Anyone skiing thru the winter?

Boody

• Baller

I am going to ski thru mid October, then take some time off until late March.  I always wonder how much benefit one would get from skiing thru the winter.  I was suprised that Horton quit skiing for the year, did I hear that right?  Water 74, air 90 in Oregon.

Doane and Scholl, did you guys ski all winter?  In Washington?  

Easy Solution - come ski with us all 'Down Under' - see www.skikarapiro.co.nz  Our lake gets down to 10c in the winter and a few of us have skiied the odd weekend......I used my drysuit, so nice and warm apart from the odd cold headache. It is already 18c and will crack well past 22c ++ in late January.

• Supporting Member

Yeah, I've always thought that if I lived somewhere without ice I'd aim to do one set a week during the winter.  Not skiing hard -- just 4-6 passes on my first two line lengths.  Not even really trying to ski well -- merely trying to maintain my specialized muscle base.  I would think this would greatly reduce the ramp-up time that I experience every year in April and May (and to some extent through August!!  I always feel like I am peaking in September.)

Anybody ever actually try something like that?  It sounds good on paper...

I definitely would NOT want to ski "seriously" all year round.  Both the mind and the body need rest.

• Baller_
We typically ski all through the winter, unless it's under 40'F air, or excessively windy/rainy. Usually just once a week/ 2-3 sets/ keeps you in shape.  One set up the line tournament style, and another of BTB's.  Will only ski a 3rd if I truly sucked, or conditions are stellar.   The boat top w' rain window makes it possible to keep the boat crew warm/dry.  However, this year will be the first I won't be breaking ice (new boat) for the first time since 1998. 

When your body is cold your muscles and connective tissue are short and tight (just like a cold o-ring). You need to be even more careful to get adequately warm and limber. Same thing if you use rubber boots. You need to heat those things up or they're going to perform several notches tighter than they would in the summer.

• Baller

I ski all year.  Usually about 1-2 trips/mo doing between 1-2 sets per trip in the course.  Don't really try to push the limits.  More to "score the month" and attempt to keep sharp on the mental keys I'm working on.  Than, I think this does cut down on the "ramp up time" but I'm pretty delusional when it comes to justifying my time on the water.

Most years I spend about 1 weekend each month each winter free skiing on top of getting into the course.

• Baller
I take time off during the winter.  I had a streak that lasted until about 2 winters ago where I skied at least once every month for almost 3 years.  I have come to realize that I don't see much of a benefit from skiing through the winter, especially given how different everything feels when it's really cold and you're wearing a dry suit.  I have a feeling that if I skied at a slower speed through the winter or didn't ski up the line I'd be so use to skiing 'easy' passes that there would still be the same period of oddness in the spring where things feel fast and I am relearning to some extent.  I ski about 3 days per week through October and then on weekends until about Thanksgiving.  I call it good from then until about the beginning of March; 3-4 months off gives me the opportunity to pursue other sports in the offseason and allows me to rest myself from a season of skiing.  It goes without saying that a few months off really helps get you motivated to get back out there and ski again too!

• Baller
Don't plan on skiing through the winter as it freezes here in Colorado.  But we typically put the space suits on and ski into December before slapping on the tele skis.   As the water is getting colder, I've been thinking about slowing the boat down by .5 to 1 mph, through the end of the season.  It's either that or some fin tweaking.  Any thoughts regarding slowing the boat down, fin tweaking, or both, for the colder water?

• Baller
I'll ski year round since the water rarely drops below 45 here in Austin. A dry suit and closed toe bindings make it an easy feat. Its usually only going to the lake every week or two, but taking two to three sets each trip. A lot of back-to-backs with a monthly trip up the line. Still doesn't keep away the spring season soreness no matter how much I've skied.

• Baller

I'll be skiing until mid Oct here in Montana.  Thought I was done a couple weeks ago, but we've been having a great stretch of weather in the upper 70's and 80's so we'll keep at it.  We usually start up again in mid March/early April, in wet/drysuits until mid to late May.  I'm thinking about dropping the speed to 34 for  the rest of the year to work on technique.  I used to ski year round when I lived in TX but actually like having some time off for alpine skiing and hunting, though the off-season in MT is a couple months too long.

Also in Seattle area, ski all winter except as RD said, downpours or freezing rain (that hurts), our bottom air temp is 38, any below if just too cold on the face and the fun factor fades pretty quick. In all honesty on a nice winter morning with the sun out, pot of coffee in the boat, glass water and the whole lake (public w/ a course) to ourselves, there is not much better. We actually prefer the quietness of winter, even with the cold, over the summer competing with the yahoooooooos and bozos.

• Baller
A set or 2 a week is good clean fun in the Winter time. A huge cooler of hot water on the dock for after your ride, a dry suit for sure, my wife's custom made 1 mil. ski hat for ears and ice cream headache prevention and Zippy's 2010 Mastercraft with heated seats (plural) and hot top with a kick ass heater inside makes it real do-able. That's if he doesn't sell it before Winter kicks in. Closed toe Strada bindings take the foot pain away too. Definitely worth doing! 

• Baller

Sure, we'll ski all winter.  Matter of fact I'm thinking of waxing up right now...  Oh, different skiing.  We have had a crazy fall, still running in the low to mid 80's, which is way too warm for the end of Sept., and the skiing continues until the mountains open.  Then it's time to chase gates instead of buoys.

Eddie Jr. says  "Closed toe Strada bindings take the foot pain away too. Definitely worth doing!  "  Tell your Dad I ski all year and they need to take care of the little people too. So your Dad needs to work on  Radar to start making a  small size, so I don't have pain all winter either.

• Baller
Hi Jean, Eddie Jr. here. My son, sometimes referred to as 'Little Eddie' is 26 and he is actually Eddie the 3rd. I'll have him talk to me about it! I hear what you're sayin' though and we will have a smaller boot but probably not in time to keep your tiny toes warm THIS Winter. Have you tried on the eights?

• Baller
Here in Ohio and Pennsylvania I will pull my boat out for the winter on Halloween weekend. I don't expect to get out on the water again until April. For me it is hours in the weight room, elliptical machine, and the natatorium. I have been in my drysuit since the last weekend in September. It has been raining and in the 40's so it would be miserable out there along with the high winds. It is supposed to get into the 60's and sunny this weekend in PA. Once the water drops below 70 I wear my drysuit. I get very stiff and sore if I don't. It helps me stay loose for trick skiing. We usually go out in the early morning, and in the fall it is usually only in the 50's. My boat does not have a heater. I would love to take a trip to Florida, but not in the budget..