Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Zero Off Tournament and Recreational Diferences

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I ask because we have a short setup, the new boat struggles to get to 36mph probably half a boat length before pre gates,  I  drive. 35-38 off skier he is struggling to get the feel he is looking for, but said it feels better in recreational mode, he skis at another lake, different water and longer setup with no issues, he was quite happy until we got the new boat, I drive him the way I  have always driven him, but just lately he showing signs of frustration, not being able to work it out.

Not sure if the boat can be remapped, remembering we run gas injected LPG in the UK 

• Baller
41 minutes ago, Stevie Boy said:

I ask because we have a short setup, the new boat struggles to get to 36mph probably half a boat length before pre gates,  I  drive. 35-38 off skier he is struggling to get the feel he is looking for, but said it feels better in recreational mode, he skis at another lake, different water and longer setup with no issues, he was quite happy until we got the new boat, I drive him the way I  have always driven him, but just lately he showing signs of frustration, not being able to work it out.

Not sure if the boat can be remapped, remembering we run gas injected LPG in the UK 

It would not hurt to remap zero off. I sometimes ski rec mode on a short set up and have not felt any difference. If it is 2 different boats that you are using  then I would understand different feel as well as the water.

• Like 1

• Baller

You would think so, but you never know for sure until you check.  I had to replace my head unit long after Rev S had come out.  It came with Rev R on it.  It was an easy upgrade when I called them about it since I had already upgraded my old head unit.  

• Baller

To be honest, I am not sure if anything is wrong, at all,  it,s just that two very good skiers are telling me that the boat seems to be gassing them in the wrong place on tournament mode but not recreational mode, which clearly does not add up if both modes react the same.

• Baller
32 minutes ago, LeonL said:

Just doesn't make sense that there is a difference.

As a software developer, I can think of a lot of reasons the Tournament and Recreation mode could be different. And I've often wondered if they are different. The problem is that the only people that could give us a definitive answer are the software developers at eControls. But it's unlikely that they will answer the question. 

The only other way I can think to definitively answer the question would be to instrument the boat with another set of the same sensors that Zero Off is using. Which would be the same GPS pucks for speed, accelerometers, RPM sensor on the engine, and Throttle Position sensor data. Then collect data for both modes and compare it programmatically. That's an amount of work that doubt anyone will be willing to do to answer the question. 

• Baller

We drive with rec mode quite a bit in the spring to take the speed up a bit. We also have a short setup on one end. We don't notice any difference between rec and tournament mode.  My guess is the boat just isn't to speed yet for the gate pullout.  We pull the skier out of the hole from an extreme angle (at 38/39) with the boat close to shoreline to get that extra 40 feet or so, giving the boat a couple more boat lengths to reach speed.

• Like 1

• Baller

There are only a small number of standard speeds in tournament mode. So it would be easy to develop the software with key tuning parameters to be pre-defined in a table for those set speeds. And we do know there is different tuning for different boat / engine combinations baked into the Zero off software. In recreation mode, the number of speeds that can be selected is more on the order of 200 speeds. So it would be much more work to handle that with pre-set values. They would have to be calculated values. Therefore they would probably use an algorithm to calculate values for those speeds even if it weren't quite as precise. 

I'm not saying that's how it works. I think there is a better than not chance that it is exactly the same. My point is there are pretty plausible reasons where it would be cheaper to develop with a different approach to recreation mode. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@mlangeWe ski all the time in rec mode because of the current on the river.  Supposedly, you select your ABC setting, then go into rec mode and it'll retain that setting until it's switched again.  No noticeable difference in pull I can tell.  The newer, integrated ZO screen on the Malibus we ski offer "training mode" instead of rec mode, and speeds are adjustable in 0.1 mph increments and ABC settings can be changed like normal.

• Baller

@mlange If there is no mapped course, you're not going to get a bump in speed as you enter the course and you're not going to get course and ball times. That will be the case whether you're in Rec or tournament mode. And in Rec mode you have to switch screens to see the ball times anyway. So I doubt anyone ever looks at them.