Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Old faithfull

Andre

• Baller

@jhughes - Cost /Benefit makes the world go round. All depends on what you need. Many do not need the cost or touted improvements to fulfill their skiing needs.  Unless you are, or are on the path to being an open level competitor there is little justification for spending the ridiculous prices of newer boats .        

• Like 3

• Baller

Hour meter on one of my 2010 200's just turned 3400 hours.  Current engine has about 1100 hours.   Not really sure how many hours are on the hull.  It may have had a previous engine swap before I purchased it.

• Like 2

• Baller

That is awesome.  A testament to the quality of these boats.  I would ski and drive that boat any day.  All the creature comforts and performance I paid for on my 2016 didn't increase the fun factor of my skiing. 

• Like 3

• Baller

You forgot to mention oil and keeping your eye on the engine temp. Those are the two killers of longevity in a ski boat. Must have a lot of good memories in that boat. Tough to get over the emotional attachment to some. If it fits your needs , keep her. 

• Like 2

• Baller

2000 hours comes out to be about 66 hours per year.  I ski 2-3  times a week and our season is slightly less than 6 months.  I don't average that many hours a year and hardly consider my boat a "garage queen".  Private lake doesn't rack up a lot of hours.

• Baller
4 hours ago, skimtb said:

@Andre  how was the 200?   

According to seller,dealer couldn't get the boat out of storage until tomorrow.

Contacted the seller for the first time on june 28th...

Seller is legit ( i skied his own private  lake before a nasty divorce) so i'll give him another chance.

Edited by Andre

• Baller

2300 hours on my '94 Ski Nautique. In the garage from November until some time in April depending on the weather in western Pennsylvania. The marinas always told me 50 hours a season is average.  Usually 75-100 per season for me. Fewer skiers out my way. 

• Like 3

• Baller

A new boat is out of my reach. I think of the modern boats the Pro Star is the best value for the money. The only thing the new boats have that I would want would be Zero Off. If I did buy new, I would also have to get a new lift, and a new tow vehicle.  When the time comes, I will drop in a new engine, zero off and a transmission(1.23:1).  Are there any engine and transmssion combinations that would fit under the stock engine box without the need for a shim under the engine cover? I have the carbureted 351w and 1:1 transmission. 

• Baller

When I can out ski the boat I'll buy a new one till I am spending time and money on lessons and skiing. Not knocking any one who wants shinny things I like em too and I have my share.

Spare engine for my 1997 prostar 190 ready and waiting.

IMG_0709.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heterodox 1

• Baller
On 7/31/2023 at 9:02 AM, Andre said:

My 94 Prostar turned 2000 hrs this morning. One rebuilt starter,couples of sensors for the EFI system and...gas is all it needed to reach that milestone.

I suspect not many ski boats  (5% ?)  reach that number,mostly because peoples don't use it as much and the boats sits unused.

Funny part is i'm lake testing a 2012 200 with 2400 hrs tomorrow. Will be hard to part with such  reliable Prostar and its nice wake...

image.jpeg

• Baller

Andre that is awesome, when I retired I got back into skiing and looked for about a year for a 205 prostar, found a 500 hour one from a 78 guy who was the only owner, could not ski anymore.

I get compliments on it every time we take someone out and have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it. Hope I get the same results out to 2000 hours!

• Like 2