• Over

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

@dvskier my snow skiing addiction started at Keystone in 1984.  I was on the Teller lift in 1985 when the bull wheel at the top lift tower broke loose and the cable disconnected and slammed into the lift tower, sending a huge shock wave down the lift.  The molded chairs near the top slammed into each other with such force they shattered, littering the slope with skiers and resulting in two fatalities.  I was far from the top, thankfully.  Our chairs stayed in tact and no one came off, but it was a wild ride while it lasted and we had no idea what was happening.  We were maybe 25 ft. off the slope and it would be hours before the ski patrol could get us down.  With no foot rests for support, our skis got so heavy on our feet and legs we had to kick them off and let them drop to find relief.  Fortunately it was a gorgeous sunny day, whereas the day before was brutally cold, gray and windy, and I'm not sure how long we could have lasted had this occurred then, exposed as we were.  

• Baller

@Cnewbert That horrible event is still talked about today. Probably the most tragic accident ever at Keystone. Usually a couple of fatalities every year with people exceeding their ability levels  and hitting a tree or tower. Due to the elevation some folks just have altitude sickness and miscalculate their situational awareness. 

• Baller

42 water temp today, unseasonably warm air temp at 50. Usually I free ski 35 mph, 32' off. Worked our way up to the course at the end of the lake. Had not been through it for several years. Slowed down to 30 mph and 15' off. Yowza do I have some work to do!  😄

• Haha 1

• Baller

Skied today, last set of the year, calm sunny day, not too cold, much better than earlier this month. 65 air, 55 water, around noon. Sea water… takes longer to drop in temperature. 

Hope the weather will hold and ski some more next Thursday for few days in a row.

happy new year Guys, with lots of skiing and PBs !!!

• Baller

Sorry northerners. This Floridian sometimes has to resort to a spring suit to help stave off the chills while resting between passes. This winter in central Florida has been pretty chilly (by Florida standards). It'll be this cold in late May when I'm back in Maine for the summer. The water has been in the mid-60s. We've been waking up to air temps in the high 40's but it can warm up to the high 60s by mid-day if we're lucky. 

• Like 1

• Baller_

Well, no HT ski this weekend, we have dipped below the 50 degree limit - air 7, water under 40 - hope to get back at it next weekend. Time for indoor chores I guess.

Amazingly, we still have hummingbirds visiting our feeders - guess they tolerate the cold better than me!

• Like 1