Stick a fork in me

LoopSki

• Baller

Took over a year off and first set yesterday, shoulder dislocated again. Pretty sure Surgery or never ski again are my options.  Surgery wasn’t covered by insurance last time. Not sure what the outcome will be this time around. Anyone want to buy a 2017 MC and home on a private lake. FML. 

• Baller

Get with a quality PT and get a good strengthening program going.  Most of the time, joint instability like that can be fixed by training the muscles around it.  The exercises will suck, but it's worth it to get back on the water.  I've dealt with a lot of shoulder issues in the past but I've been pain free for two years now after working with a good PT.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

@LoopSki Don't sell the house yet. I was right there with my second ankle break--so nasty it took me 10 days to find an Ortho that would even attempt to work on it. I truly thought I might not ski ever again. Several years later I'm back at it. I finish where I used to start, but I continue to  enjoy this sport  with my family and friends 🤙

• Like 4

• Baller

@LoopSki What position were you in when it dislocated? I have loose joints in general, but my shoulders are really bad. Many dislocations over the years, and both have been surgically repaired. I still can’t do some of the things that most people can. There’s no way I can do one handed turns the way it needs to be done to run through a course. I always ski under control to limit falls, and I always have two hands on the handle. It doesn’t look cool, and I’ll never be very good, but I can still ski a lot. Two hands on the handle with my lats engaged is one of the most stable positions for my shoulders. My point is you might still be able to ski a lot, just not the way you always did. 

• Baller

2 years ago I deleted my shoulder, broke it in 2 places, torn the rotator cuff, severed the bicep tendon and shredded the labrum.  Surgery and 9 months of PT before I was back skiing.  I'm not quite back to where I was but I'm 65 and things heal slowly.  I do use a power test, but I take the dowels out so that I can release quickly.  Unfortunately I just slipped in my wood shop and tore my knee and tibia so I'm out commission for a while.  PT is the most important thing!!!!

• Baller

I have dislocated my left shoulder about a 10 times in the last 15 years.  Still haven't had surgery and don't plan to.  After a period of doing a few times in a short period I started using one of these shoulder wraps when skiing.  That seemed to help.  My dislocations were always sliding out on my side.  Think blowing the tail at 1/3/5 and sliding on the left side of the body with the arm fully extended.  If I crash, my natural tendency now is to grab it with my other hand and pull it into my body.  In addition to dislocating it snow skiing, waterskiing, dirt biking.  I also did it changing the bow light bulb and putting a new steering cable in my 196...  

https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Doctor-Shoulder-Prevents-Separations/dp/B0059MN7PY/ref=asc_df_B0059MN7PY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309748512671&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8025234710581445031&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032424&hvtargid=pla-434170736551&psc=1

• Baller

@LoopSki Sorry if you answered this somewhere but you said, "Surgery wasn't covered by Insurance last time". So did you actually have the surgery and it wasn't covered? Or did you not have the surgery at all because it wasn't covered?

Either way, I dislocated my left shoulder 2 yrs ago in a tournament.  I found I could ski without any difficulty after a couple months of just PT but I only free skied, no buoys. Shoulder felt fine, thougth i was good to go but 6 months later took a minor fall out the front snow skiing and the shoulder dislocated again, shocked me how easily it popped out.

Opted for surgery last year, shoulder seems fine skiing so far but no buoys yet due to other health issues.  If you can, I would get the surgery using a really good sports medicine Doc and do the PT religiouly after. I did for 6 months and then some and right now 14 months post surgery I have full strength and ROM and no pain at all.  Surgery for me was well worth it.

Good luck with your shoulder. 

• Like 2

• Baller

After I saw this thread, I went out seeking a used Goode Powervest and wow you guys are not kidding about this, it works awesome. Found one for $300. The straps take 100% of the load out of your shoulders, so I went from not being able to ski probably for the rest of the year, to really having no worries almost. 

• Like 3

• Baller

25 years ago I suffered a partially torn rotator cuff and broken collar bone snow skiing. I water skied that season with a jump sling. I new I couldn't get up and was afraid of overextended my arm. I could still run an occasional 28 off, and at least got to keep sking.

• Baller

@keithh2oskier my right shoulder has a fully torn rotator cuff and I waited too long to have it looked at so the ortho doc told me he could not fix it at all.  I recently really screwed up my left shoulder and am having an MRI on October 11th.  It's the same shoulder that the late Dr. Cook in West Palm Beach fixed for me in the mid 1980's because I used to dislocate it all of the time, if I did it once, I did it 100 times, I'd do it in my sleep sometimes it was so loose.   Recently I was trying to show off for my grandson's doing a flip off of the side of the pool when I screwed it up this time and then that same week skiing I took what I considered just a slight hit coming off of 3 ball @35 on a pass that I ran with no problem and my arm got a "tug".  I kept skiing and took another hit and had to stop right then and there.  Does that shoulder support work well when it gets wet?  I'm seriously considering one of those AND a Goode Powervest. 

• Baller
  • Baller

I dislocated my shoulder slalom skiing July 13. MRI showed I had partial rotator cuff tear and labrum tear. I started easy slalom and trick skiing August 7th. Now running course and plan on jumping tomorrow. (I’m old so slow speeds in course and jump.) I’m taking PT twice a week.  I use a Sully shoulder brace when skiing and feel it keeps my shoulder more stable.  Definitely recommend the Sully brace—hardly notice I have it on.