Who water skis in the "off season"?

Razorskier1

• Baller

Wondering who skis in the offseason. Living in MN I always tell myself that I'll head to Florida a few times over the winter and rip it up just to keep some idea of what I'm doing on the water. It NEVER happens. Kids, family, time and money seem to always get in the way. I'm wondering how many ballers find a way to ski during the offseason.

BTW, I'm hoping to ski near Orlando in April. My two high school kids are at a school trip near Disney for about a week. Figure I could get down there, ski every day and still manage to run into the kids and watch their band perform. Open to ideas!

• Baller
Me! Trips to FL about 5 times a year in the off season (late October-early April) the escape from the cold and snow is worth more than just the skiing, and yes it helps, worst case scenario is I never start a season off worse than I finished it or needing to "ease into it"...

• Baller
I was just thinking. During the season I go through six cans of gas (6 gallons each) a week, on average. Some weeks quite a bit more. So, 36 gallons x 3.75 = $135 of gas a week. That's over $500 a month in gas. So now I'm saving $500/month all winter. Seems like I ought to be able to find some trips to florida out of that savings . . . or maybe not going to florida is how I afford it in the summer!

• Baller

The season was cut short this year. We had a cold and windy October. I missed the warm days we had in March because the lake I ski on was still down 5 feet; I have not been to ski school since 2000. I would like to go to Ski Paradise, but since I am single it costs twice as much to go. Mexico is not safe these days. I would like to go to Cory Pickos ski school, or Jack Travers. I would like to try skiing under the lights at Okeeheelee. Can't ski legally after sundown in PA. I would like to go to April Coble-Eller's ski school, but they close down when I would want to go south. I like a having an off season, just wish it was 2 months shorter. I do need time to get in the gym and get strong again. The winter starts to get long when Steelers Football is over for the year. The rest does me good. It usually takes me a month to get back to form in slalom, and a bit longer in tricks.

• Baller_
What @OB said. Used to have an "off" season growing up in MN. Got tired of making the local small town news paper. "Crazy local water skiers dodging ice chunks again". You would think that if your mom works for the local paper, a better headline would be used, perhaps with the word "brave" Or "dedicated" in it. It's her fault I moved to FL. @RazorSkier1. Sent u a PM.

• Baller
@GAJ0004 if you choose wisely your wife doesn't make you get rid of your stuff. The right wife realizes you would be miserable without your passions. I was a golf addict when I met my wife and shifted to water skiing when my kids got old enough to ski with me.

• Baller

@Cam Don't you have to break the ice in the summer too? Your summer is our winter. You guys must be tough!

My son is moving to Edinburgh next year. Should I bring a ski when I visit? Any fun tournaments (3 event - but I'm not packing jumpers)?

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski true, but we just try to make the most of it, it worked for Nicole Arthur and Stuart Wood, both became world champions training in Scotland.

You can't leave without a ski, our site is just North of Edinburgh and we run around six competitions a year two of which will be three event.

Looking forward to seeing you (and your ski).

• Baller
What boat would anyone recommend to use as both a perfect ski boat and as an ice breaker? This is starting to suck. I am trying to go ski and the damn lake is starting to freeze over!!! Other than the 4 months of winter, and the lack of lakes, and the lack of a pro sports team, and the lack of being able to buy alcohol readily and the abundance of suburbans, Utah rocks!

Here in New Zealand of course the seasons will be all backwards for you guys. I ski as much as I can but it's usually too cold for only a month (around may/june). I love the sport and so try to reduce my time off the water as much as I can so am often found on the start dock in nothing but board shorts with the water pushing 11 degrees Celsius (can't afford a drysuit and don't like wetsuits). No better feeling than hopping into your vehicle and turning the heater onto full blast after a nice early season set!

• Baller

@matthewbrown I'm in the same boat. I have not slashed around in a month and I probably will not until the first of March. That Cali lifestyle is a little rough I hear!

You are not skiing this off season, what do you do to try and stay in ski shape?