What did you learn in 2021?

Horton

• Administrators
There is nothing worse than learning new stuff all ski season and then forgetting it all in the winter. So with that in mind what did you learn in 2021?

• Baller_
I learned that my turn in for my gate needed to slow down a little to avoid generating immediate load with bad direction and suboptimal body position. That error also results in being pulled up early and shoulders forward just before the wake rather than a natural pull-up into edge change at or beyond the wake. All of that is making me narrow at one ball and in bad position to turn it well.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@miskier not a this year learning for me but I also found that important with first getting stupid high on the boat at pull out such that my slower turn in still established good position and angle with time/width to make good speed to the CL.

Other than that I learned a lot about how many members feel about a variety of issues, and that my spine is cooked--both cervical and lumbar following surgery number 4. May have a bubble butt for sale come spring.

I've also experience that stuff I wrote in the fall hoping for an earlier hot run in the spring--didn't always help. I think b/c in spring I just didn't have the basics, the muscle memory, the conditioning to implement those things right away--those things tended to be more helpful after working out the spring-time kinks.

• Baller
@TEL - best time to make big changes (like grip) is the start of the new season. Also to prepare, grab the top or bottom of your steering wheel using the new grip when driving in a low risk context. Most people spend more minutes behind the wheel than on the water, so use that time to make the new grip feel more normal.

• Baller_

Octane matters, ballers love web seminars, nobody on this site is passionate about where the sport is headed and mostly

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the ballers, only 3+/- more months to complain about all things waterskiing before the next season:-)

• Baller

I neither learned that this was a problem, nor did I learn how to fix this problem in 2021, but I did continue to work on it. Working on straightening out the yellow line. In 2021 it got better but I got a ways to go. Suggestions welcome. (no need to remind me "hips to handle"... I'm trying/working on it) z5mo64xiswas.jpg

• Baller_

I learned you can't even begin to refresh your old skills for skiing in a slalom course without a slalom course. And, there is no similarity between taking a winter off compared to taking decades off with no skiing. If you are healthy, agile, have an efficient weight and are strong, the time gap is a much bigger factor than being older.

After a long layoff, you can free ski forever and never figure out if the ski you are using is any good because its impossible to ski to the ski's limits or to rebuilt the muscle memory for skiing to your own limits without the performance demands of a slalom course.

Taking winter off only degrades your physical strength. Taking decades off also erases most of your muscle memory even if you have a sharp recall of your physical action and the visual experience of skiing your previous personal bests.

So last year I ended up with a slalom course that was stuck 5 feet below and only skied three sets in a course at a friends lake. This summer I am prepared with an OFFcourse and a Realcourse. I wasted 1 full year at an age where my new dog will outlast my short line potential in competitive skiing. Looking forward to a much better year.