Who Makes The Best Ropes?

Ham_Wallace

• Baller
ML, I measured mine last week it was short by well almost a mile. Look on the bright side I'm skiing almost a pass better than I thought I was. I have a new ML Pro line and handle on order. I think my line was 3 or 4 years old?

• Baller
Stupid question maybe, but if ropes get shorter with use, do they get shorter with age and little use? For example, if I have a dedicated tournament rope and it gets stored for maybe a year from one tournament to the next can I expect it to be shorter? Before anyone comments, yes they get measured and inspected before each tournament. I haven't found them to be shorter after use. Not wishing to slam any mfg, but due to unusual fraying at the handle connection loop, I ordered that section from MasterLine and found it to be 4 inches longer than the one being replaced.

• Baller

@H20SkiGirl The Masterlines have the black vinyl "marking sleeves" that (I believe) slide up to the pylon to tighten the loop.

I've had many ropes measure up to 21" short out of the package. Always check your measurements. I've often wondered if the manufactures assume there will be more stretch than there actually is. I think they only stretch 3 or so inches (from when new). The shortness usually comes from the mainline section, not the looped sections. I've come to the point where I have extra loops I add to short ropes. Also, I have heard that the sun can shrink them.

@Ed Johnson I'm surprised you had bad luck with In Tow. Our club uses her ropes exclusively, and they measure perfect, and haven't had any issues with breakage.

Have used Brenda's ropes for several years. Love her loops and the solid colors. Past several ropes have had issues. We sent some back and they still have same problems. Always accurate, but the 38 loops keep coming apart. No clue why it is only that loop.

Hoping to catch Rod at Okee this weekend.

• Baller

Ed, where did they break?

Ropes tend to shrink in storage over the winter. Sometimes skiing on them will add some length.

At Big Dawg last year at Cypress, I measured 9 Masterlines that were out of tolerance. They had been used at prior tournaments and Friday practice.

I spent several hours pulling some of them apart to assemble ones that would actually work.

Yet most of the time when someone gives me masterlines to measure, they are good.

Ropes are a constant battle. Brenda has sent me a few that did not stretch as much as she thought and ended up short.

In general hers tend to be the closest to actual. For tournaments that can have Regional/National/World Records I like having the ropes be about 1inch under actual. Heavy use during the day will add several inches.

Years ago I had a brand new Straightline that was about 8 feet too long!

• Supporting Member

Agree that it's almost impossible to make every rope dead on. I've had solid luck with In-Tow, though. Most right on, and the few that weren't only needed to be adjusted in the long white section to get everything to be good. I also like the lack of twisting and the knotless design, although those are minor features.

Shrinkage over time definitely happens. I suspect it can happen even without use, but it stands to reason that use will accelerate any form of decay. Personally, I dont mind just lengthening a rope that has shrunk a little. I've never found an older rope to ski differently than a newish one (except the first few passes of a new rope are super-spongy), although I am somewhat of a light puller.

Not long ago Masterline employed a new machine to make their ropes. If you have old stock, they are not the same lay as the new ropes.

If you look at the specifications for rope in the rules, there is 2.4% stretch. So at 15-off, that equates to about 1.5 feet. That is a lot of stretch. I believe that most ropes, once they are done with the initial creep (set of the lay and initial lengthening) don't stretch near that much.

• Baller
Masterline makes the own ropes.They the material and then spin the weave .All there rope is made in the USA, hand measured for over all length!!! You will not get a short rope. I have used other ropes and you will not find a better rope out there.

• Administrators

I understand US Gear is working on a rope that has the same stretch at 15 off as it has at 35 off. Basically making the longer sections stiffer. I hate to think I am going to have to ski some 15 off to test it.

The idea is that it will make 15 - 28 easier without screwing up 35 and beyond.

If you have not noticed. US Gear is now a sponsor so if you are looking for a new rope you might want to give them a look.

• Baller

Horton pops the handle at 2 ball." Try not to think about that now! No pressure. Can you imagine the humiliation? Don't blow it at 2 ball!!

I will match MS's 12 pack but you have to come here to drink it. : )

• Baller

@Horton, MS is in your head. He's softly whispering "Don't blow it at 2 ball" as you head into the course. Say, ever listen to the popcorn song? Can't get it out of your head all day. Zzzzzzzzz You will think about this tonight. 2 ball....2 ball... 2 ball.... 2 ball.... 2 ball.... 2 ball .... 2 ball...

CHOKE=15 off AT 34 2 ball....

• Administrators
You guys understand that I spent years at a ski school doing stupid crap. I may worry about screwing up my gates at 38 but any goofy challenge is my home court.

• Baller

Sorry to put this back on topic but over the past 10 years, we've held over 40 tournaments and multiple record events using all brands of ropes and Masterline has been the most consistent. When you look at the most prestigious events, they use Masterline regardless of sponsorship. But, if you're dead-set on using Brand X, shoot me an email. I have a locker full of other rope brands that we never used due being out of tolerance. Or, if you would prefer to try Masterline, let me know. We discount ropes on a daily basis but I'll ship it for free to BOS members for a limited time. Just mention BOS in your e-mail.

jdarwin (at) lakesatcottonwood dot com

• Baller_

I almost missed my opener at -22 when I tried last year. You pull long and end up deep off the buoy and your toast. I saw Horton run -38 on a trick ski so who knows what he can do.

12 pack of some local brew if you run it. I need to be there.

• Baller
We used to order ropes from In-Tow. But in a 3 year period(07-09), we had to send 75% of them back. Brenda replaced them. But once or twice, even the replacements were all over the place. Seriously, if someone returns a defective product, the least you can do is make sure the one you're replacing it with is within spec. Of course, they might have pulled a Goode and sent the same ropes back to us. LOL At the time, Brenda told us she had a large batch of rope stock that stretched far differently than was spec'd. The Masterlines are coming out pretty dead accurate. I guess that's why the A&M ski team made off with my rope and handle at the collegiate tournament. Grrrrrrrr.