Rumors of Mastercraft Bare Bones Slalom Boat?

skibug

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
The buyers have been very receptive. Very few people who ordered MCs in 2011in Houston ordered the indmar. I can only think of one out of 50+, boats. I think a large part of that was that Ron Brown brought a complete engine and spent 3 full days at our boat show last year. Prospective customers spent hours discussing the engines as well as ilmor's history with him. The Formula buyers have been equally receptive in comparison to the mercury racing engines they used prior. The high dollar yearly maintainence required by mercury turns a lot of buyers off. Not for the $(they are buying a new $300k boat!) but the hassle.

• Baller
I guess some people don't know what sarcasm is. Every time a new boat come out they think it is the best ever and nobody can touch it. That is with every company. So I take what a pro skier's opinion who ever they are with a grain of salt. As for Mateo's knuckle headed comment Yes i have had many nautique because i have been on there program for many years and have not had a reason to get off of it so I have a good knowledge of the boat and it's history.

• Baller
Given MC's track record over the past decade, I hope this new model doesn't turn out to be a disaster. Granted most there problems are associated with the wakeboats. After I owned a brand new 197 in 04 ( total cluster F**ck), it would be hard for me to ever buy another brand new MC. Not that I have the money for one anyway! LOL

I think Mastercraft is aware that there is alot riding on this next boat and that the bar is set pretty high for a slalom boat with the Txi, CP and 200. This is exciting to me and I am really looking forward to this next boat. Hell, we all should be.

My current 2012 197 WTT is a sweet boat and I am going to enjoy the heck out of it while I have it. I'm also going to enjoy skiing behind the other boats all summer long too, as far as I am concerned there isn't a bad boat out there.

• Baller
@dave2ball - the downturn in the economy had more to do with slow 196 promo sales in 2009 than did the introduction of the SN200. There was a significant price increase with the SN200 that still made the 196 attractive. That said, I lived thru the introduction of the 1997 SN that all but killed the sales of 1996 promos. Fortunately, I had my boat sold early in the season.

• Baller
My understanding is that they want to build hype. Why did CC introduce the 200 at nationals???? The economy was just as bad or worse. IMO they want to generate sales and a buzz. Depending on the price the 12 197 may be more attractive and to the average person the upgrade may not be worth the price. Remember this is all speculation.

• Baller
If I were buying a new SN200. I would get the base model closed bow. Since I have not had a chance to drive one. I would either get it with the base engine or the 409. I would change the prop with the base engine since I will never be pulling jumpers, but I would keep the original prop handy if the need should ever arise. I have seen several posts changing to a different prop quiets the rpms down at slalom speeds, and it would probably be better for pulling barefooters too. Since I keep a boat a long time(decades). I would get the closed bow(less vinyl to take care of), and personal preference. A basic single axle but good quality trailer will suffice since I only pull it to the launch ramp and back 1 time per year, and an occasional trip to a marina for maintenance. I prefer PCM engines, so my second choice would be the Carbon Pro. From my experience PCM engines are more reliable. Indmar in my opinion cuts corners such has no water strainer on both Malibus and Master Crafts. I have seen a couple of newer Master Crafts on my lake have problems due to a clogged water intake, that could easily be fixed if there was a water strainer intalled. Ilmor has not been around long enough for me to feel comfortable spending $40,000+ and to tell me how reliable and durable they are. I have heard good things about them so far though. As far as the boat itself I prefer as few moving parts as possible such as hatches and hinges. All of those wear out, and can cause stress points over time on the boat. An area of concern for me is the saddlebag compartments on the SN200. I see potential for a lot of stress where the hinges attach. I like the idea of the those compartments. Instead of two or 3 small hinges I would have one long one that runs the length of each compartment to reduce small stress points. Each of the 4 tournament boats around to day all have their strong and weak points, but all of them outclass everything else out there on the water. The big reason boats are so expensive is the materials come from petroleum products. Looking back to the 1990's I remember getting 89 octane gas for 99 cents per gallon sometimes. I would think the prices would come down a bit if the price of oil comes down.

• Baller

I like the 200's saddlebag compartments, but I wonder if they begin to smell like a foot by the end of the season.

The only concern I have about the Ilmor engine is the price tag! Other than that, I would probably replace my engine cover with plexi glass, 'cause those engines are purdy.

• Administrators

I'm feeling guilty about this. Generally I really discourage false information on this website.

I spoke to someone at Mastercraft a few weeks ago. Their official comment was something like

" Mastercraft is always working on new products. There's currently no stripped-down ski boat in development.”
I cannot guarantee this but I would bet a 24 pack of really good imported beer that is true.

• Baller
I would argue that the replacement for the 197 won't be economical alternative as far as a sticker price. I also heard from good sources that there is definitely a new hull in the works and due out in either in late 2012 or 2013. I heard this information from some individuals who were at the TN plant while Marcus Brown was there helping fine tune the hull and ski and fine tune the hull and ski...repeat until fully cooked.

Here is what I heard - 3rd hand. The wake will not have a bump at 22 or 28. Tracking is dramatically improved. Fuel economy is better than the CC 200. The hull layup will be more consistent from boat-to-boat. The hull will not be introduced until it is right from both a performance and manufacturing perspective. MC knows this must be a "home run" boat. Expect a very refined product - not shortcut or cut rate.

• Baller
@Sully - is there a possibility that whoever saw this stripped down bare bones boat in the water was actually just seeing a test mule being put through the paces, not necessarily a near-finished product? During testing it's probably gonna be a pretty bare bones looking boat, to not completely fit out a test hull until it's pretty close to done would be standard operating procedure I would think. Just a thought.

• Baller
@Bananaron -- I have a Moomba... on a private lake full of the big 3.. I like it... its not as flashy, and the attention to detail not as nice, but it does its job, like a basic Chevy. Wake seems about the same as Malibu. 20.6 x 95 inch beam. It aslso was about half the cost.. at least a full 20k less.

Even the moombas are creeping up in price. My "other" boat is a moomba and I looked at trading it in on a new outback, but even with boat show incentives I was well into the 40s with 15k to trade in my outback V-drive on the outback DD. I just couldn't negotiate the deep discount on a 2012 and there aren't that many 2011s left out there- and no promo outbacks that I could find. When I thought about the depreciation on a new moomba I just couldn't stomach it- that's when I bought Kevin's boat.

• Baller
@bananaron I live in Austin, at the Aquaplex. As far as cost, I got mine for 35k (otd) in 2010. traded a boat I could never sell for it (closed bow 20ft) I think I got a little lucky, I found a dealer leftover 2008 with 15 hours on it. Yeah, Moombas are creeping up.. a new Outback is about 38k before taxes. You'll get hammered on resell on any boat, with boat thats not the big 3 its worse. I know everything is more expensive, and with oil up it doesn't help, but you would still think you could make a basic boat and sell it for 30k new. Of course it would sell like crap because it wouldn't have tower or ballast. It wouldn't be flashy, but it would do the job, and do the job well I would think.

• Baller_
Gekko tracks with the best of them if not better IMHO. I've pulled a big irratick skier with one and the same guy with my 97SN. Gekko needed less correcting. Aside from a bump at 22 and stiff wakes at 28 it's dreamy at 32 and beyond. I think that's a hull that could have been perfected with some R&D dollars and been one of the best. It was/is an outside the box design that followed the Suprats6m which was sweet 28 and beyond boat. That boat was a game changer in design styling and maneuverability in the early 80s. I was a skeptic on the Gekko till I drove one. I would pass on it only because of the stiff wake (small though) at 28 compared to any 196 1997 and up. But not because of handling or interior emenities. To me it's a design that covers a whole lot of wants and desires of the early am closed bow skier to the open bow river cruiser. Without the bling and big $$. Tweak the hull sell it for 15gs less than the big 3 and it would sell. The add-on modular items idea would be a cool touch for resale. Snap-on-bling

• Baller_
Gekko tracks with the best of them if not better IMHO. I've pulled a big irratick skier with one and the same guy with my 97SN. Gekko needed less correcting. Aside from a bump at 22 and stiff wakes at 28 it's dreamy at 32 and beyond. I think that's a hull that could have been perfected with some R&D dollars and been one of the best. It was/is an outside the box design that followed the Suprats6m which was sweet 28 and beyond boat. That boat was a game changer in design styling and maneuverability in the early 80s. I was a skeptic on the Gekko till I drove one. I would pass on it only because of the stiff wake (small though) at 28 compared to any 196 1997 and up. But not because of handling or interior emenities. To me it's a design that covers a whole lot of wants and desires of the early am closed bow skier to the open bow river cruiser. Without the bling and big $$. Tweak the hull sell it for 15gs less than the big 3 and it would sell. The add-on modular items idea would be a cool touch for resale. Snap-on-bling

• Baller

Razor put a pile of hours on a Gekko GTR. Tracked great, nearly 50 mph, good barefoot boat, cool lines, no short line spray. Water over transom, very little foam in the seats, cheaper carpet/dash/motor box, stiff but small wake at 28 off but better beyond.

Like Wish, I agree it was just a few tweaks short of a top tier boat. Better interior materials, a transom lip to keep the wash from coming over and a little softer wake at 28 and it would have been serious.

• Baller

Razor put a pile of hours on a Gekko GTR. Tracked great, nearly 50 mph, good barefoot boat, cool lines, no short line spray. Water over transom, very little foam in the seats, cheaper carpet/dash/motor box, stiff but small wake at 28 off but better beyond.

Like Wish, I agree it was just a few tweaks short of a top tier boat. Better interior materials, a transom lip to keep the wash from coming over and a little softer wake at 28 and it would have been serious.