RazorRoss3

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim’s wife Susan just posted this on Facebook, but I thought you’d all enjoy:

Post from Susan an hour ago today.

Hi again Team Jim Ross, especially water skiers - I can’t help myself here, this post has less to do with brain cancer or dying, and everything to do with just plain fun - I want to laugh a little more cuz I still can!

Being Jim’s boat driver was the best thing ever: On Lake Minnewashta, the slalom course runs east-ish/west-ish. The wind comes all the way across the big bay from the southwest almost every day, and the sun is always shining blindingly down the middle of the boat path - SO much fun for skier and driver alike... wind chop almost every morning.

And every white cap morning I would say to Jim, “You’ve skied in worse”, and he’d put on his gloves, lube up his ski, go to the back of the boat and say, “You’ve driven in worse”, and he’d jump in the lake! When the fishing boats came through the channel, across the end of the course, well, that lovely roller just added to the excitement, right?!! So have a giggle at:

1) Crazy driver first passes of the 2017, brain cancer season: Jim at 32 off taken with my phone camera in the wide lens mirror, (come on, give it up for his prowess with a distracted driver, AND the amazingly reasonable boat path of a multi-tasking driver! ?) and then,

2) Jim being awesome in New Germany at 35 off during an 8 pass set, exclusively at 35 off - with brain cancer!

I close my eyes and I can feel him behind the boat, know his pulls, his buoys, his hook-ups. Over and over and over and over. Happiest driver in the world!

Thanks to all, for indulging me while I abuse the purpose of the Team Jim group!

• Baller
Life many times gives us difficult times however we seem to find beautiful and happy moments that give us special memories of fun that last a lifetime.Susan your boat driving story is very well written and touches all of our hearts.GOD BLESS YOU......

• Baller

If u can drive Jim...u can drive. When I was there Susan would let me pull him...thanks Susan! Jim always said he was so lucky to have the best driver ever in Susan...and one willing to be up at the crack of Dawn to pull his marathon sets.

That dude wud ski in anything. Sleet, snow, cold. He talked me into barefooting once after ice out in 25 degrees and snow falling...put his boat in right down the sand beach—who needs a boat launch!

We footed together once in whitecaps...both of us at 15 off to snuggle into the curl and get a break from the boat. Both determined, we went far staring each other down here and there...and yeah...I fell first. Same old story, different day Jim wins. Best ski buddy ever.

• Baller

Hi Ballers,

Thank you to all of you for your love and support over the last 4 years and the last 4 months in particular. This morning, peacefully in his sleep, my Dad passed away ending his battle with cancer in defiant victory. The diagnosis was bleak, he fought like hell in spite of it. It stole things from him piece by piece, he held on all the tighter to what was left. In the end, he decided it was time to leave. He quit eating, and then stayed with us for over 5 weeks without food... because why not. He lived on his own terms, he fought on his own terms, and he went out on his own terms.

Raise a glass to Jim Ross tonight, and the next time you hit the water, raise your ski in solute.

pccopnov75uo.jpeg

wo5ajbl59odk.jpeg

m8isdux0u0m0.jpeg

• Baller_

aioycupix2tf.jpeg

To Jim.

In these circumstances it’s often said: “May the wind be at your back.” But for a skier it may be better wished that you have a slight headwind on your hardest pass. We’ll miss you, Jim, here on BOS and on the water. Godspeed.

Lpskier

• Administrators

@6balls shared this video with me. I believe it was Jim's last ski ride.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL0Z8Dehutc/?igshid=68dl63hij0ib

• Baller

I'm sorry to hear this. To his family, my deepest condolences. I didn't know Jim, but through the legendary stories of his strength and stamina and the testimony of his family and friends about what a man of character he was, well, he certainly was a man I knew of.

Take care of yourselves @6balls, @RazorRoss3 and @SlalomSteve and rest in peace @Razorskier1.

• Baller

Yeah, that’s a 2015 ride, video credit to our neighbor Kevin Thayer. His last ride was somewhere at the end of 2017, he skied the entire season post diagnosis and post op.

I visited from Texas over nationals weekend (I skied like crap in ‘17 so nationals wasn’t happening) and we went out to New Germany. I ran my only 35 off of the season and if memory serves he ran a 38. Driving credit that day to the best in the business, Susan Ross

• Baller

@RazorRoss3 I remember a triple PB in Waterloo Iowa for u, me, and Jim the same day.

I also remember skiwatch when u were setting new pb’s round by round and sitting there cheering you on with Jim. He could not have been more proud.

• Baller

This is so sad and brings tears as I sit here and read this. My thoughts go to Jim's family and friends and the hole in your hearts from his loss. Just like my lake partner, high school river rat, old hunting bud, and another just all around good guy lost too soon to cancer about a year ago. In some other life if we would have met as kids I bet we would have had a blast together.

I HATE CANCER.

• Baller

@RazorRoss3 cool pic! I remember when Jim first tried the buoys and thought it was stupid. How long did that last?

I do have vids of Jim ripping 38 off, wish I had the 39--he smoked it. Will have to see if I can pull up some 38 tourney vids.

• Baller

@The_MS its still calm out there go get some! Jim would!

Love that lake. Lots of memories there from the official tourney to our unofficial 36 mph tourneys the day to follow. My PB is there, and a few stones I received at a friends funeral in memorial are on the bottom there near 6 ball close to TJ’s dock.

I never would have skied there had Jim not gone. He had a hotel but TJ put him up, I went the next year and the rest is history.

Sure had fun. I always wanted u and Jim to smoke as many 38’s as possible and get your 39 shots cuz I knew you could run it. Favorite tourney of the year. Say hi to all at skiwatch, and let them know Jim will always be there.

If u think u can’t run one more, run 5 he’s watching.