U21 World Championship

• Baller
1 minute ago, ral said:

Congrats to Team Chile for the 2nd place, showing that, with hard sustained work, a small and remote country can compete against the best.  

Mostly because of the Miranda's ski school you think ?

• Like 1

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

For sure the Miranda family have been and are a cornerstone of it. But it is also the combined effort of several families and actors.

When I see comments on our sport dying and that someone should do something (especially that rules for tournaments should change…) I always think about what we have achieved in Chile, by doing rather than waiting for something to be done by someone else.

Doing in our sport is teaching kids (and adults), helping and judging in tournaments, building lakes. Anyone can do at least some of that, and if many do, the results will show. 

• Like 4

• Baller

Team USA hasn't won team gold at the Elite Worlds in a while and here, the U21 Team brought home gold to the U.S.  Is that common or an indication of some great young talent in the US?

Other observations:

Charlie Ross is pretty phenomenal 

AnneMarie W's 38-off was crazy good to watch.

Will Robert's crash on the last jump of the tournament was nuts.

Kennedy Hanson is a great talent. 

There is a lot of young talent in the sport.  Hope they stick around the sport!

• Like 2

• Baller

Watch slalom at any International junior or under 21 event. The number of D3 skis versus the other brands is overwhelming. A fair number of South American and European skiers are on Goodes. Those are the dominant two. 

I’m not saying this to promote any brand(s), just a simple observation!

• Baller

Yes D3.

Full disclosure, I'm a D3 dealer Down Under.

I know some of these guys are sponsored, but I'd imagine most, if not all of them would not be contracted to receive payments, only a few Pro Skiers across all brands would get a salary from manufacturers. These sponsored, future Pros, would perhaps only be on equipment contracts.

Do you think skiers at this level would be on a ski they didn't like just because they got gear?

• Baller

@aussiemc The way it should work is like Archery with contingency money https://eastonarchery.com/contingency/.  The brands put up money but it is on the competitors to use their product, go to events, register properly, and submit for payment.  Means that as an amateur competitor you go to the event go to the brand's booth and register, you do the event wearing that brand's stuff using their gear and then you podium and afterwards submit for payment.

Archery obviously has more money globally its extremely popular but also with hunters etc. There is just a much larger market.

But what it does well is it gives the amateur the ability to know if they could money on a given weekend.

• Baller
7 hours ago, BraceMaker said:

What other brand than D3 currently sells skis for all 3 events?

Several make a trick ski - Radar, Goode, KD. 

Connelly has a jumper but I dont think that necessarily counts for this discussion.

I’m not sure Connelly still builds jumpers. They haven’t appeared on their website for quite a while.  So, I believe just D3 (“ dedicated to three event”). 

• Baller
1 hour ago, kc said:

I’m not sure Connelly still builds jumpers. They haven’t appeared on their website for quite a while.  So, I believe just D3 (“ dedicated to three event”). 

Ya I think connelly will still special order the HC300 but that's more of a show ski flip ski type scenario than a distance jumper game.  Maybe they stopped.

But I would think this would push towards a prominence of D3 amongst the three event crowds.  If you're training at a school that has a bunch of jumpers either there are a group of people buying D3 stuff for years and years and years and you have the ability to demo and use the equipment or not.

Where as in the adult "slalom only" crowd I see a ton of Radar, HO, and Goode and fewer D3s

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, SlalomSteve said:

What was up with the "radioactive green" water?

I skied Chapala in the 2012 35+ Worlds. Strangest water I’ve ever experienced. If I remember correctly they said it had to do with mineral content. People were slipping and falling on the starting dock. Skiers using rear toe kickers were going to Walmart for nonskid to replace their form pads. 

If you watched last week’s webcast you, you saw skiers making a conscientious effort to keep their gloves and handle out of the water when possible. Tony made the observation that Alexia Abelson’s mom was covering her feet with wax just before Alexia got into her bindings.