Obrien Elite Bindings

KDK

• Baller

Hello everyone,  I am new around here and was just wondering when Obrien is going to be coming out with their new Elite shell bindings.  Their website has not been updated for a little bit and I was wondering if anyone had a date.  I just broke my rear binding an looking for some new options.  I have never had shell bindings before, but would like to try some.  If anyone has an opinion about another shell binding or if they have seen an elite binding please share.

Thanks,

KDK

The pair I saw were too small to try on, let alone ski. The guy that bought them is coming off of Fogmans. He felt the Prodigy boots are more responsive but are balanced enough that the ski does not go crazy if you are a little sloppy.

The Pordigy is a little more streamlined, but not by much. The big difference from the RS-1/Strada is that the Prodigy uses a velcro strap across the ankle. Becaue the entire length of the strap is covered in velcro, I would not anticipate it breaking loose in a fall. The guy that does ski them told me he did not feel much need to pull the strap particularly tight and does not feels comfortable with how the boots are going to release.

• Baller

As with any binding, if you overtighten them they might not release. If you wear the strap at a normal tightness, you'll have a much better chance of releasing. When Cale first got his he didn't believe that he would release in a fall, so he tried this on-land test:

• Baller

Steven wrote:   "That looks cool! It looks like the rear panel expands to allow for release. Cool idea!"

Isn't this the same concept on the Strada bindings...    They have a rubber heal to the shell allowing for expansion to pass the liner/foot heal through the ankle opening during a release.     These look just like the Radar binding but with a strap instead of the elastic draw strings.   

• Baller
Part of the strada's release system is the stretchable laces, if they are to tight, no release. The prodigy has the strap which will help avoid over tightening, they are much stiffer binding than the strada so u can have more control without needing to over tighten, just my two cents, they do look similar, but quite different when examined closely

• Baller
My thoughts exactly skidawg! It looks like the fit and feel of the Prodigy will give you the same "locked in" feeling as a true hard shell system. I know that I could get used to the feel of the Strada boot over time, but I've been in FM Hard shells for so long, that the looser feeling around the ankle is foreign to me. It looks like the rear panel is the key release component of the Prodigy. I may be wrong, Just my analogy from viewing the video. They look real nice!

• Baller

I feel like I need to step in a defend the Strada's a bit. A few people (who haven't ridden them) have told me they are too soft. I believe they think this because they typically grab the cuff and bend it side to side without the liners in to check them out. They do feel really soft that way in comparison to Reflex or Powershells, but when the liners are in they are much stiffer.

The Obrien's may be great as well. I would not want to feel too "locked in" though when your release mechanism is the stretch of the binding to let you out. 

I would put them somewhere between my old Animals and my recent double Reflex set up. That is not a bad place to be by the way. Horton had been telling me for a while that I would like them. He was right. 

• Baller

How do the Prodigy or Elites bolt to a plate?

I am wondering if a good setup for them might be to mount to a G10 plate and any tip biting fall the plate would release like a powershell?

The video shows a release out the front but sometimes the ski will trap you in and needs to release the other way.

thoughts?

• Baller

I'm pretty sure that these boots will release easily in any direction except through the ski. I have been on them for a few weeks, and they are very easy to get out of in any fall. My only concern with them is that they are very narrow until you get them broken in and still give me a bit of trouble with my wide feet. I am wearing size 12 and my feet are size 10.5EE

Kevin on Katies account