• Over

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

I live in northern MN. and always ski into October.However this yr I had back problems in August and Sept and missed 3 1/2 wks of skiing.My last ski day was sept 21 and I had surgery on my hand on Oct 5th.I now have a cast for a month and rehab to follow.So for me not the best ski season......

• Baller

Sadly we pulled the course and boat today. Got cold quick here this year. I did get a practice PB for my last set, in a 4/3 wetsuit and 63 degree water, so ended on the highest note possible. Taking notes for next year and moving to snow skiing in a few months.

• Like 1

• Baller

Winterised the boat at the weekend as the air temp dropped to sub 32 and got ice on the cover.

The kid is still skiing at behind a club boat every 1-2 weeks to keep his ski fitness up and work on his tricks, it's that lovely time of the year when the air is mid 40's and the water is nearly 60F

• Baller

This time of year any warm temperature days are accompanied by a lot of wind from the south. Water temp isn’t too bad and air isn’t too bad,  it the wind is what kills it. There might be a day or two left that we can ski, but we can’t count on it this time of year. 

• Baller

Best time of the year, temps up to mid 70s, sunny days no wind. But it doesn’t last long. Usually one or two weeks more, till the end of the month. Temps drop fast after that and already difficult to have an evening set as daylight drops earlier. 

• Baller

Still cranking here in New Hampshire, but will probably pack it up last weekend in October with plans to ski at least every month or so over the winter in Florida or further south!  

Any good cold water glove tricks?  Everything else is fine but it seems to take about 90 minutes for my thumbs to work again!  Planning to try nitrile gloves underneath today…

• Like 1

• Baller

@Bdecker In a drysuit, I use latex drysuit gloves (from Wileys) with great success. The first pair I got from them, they came with a very thin polypro underglove. That didn't work for me as it bunched up in my palms and made grip terrible. I tried an old, crappy pair of thin ski gloves as undergloves, and it worked like a champ! Hands stay dry, so they never get cold. The next few pairs of latex drysuit gloves did not include the poly liners, so I suspect others had the same issues as me. Coldest we ski: water temp down to about 36, air temp high 20's/low 30's.

Always the first day in the fall with them, my inside forearm area is "sore" from the additional bulk on my grip. Second day and through the winter, it is a non-factor.

Fast forward to now. The last set of gloves were done, and I contacted Wileys for more. They had not had an order from their supplier for about 3 years. And it turned out that I was one of the last guys to buy mediums from them! So not many people using them. I started digging around and found these from a scuba dive supplier. They work well, but a little less grippy than the latex drysuit gloves. So, I need to figure out a way to increase the tacky factor. https://drysuitspareparts.com/product/unlined-dry-glove-with-wrist-seal/ 

@Skoot1123 We've tried both latex and nitrile thin ones under the ski gloves, and it does help. But not enough for my wimpy temperature-sensitive hands!

• Like 1

• Baller_

@Gale KI loved those gloves from Wileys - sad to see I couldn't order them last year. My daughter got me a pair of Temres 282-02 by Showa; they seem bulky but kept my hands toasty warm even when wet; pretty good grip too . I have toyed with the idea of gluing a drysuit wrist seal in place of the nylon pull string one. They also held up well over two months use last year.

• Like 1

• Baller_

Its sad that we just put our boat away for the winter.

On days like this we sometimes run Rodics OffCourse in "Infinity Mode" running 22 consecutive "balls" down the length of our lake. Saturday was a perfect warm-quiet day on BayLake in Minnesota.

sad.jpg

• Like 2