Motor oil for '95 Nautique

LOTW

• Baller
Just now, LOTW said:

The boat is getting older and oil is harder to find also.

Oil is harder to find? What am I missing? Stores are full of it. My boat is a 92 5.7 that I run full synthetic 5w30 in . Mobile 1, Valvoline, or Quaker State. All excellent . Don't think you could go wrong in your GT40 at all. Are you using something special?   

• Like 1

• Baller

Just make sure the oil used has the SM/SN designation. This ensures the zinc additive.

Last I looked the newest version of Rotella dropped the SM/SN, Make sure to check your Rotella being used. We cannot afford to loose these engines.

• Like 2

• Baller

Shop that rebuilt my GM 5.7 in my 92 Hydrodyne Comp when I had a gasket failure and hydrolock had me run VR1 straight 40wt for break in to seat the rings , then said fine to run full synthetic of my choice . It’s a roller cam engine. 

• Baller

Most every filter you can buy it with or with out an antidrain back valve the Ford FL-1A from motorcraft doesn't have one but there are aftermarkets like Mobil 1 and Baldwin come with it.  So if you're obsessed you might prime by pushing that valve flap open filling the filter and then installing it which would be the work around.

Personally if you've run the engine to get the thing hot and then drain it you're not going to have any oil in the whole system but everything is wet.  I would just install and run it.

On one of my old BMW's the instructions re: the cam chain tensioner which was oil pressurized was once you finished changing it, start the engine and immediately rev the engine and hold it till the tensioner popped out.  I'll tell you that gives you the feels.

• Like 1