Masters Qualifying

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

Incredible skiing today especially Joel running 39 in a huge tailwind off the dock. The wind really whipped up during the run offs. And what about those trick kids. It seems 13k is imminent 😳

@Horton any idea of the running order for the jump at Travers tomorrow? Am guessing they are squeezing 2 rounds in one day 🤔

• Baller

Here's who is in:

IM SL  Nate,  Freddie, Charlie, Joel, Will.  3 spots avail this weekend

IW SL  Regina, Jamie, Whitney, Allie N, Neilly.  3 spots avail

IM T    Patricio, Jake, Martin, Joel. 4 spots avail

IW T    Erika, Anna, Neilly,  Natalia, Paige. 3 spots avail

IM J    Ryan, Joel, Tobias, Louis. 4 spots avail 

IW J    Hanna, Danisheuskaya, Regina, Brittney.  4 spots avail

This coming weekend is shaping up to be fun to watch, particularly mens slalom. In jump, Lauren is supposed to be back. Freddy still needs to qualify.  We may see some unexpected skiers show up too.

Is Jake Abelson eligible to enter as a a junior in overall?

• Baller

There is overall in the Junior Masters. 3 spots are held back in each discipline for overall skiers.   What I don't know is if a skier can ski in juniors and open at the Masters.

Forgot to mention. At Travers this weekend, both rounds of men and women's open are on Friday, the 17th.

• Baller_
Just now, ETskier said:

There is overall in the Junior Masters. 3 spots are held back in each discipline for overall skiers.   What I don't know is if a skier can ski in juniors and open at the Masters.

they can not ski both. a junior skier has to make a choice. unlike Moomba where a junior can ski both.

looks like poland should get some sort of overall award. the BOS overall trophy?? "T"-shirt? something... the last true overall winner? Any guesses? he's french!

are there any pro women who qualified all three?

• Baller_
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ETskier said:

@Jody_Seal Paige has a chance.  Was Patrice Martin the last overall winner?

What is their reasoning for not awarding open overall.  I always looked at the overall winners as the world best skiers.

overall removed due to..... well they just did not want to support it.. toad wake sports needed the slots... 

and yes Patrice was the last. we drank beer out of the big cup at the after party....

Edited by Jody_Seal

• Baller

Charlie Ross ran 5@41 in the 2nd rd of the qualifier. It was not in the run off as stated  earlier. It did tie the Canadian record  I believe not sure if it broke the record but they did pull the rope for measurement. 
Charlie ran 2/12@41 first RD and 5@41 2n round. 

• Baller
On 5/9/2024 at 10:44 AM, Horton said:

@disland This goes back to the complaints about the whole format. They are forcing pro skiers to compete at an amateur event to qualify for what is supposed to be one of the most prestigious events of the year. 

Classic Olympics argument. 

• Administrators

I just reread my above post and realized I had to fix it

"They are forcing pro skiers to compete at an amateur event to qualify for what is supposed to be one of the most prestigious pro events of the year."

I don't think there's any question that the Masters holds a special prestige in the history of the sport. The event has as much or more history than any other water ski event except perhaps worlds worlds. The current qualifying format is an unfortunate devolution and does degrade the prestige of this event. I would not fault a young skier who was not steeped in history for thinking the Masters was not necessarily more special than Swiss pro.

• Like 2

• Baller

@Horton I have no doubt that Joel can be the greatest.  His performances are phenomenal!  He needs more time, though.  If my memory is right, Sammy ha 4 world overall titles and Patrice has 5.  Joel has one.  Give him time.

But, it begs the question...what makes a G.O.A.T.?  The person who puts up the highest score ever, the most victories, longevity?  For example, Mapple is most frequently called the G.O.A.T. in slalom but Smith holds the WR. 

I dont mean to steer this off topic...

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Cooper_Trelawney yes I am guilty of hyperbole here. Joel has not yet put in the years for the title of GOAT but he certainly seems to be on his way to deserving a spot on water skiing's Mt Rushmore. 

• Like 3

• Baller

@Cooper_Trelawney For me there is more to being the GOAT than scores, Persona, Contribution to the Sport, how much time did Andy Mapple, put into the development and understanding of Slalom skis, competition tow boats etc.

I do not want to take anything away from the Pro,s , the Level for Slalom is insane, so many into 41 off and looking like they could run it.

Joel would Qualify in my book, to take on all three disciplines and excel at all of them is phenomenal.

• Like 2

• Baller

It doesn’t look like jacks is uploading to live scoring.

I’ll try to get information for events other than slalom but scores for women in rd 1

Vennesa 3@39

Paige 2@39

Luisa 1@39

Garcia 5.5@38

I left out girls that have already qualified.  

Ok, nevermind.  Live scoring is up now

• Like 1

• Administrators

@NoahVieke I am so confused. The online scoring site says Sunday Only. I do not see where you are seeing scores. https://scores.waterskiresults.com/TList?YR=0

• Baller
33 minutes ago, RobHazelwood said:

Scoring doesn’t seem to be reallly working. Neveu has just been and the first 4

We all should appreciate that Rob posted this 30 minutes before his first pass!

• Like 4

• Baller
7 hours ago, vtmecheng said:

We all should appreciate that Rob posted this 30 minutes before his first pass!

nev with a 4 in rd 1, Cole with a 4 in rd 2. 8 person run off for 1 spot with everyone that had 3s. Sledge and Sasha were the only 3s in the runoff and then had another sudden death runoff. Sledge went first and got 2 (pretty much died) on the way to 3. Sasha got 4.5@39 so sledge got theough

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3