Electric Nautique

auskier

Think of it like a concept car; or like a technology exercise. This one is too expensive for release, but the fact that Bill, Nautique and this other company are committed to heading in this direction is big news!

If you could see how far they have come in the past year, you would be astounded! I saw the prototype last year. It was an old Mastercraft with car batteries. It worked, but was heavy and would only last about 6-8 passes.

Fast forward one year and look at this beauty!!! Not only is it well engineered, the batteries (Lithium Ion now) last MUCH longer. Still a ways from being ready for the public, but a HUGE step.

I'll be skiing behind it in a few weeks and will give a full report back.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/clemsondave/Electric%20boat/CopyofCIMG0903small.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/clemsondave/Electric%20boat/Emotorshot2copy-1.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/clemsondave/Electric%20boat/CIMG0880-1.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/clemsondave/Electric%20boat/Emotorcopy-1.jpg

• Baller
It looks very cool and the inside without the engine there is great. If they could stretch the battery life a little it would be an awesome alternative. 3-4 sets wouldn't always get us through our morning if we have 3 skiers skiing 2 sets each. I would love not having to carry gas down to the lake though.

• Baller
Personally, I wouldn't spend the R&D dollars here until the battery technology improves.  Getting 4 sets and then having to recharge your boat isn't practical.  Hard to say if battery technology will ever become practical given the limitations of storage and charging.  Same problem with autos.  Electric only makes sense as a short commuting vehicle given the limitations of the technology, and hybrids frequently deliver mileage only marginally better than efficient all gas engines at a premium of $5-10k per vehicle.  I'd rather the manufacturers spent their time on internal combustion, hull and drivetrain efficiencies than burn cash on all electric.  Let someone else like GM or Ford spend the capital to make the technology viable first, then integrate it into a ski boat.

• Baller
Tesla cars have ranges of over 200 miles on a charge...this boat would only work for me if you could get at least a dozen sets per charge.

Does it look like it rides bow high or was that just my imagination?

• Administrators

R&D has to start somewhere.

4 Rides non-stop... ok not all that great but what happens when you plug in between sets?

If you are on a lake with a rotation it can be an hour + between sets.

Sure it would suck if there is one boat on the lake and you have 5 skiers wanting 2 sets each. I do not think must of us ski like that

• Baller

Not ready for primetime, but gotta start somewhere.  As technology improves, they may be first to market with an exclusive supplier, leaving the others playing catch up. 

It's a good first shot, and if it positions them well in the eyes of the buyer as a company on the cutting edge, it may help them sell more internal combustion boats.  Their marketers will measure hits to their website, traffic to their booths etc...my guess is this increases their overall exposure dramatically.

Let me share why I am so excited about this. We don't even have electricity at our private lake, but that does not matter.

This is an engineering/technical exercise! Try not to get caught up in the little details. Look a the big picture! I am FAR from the greenest person out there. I would never own an electric car at this point. However, look how far battery/motor technology has come in the past 10 years. Where do you think it will be in the next 10 years? What if they could make an electric boat last for a dozen sets? What if it was quick to recharge? What if the batteries were very lightweight? I believe that is where the public demand is and thus that is where technology will push towards. Last year's prototype could pull about 6 passes. This one can do about 6 times that many. What's next?

I also would not go assuming Nautique spent all their R&D dollars into this. I honestly have no clue, but if PCM develops a new motor, I doubt Nautique flips the bill. There is another company that developed the motors, trans, etc. for this project. I am just SUPER proud that CC stood up and wanted to be a big part in the process.

Will an electric boat be for everyone? Nope. But if it does all the things I mentioned above, I sure would consider it.

• Baller
I agree a very cool thing that CC has done to show the future of our sport. Hopefully they will bring it down to the Masters (im sure they will) It would be cool if they used it to pull the head to head exhibition finals or something like that.

If there was a way to have removable batteries that could be charging while you are using the others so that you could do a quick swap and keep on going just like keeping gas at the dock. Yes I know they are probably the most expensive part of this boat but would double its running time!

We operate electric belt loaders and  small aircraft push back units in our ground operations. The battery packs in the units run about 16K and last about 2 years. The batteries must be recycled and new ones purchased. It is a very small pack compared to what would be needed to run a boat at 36 mph.

1. land fills full of poisen.

2. Add that cost to the origional cost of the boat.     

• Baller

This is VERY cool!

A few reasons why now is the perfect time for a boat company to be spending R&D on this:

Every car company is throwing boatloads of money at the development of batteries, motors, control systems, charging infrastructure, etc, and has been for years.

This technology is easily implemented into a boat, as a boat is a very open platform.

Most boats spend the majority of the time on a lift or at a dock, as opposed to cars that may need to drive 300 miles nonstop.

Battery tech is improving at an incredible rate. Expect 10-15 sets to be possible within the next few years.

More and more waterways are being closed to gas boats due to pollution. This is a major concern for those of us in the industry!

Also let me clear up a few misconceptions...

MattP - Lithium batteries don't like to be fully drained, and will last longer if they aren't. This is also true of the batteries in your phone and laptop.

MS - These Lithium batteries are an entirely different beast than the Lead Acid batts you're talking about. They will most likely last for the lifetime of the boat, and are fully recyclable.

Adam,

If you can keep them up and running for the life of the boat, I am all for it. (as long as it is affordable)

The new light bulbs are recyclable also but for some reason there are boatloads of them showing up in the land fills. We will soon see Fredy Mercury making its way back into our water supply as a result of the new green tech light bulbs we are all forced to use.

OB,

Just fire up a few generators.          

• Baller

Cool stuff.

As Adam mentioned, Li-ion batteries do not like the full charge cycles like Ni-Cd batteries do.

Clearly, this is all about battery R&D and cost. That is going to take a bit more time but prototype machines like this help by generating exposure for what could-be. This has a catalyzing effect within the industries that supply technology to make these machines possible.

I would really like to see more R&D into ultracapacitors, these could be a game changer if the energy density got high enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_double-layer_capacitor

I will say this though, I think a machine like this will generally be energy negative compared with a regular gas machine for most consumers. Li-ion batteries take A LOT of energy to produce.  So you need to put a lot of hours on a boat like this to offset production energy.  I think the idea does have a good number of merits though.  

• Baller

1. I think its a cool concept.

2. Our electrical grid is not prepared.

3. Battery technology is not there.

4. The cradle to grave lifecycle of an electric battery needs to be addressed.

5. The recurring costs need to be shown to the public.

I'm sure CC got some kind of grant to do this research, there is no way they could do it any other way.

Until technology makes the economics work, this will remain on the R&D table.

PS....

Why did CC wast all of the money on the bling graphics and LED lights under the cover.

• Baller
behindpropellers - Its a show boat! You got to make it look cool! Show people what you are capable of and what you have coming and they will look at your current boats. In the long run adding the graphic,stickers, plexiglass cover and LEDs is well worth the little cost at the current time to help them to sell product in the long run.

I believe that electric boats will save 3 event skiing behind a boat in Europe. I have talked to many people saying that cable is taking over because they are unable to put gas/diesel powered boats on their water due to the strict and strong power "EPA" and conservationists.

I do not think that CC got a grant, I'm sure they put up a big chunk of change though. 1. to fund and 2. to ensure they were the only 3 event boat company with this company backing them for the time being. I think the company that is making the motors is the one doing all the research/ got a grant and wanted to utilize a marine electric motor and CC either contacted them or the other way around. Keep in mind the company doing the research is in Canada and I know AT ONE TIME they were able to produce better electric batteries than the US there but the creation of those batteries were more detrimental to the environment during the refining process than it would have been to run the car they were producing them for. The USA EPA as I understand it is stricter on this than Canada's is.

I cold be wrong, usually I am.. :)

• Baller

Lithium ion batteries help, but even they wear out.  Pure electric cars generally go through a battery pack every 6-7 years, at a cost of around $10k.  Like electric cars, I suppose it all depends on your usage.  When I have friends over to ski we run the boat for 6-10 hours a day -- electric doesn't work.  Even on a typical ski day we have 3-4 skiers doing 2 sets each.  Again, this doesn't get you there. 

For someone who skis a set a day it might work just fine, but are they going to be willing to pay the premium over already inflated ski boat prices to do it?  A low volume platform with expensive technology is going to cost you. 

Boat manufacturers have focused for the last 15 years on increasing power in the standard marinized V8 without any regard for fuel efficiency whatsoever.  This is where we coudl see some real gains.  High performance V8 engines in automobiles have seen significant horsepower increases alongside significant improvement in fuel economy during the same time.  While there are obvious differences with respect to transmissions, etc, some of these changes are adaptable to the marine environment.  You can buy a 400 hp four door sedan and put up 22-25 mpg.  10 years ago a car with that kind of power would have gotten 12 mpg.  I'd rather see all the manufacturers focus on known technologies for improving fuel economy in existing internal combustion engines -- that could provide a real and immediate benefit to all skiers. 

• Baller

Look at all the buzz they have already generated right here on BOS.  CC isn't so dumb.  My bet is a good 10 years, though, before battery power/recharge and size allow for quick recharge, adequate # ski sets and maintain a usable interior.

Agree w/my bro that better fuel efficiency prob helps, but until gas is more expensive I care more about my boat's power than the fuel efficiency.  If better fuel efficiency is the goal at some point, need to reverse the trend of bigger boats as part of that strategy.  Unless gas gets and stays expensive, SUV's and large, gas sucking boats will continue to sell. 

In the U.S. we all want cheap gas, but efficiency on a large scale won't happen until gas is expensive enough to push big demand for smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles and boats.  We can't have it both ways.   

• Baller
You have to walk before you can run, and this is only the beginning..Look at the changes in the auto industry in the last 5 years. Most of the big changes have come from concepts that we only dreams years ago…this is only the start and just think if the wake boarders get a hold of one their stereo will drain the batteries even quicker meaning less big rollers……..

"Do Better..."

• Baller

This is very cool. This boat is certainly not ready for prime time, but moving forward, the gas powered boat is only going to get less desirable as environmental pressure and gas prices worsen.

Electrical boats will only get more desirable as battery tech improves.

Even if you had to buy a new battery every 7 years for $10 000, these boats will age much better. They have way fewer moving parts. Replacing the batter every 7 years is a lot cheaper than buying a new boat.

We are so used to running gasoline boats that we don't realize how much of a hassle they are. The are very expensive to maintain and winterize. They are dirty and noisy. We need these massive engines to get good torque.

Now imagine electric: quiet, clean, huge amount of torque, very little maintenance.

If battery technology continues to improve at the current rate, I would hope that this kind of boat would be the norm in 10 years.

• Baller
Half you everybody on this blog can find fault in everything. Either knocking the CC 200 or battery life of of a concept boat. The LED lite show case the power plant and the fact that it is different. I am guessing that a production boat will not have LED lite or clear glass as a motor cover. This is huge for the boat and ski industry. As the EPA is cracking down on water pollution with the now mandated Catalytic motors it is only going to get worse. When/if this boat is ever ready for market who knows what type of hull it will power. I don't see any other boat company coming out with a new design or concepts to improve the sport. CC has produced 3 new designs in 2 years the 200 V-Drive and the 200 direct drive. Master Craft, Malibu still waiting. So to all you negative bloggers out there open up your mind and think outside the box.

• Baller
If the battery autonomy issue was solved, all boats would be electrical. If the battery autonomy was not there yet but you could charge for 1-2 sets in a couple of minutes, i would put one in my lake on a breeze! This is a step on the right direction by all means.

• Baller

www.ltsmarine.com/EN/

The "S" guy from LTS work for my ski partner in winter time and i knew about this for a couple of months.

The boat will premiere at the Montreal boat show starting thuesday.

If you have any specific questions,i'm quite sure Brent could ask them at the guy as he knows him well.

And if you're patient,the boat will be at the first ever Sherbrooke boat show in March and i'll get all your questions answered by the "S" guy...and i'll take a ton of pictures for you guys!

I think the graphics are amazing!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller
When I was going to film school, one of my professors claimed that practical applications for computers were probably 10 years out. Toy Story was out a year later. Technology has a way of hitting warp speed when the creative team meets the $$$ team. I'm glad to see a North American firm developing battery technology. Everything I've heard of previously was that the Chinese were way ahead in this field. JP :)

Can't understand why no body has realised that there is a really simple, tried & tested solution.

Simply add a wake tower with overhead power pickups like electric trains have.

Then you take your average Cable ski park, move the pylons a bit & electrify the wires!

You could run 24/7 with onboard floodlighting to boot!/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif

Cheers

Phil

So a electric motor has torque this is really cool if you are a jumper and I can hear the grumbiling form the slalom gallery now.

Fact: electric motor has endless torque your slalom ride just went backwards and our jump ride just got better but of course some slalom skier is going to put a undersized prop on it and we will be back to the have's and the have not's real quick.