IWWF World Championships

Horton

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@Horton I,ll take the Panda,s all day long, one of my dislikes is people who do not respect their equipment, at the speed and line lengths skiers are on, it is not a good idea to start throwing your ski around, same as not checking that your bindings are secure before skiing.

I am surprised at your response, Hey Ho !

• Baller
I'm surprised @BS74 got as many dislikes and disagrees as he did....and even a WTF. There have been several conversations regarding whether entrance gates should be required. If that can be debated, certainly exit gates can. I agree, If you can get back to the boat guides (anything right of the left gate ball) after 6 in skiing position, whats the harm?

• Administrators
@ScottScott this is the most prestigious tournament in the sport. The rule says you must ski between the balls. There is no gray area.

• Baller
@Horton I'm certainly not arguing against the ruling in this case (and neither was BS74,) or any other similar events under the current rules. But as has been talked in the past regarding entrance gates (and likely exit gates would have gone hand and hand with that,) maybe there is some room for conversation regarding the rules for the exit gates. Maybe it doesn't happen enough to warrant the effort. But this one situation makes it worth thinking about. SHOULD that be the rule?

• Baller

I wasn't suggesting to look the other way for Charlie and let him continue, I'm suggesting it's a rule that should be looked at. We already have a rule for class C where you can miss the gate on the first pass. (In a Class C or below tournament a skier who misses their entry gate on their first pass, but goes on to complete the remainder of the pass, may continue to the next pass or accept a score of zero. If the skier completes the next

sequential pass (or opt-up pass), then he shall receive credit for both passes

and be allowed to continue. However, if the second pass is not fully complete,

then the score shall be zero.) There may come a day where this rule makes it to ELR tournaments. Also, there is a rule for slack at end gates and scoring. My feeling is as long as you exit in skiing position to the right of the left gate, what difference does it make?

• Baller
@ScottScott imagine how much things would change if you could turn #6 exactly the same as you turn #4. In other words, go around #6 just like every other buoy by making a full turn as if you were going to buoy #7. I personally think that would fundamentally change slalom.

• Baller

@klindy Would It really change things that much? I don't see "a lot" of 6 but no continuation. Or even 5 1/2. Maybe making a full turn at 6 would reduce some of those? Is that a bad thing?

It would certainly help me when I turn 4 ball and try to remember whether I'm at 4 or 6....

• Baller

@ScottScott i disagree. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or a good idea but, especially as 11.25 and shorter, managing the rope at #6 is a pretty fundamental slalom skill. If you were able to make a “normal” turn and disregard the ‘inside’ exit gate ball, it would definitely change how EVERYONE skis.

Again I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, just saying it would change things.

• Baller

I've been to loads of comps in the past and some recent. Tell me about a comp when someone hasn't either stomped off and sulked, ignored their family, chucked their ski, or thrown their silver medal on the ground when awarded it at some point all in the moment. All and different ages and abilities.

Btw the exit gates are fine, don't change this. I would have thought being a tad late at 11.25 the other gate buoy would normally be the problem

• Baller

@ALPJr no it's not a code violation. How many hockey sticks are broken each game? And Those are 3bills a piece. Really doubt Charlie's ski is damaged in any way...

Golf clubs

Hockey sticks

Hockey bench doors resulting in broken glass... You might get a delay of game penalty

Baseball helmets

Baseball bats over the knee

Football helmets

Water bottles

Tennis ?

None are DQable unless you throw it at someone or it hits someone.

• Baller
Know I have been around skiing for a long time but when I started, there were entrance gates you had to make and exit gates you had to make. They were part of the ski course....and I am still fine with those rules. What is next? Miss a turn ball on your opener and you get to keep going? Skiing is meant to be a challenge and performance is based on conformance to the rules. Changing the rules to make it easier is not sport. Do they shorten golf courses to make it easier to score? As the Pro golfers get better, they make the greens and the courses harder. Some are suggesting making it easier by not counting gates? Heck, let's quit reporting times and verifying boat paths. Let's all feel good about ourselves and forget the rules.

• Baller

The emotion is what we want to see - I'd like to see a little more of it. I mean throwing equipment isn't great but that "throw" was pretty contained. Charlie's reaction was understandable for that level - he didn't throw it again or carry on. Different if it was my 10yr old - he can be upset but also needs to learn to move on and make sure its fun at his age.

• Administrators
@Wish I'd have to see the original high-res. It's very plausible that the edge of the ski is running right over the center of the ball and going to displace it. If the correct score is two then he missed three by a couple inches

• Baller

In the words of Tony Lightfoot “O my word”!

Has there ever been an event where 41 was run by 2 different skiers? Unbelievable skiing. Kyle Eade on the mic is awesome as well. Must say I’m happy for Jon, too. Men’s final has perfect mix of legends and newer names.

• Baller

I had the broadcast playing on my laptop in my office all day. Needless to say very little work got done.

Tony Lightfoot and the Waterski Broadcast group did such a good job. Tony's endurance is commendable.

I think we might have witnessed the most awesome display of slalom skiing ever. Truly, it was riveting to watch. Great job to the Travers, the officials, WBC and the skiers. Amazing!

• Baller

Dane Mechler figured out the trick to running 41, start at 39, so you’re fresher! Really happy for Dane! Such a fine young man. (Who also has a “ real job”.)

I hope Whitney will be able to trick tomorrow, as well as slalom in the finals Saturday. That was a wicked fall!

• Baller

Unbelievably great skiing today - Dane in the runoff was crazy good. So awesome to watch.

TWBC crew did an incredible job. Stellar work from Tony Lightfoot and the commentary by others was awesome. Love the insight by @FWinter. It’s going to be a great finals for sure.

• Baller
I was at the tournament and I talked to a good friend of Whitney who told me that she was taken to the hospital for evaluation. She apparently had broken blood vessels in one of her eyes. She was disoriented in the water as she could not find the surface so it's possible she got a concussion. This is second hand information and I'm sure more will be known tomorrow.