First ride on Denali

JAS

• Administrators
@JAS do you know what settings are on the ski you're going to try? it makes all the difference that they are exactly right. I very much prefer the original generation s-wing settings.

• Baller

@JAS ... You can expect the easiest, high performance ski you have ever ridden.. You could put the fin on backwards and still exceed your expectations....The ski simply does what you tell it to do with no bad side effects... Fin settings are simply Good, Better, and Best !!!

• Administrators
@Ed_Johnson that is ridiculous hyperbole. It is a fantastic ski but without the reasonably good fin settings there's no ski on planet Earth that is very good.

• Baller
I went from the 2020 Vapor to the C75 too. It definitely was no “out of the box” winner for me, like the Vapor had been. Fin settings mattered, a lot. It took me several sets and a bunch of settings to get in sync with it. Easily more consistent than any other ski I’ve ever ridden. I keep questioning why I’m even playing with a different ski right now. To answer your question, from the very start it’s different: the gate pullout felt like I was outrunning the boat without meaning to, the turns (oh the turns) offside it slows and really takes no effort to keep the nose down and rip as hard as you like, onside is just as smooth. I’ve found much less slack throughout my skiing. As I said earlier, I’m more consistent. PB? Speed control was messed up that day so I don’t count it, but it was on that Denali

• Baller

@JAS I’ll briefly share my experience and my son’s experience and that might help you pick a starting point, or maybe just solidify that you may need more than one set. I was on a Vapor running long/shallow settings @34, I tried middle of the recommended range and ended up very close my Vapor’s long/shallow settings. My son was also long /shallow on a Vapor, but he was outrunning the boat at the 36 and ended up short/deep, this was as he was transitioning to 36. Both of us made adjustments along the way.

The crazy fun part was running passes that I should have had no business running on settings that did not work well for me, so to answer your original question, expect some of that. Try some long/shallow, short/deep, and everything in between.

@BS74 my wife borrowed my son’s Denali for a ride at 26.7-32 mph and it ran fine, but better at 28 mph and up. She looked good on it. Same with the young son, he looked crazy good. I wouldn’t hesitate to try it at the slower speeds.

• Baller

The clouds will part and the sun will shine as bright and beautiful as you have ever seen. The water will become dead calm. You will barely hear the boat, but you will hear music coming from the heavens as the buoys look narrower and the boat feels slower than ever before. You may catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror calm water and see that you look younger than you remember, and your technique looks perfect. The shores will be lined with all the people you admire and you will perform flawlessly while they cheer you on.

At least that’s what happens whenever I ride one.

• Baller_
as I rode mine on Friday afternoon, for only the second set of the season, it wasn't nearly the struggle to get back "in-sync" like in previous years where I haven't skied from November through March. The new Denali ran up the line through -32 as if it new exaclty what it was doing. I hope I can keep up with it this season.

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson : All six at -35. I didn't think it would end this way.

@AdamCord : End? No, the journey doesn't end here. -35 is just a step along the way, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it.

@Ed_Johnson : What? Adam? See what?

@AdamCord : White shores, -38 and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

@Ed_Johnson : Well, that isn't so bad.

@AdamCord : No. No, it isn't.” :)

• Administrators

@JAS I very much prefer something close to the original s-wing settings. The only caveat with these settings is you must get super wide on your gate and I don't know if they would work at 28 off and longer. I know they kind of suck at 22.