-old Dave was showing a lot of promise on a slalom ski in the open-water.

At one point Dave took a helluva fall. Jim & I whip the boat around and hustle back.

Dave is clearly in a lot of pain. He says it’s his right foot... his front foot.

Jim and I hovering over Dave from the boat, Jim says “And what do we say about pain?”

Through the tears of his 9-yr-old eyes Dave replies the answer we expected... the answer we had beaten into each other for years... Dave says: “Love pain.”

He’s clearly hurt, but he ain’t gettin outta this easy. After watching Dave writhe in pain for a few minutes, Jim concedes and says... “We’ll, do ya wanna get in the boat?”

Dave winces through the tears and says, in an angry warrior’s voice: “Give me that f%#*@&n ski.

Dave jams his foot painfully back into the boot and we get back to business.

We pull him outta the hole, and he rides the ski for about 200 yards, then throws the rope.

We know it must hurt pretty bad.

We circle around and pull him into the boat.

Dave sits on the back seat of the boat and turns his foot over his knee so we can see the bottom of his foot.

He has a gash in his foot about 3 inches long!

Jim and I never questioned or disrespected Dave’s pain again!

And that’s the attitude that creates a champion.

We’ll never forget the good old days on Lake Delhi, and pushing each other to ski to our limits with “the eye of the tiger.”

In our world, there was no such thing as “letting go of the rope.” If you didn’t come flying outta your ski, you didn’t get to get in the boat.

Eye of the tiger, baby!

Thanks #Razorskier1 and #6balls for that... and for millions of other great memories!

Love... #Sasquatch / Joe

• Baller

@Sasquatch why did it take me to age 9? You screwballs wouldn't let me even attempt slalom til I could clear the entire wake on wooden cypress garden jumpers in both directions!

For more musical tributes to @Razorskier1. He loved "the blues" and particularly Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was lucky enough to see SRV 3 times live with Jim! Throw on some Stevie Ray with any drink you raise to Jim next time...and maybe smoke your rear tires into oblivion if you have the right vehicle and the opportunity--he liked that, too!

• Baller

From Jim's wife Susan on facebook:

Hi Team Jim Ross?

Life keeps going even though I want it to just STOP and grieve with me for a minute. Or forever. Has it really been two weeks already? I thought dying and not dying was confusing, but reconciling actual loss FOREVER is a whole ‘nother country...

Mitch and I went to the gym together for the first time last weekend, and because Covid has kept folks apart for so long, we had friends there who felt like they’d just seen Jim a couple of months ago - when the last time Jim and I were actually in the gym together was in December, 2019...

THIS weekend Mitch, Sean, and I went to the gym and worked out together, and it felt GOOD to be doing something that Jim really enjoyed - the gym family affair! It was FUN to bench press again and remember and FEEL how it was to have him standing behind me, always ready, always spotting...

❤️

I have been very grateful in all of this time that I didn’t lose Jim in an accident and have to endure THAT immediate kind of loss. Our death sentence was carried out slowly over 4 precious years, time that we were allowed to navigate with team effort, hope, and some attitude, right?

To my joy, from every corner of Jim’s operations; waterskiing, weightlifting, family, community and neighborhood liaisons, and over 30 years of work relationships - both prior to, and since his death - I have been gifted over and over and over with humbling praise of my husband’s humanity from his colleagues, friends, and myriad sports mates - thank you! OMG! Seriously, thank you!!! That he was so valued in the world helps ease the pain of losing him, it really does!

I fell in love with Jim Ross partly because he fell in love with me - and also because he was smart, romantic, I admired his integrity, he had a work ethic that I deeply respected, he loved to have fun and seek adventure, he was low maintenance, (5 stars for low maintenance!) and okay, he was so damned handsome and sexy! Yes, I was all in, but I never really understood the full range of Jim’s coalition of people in all of this time, (eventually, as a stay home mom, kinda isolated, kinda busy...) so a huge THANK YOU to all of you who noticed and recognized him as a good man!

❤️ He really, really was, a very, very good man!

And many, many other thanks to all of you, our friends, SO MUCH, for your snow plowing and driveway shoveling, your street greetings, your cookies and bars, your amazing meal contributions, (I love yummy food!!!) and your heartfelt condolence cards - again, your CARING for me and my family makes my heart smile!

Team Ross really does have the best friends in the world! And our friends are really, really good, wonderful people!!! The BEST!!!

I love you!

Susan

• Baller

I’m a little late posting but below is the obituary that my Mom, Susan Ross, wrote from my Dad. Thank you to the ballers for all of their support. As you can imagine, she wanted to say kick ass but the newspaper told her she couldn’t ;)

kmaibfw9r4aa.jpeg

• Baller
Man I love these posts and I really admire him for his courage. Wish I could have met him. “Love Pain” that’s perfect for me it’s been a long battle with cancer as well and when you’re just clinging on it’s good that I can gleen some words of wisdom that help keep me pushing on.

• Baller

spo35aa7ei18.jpeg

Here are a couple of vintage EP skis for ya...we used em as step off skis at the Footstock National figure 8 barefoot tournament! Still had the GX3 as a guest ski til last year.

Jim was a better endurance footer than me...imagine that!

• Baller
Nice suits! Footstock is held about 3 miles as the crow flies from my home lake back in WI. In fact, it was held on my lake (Lucerne) a time or two IIRC. Did either of you ever compete in the Frostbite Figure 8 we used to host up at UW-Stout? I was MC of that event for a few years but don't think you guys were there those times. I'm sure we know lots of the same names.

• Baller

@The_MS clowns in clown suits for sure!

@UWskier we never did the frostbite. We found out about footstock cuz we vacationed in Crandon on Metonga for about 25 years straight back in the day--we took up pretty much all of the cabins at the Glen Park Resort and a few chalet units--big family.

I also rented a place on Lucerne a few years when we skied footstock, and a few times after just for fun. Log place way on the one end if I remember--kind of a little lagooney area in front of it.

My best year in the double elim I lost to Peter Fleck (who won) and Jimmy Aberlee who finished 3rd--I was alive in the final 20 or so skiers. That tourney was fun the years we went...lots of good memories.