If Wake boarding gets into the Olympics, will you be mad?

Bulldog

• Baller

I just saw a news article that the IOC is going to drop wrestling from the 2020 Olympics. Wake boarding is applying as well as baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, and wushu (a marshal art). It is hard to believe that any motorized sport will get in.

Here is the link:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/2012-summer-games/drops+wrestling+from+2020+Olympic+Games/7952414/story.html

"Do Better..."

• Baller

I feel that with snowboarding in, wakeboarding will probably have an edge for acceptance, and possibly has the world wide participants required to field the event.

I think it will have to be cable pulled in order to be appropriate for both video, audio, audience, and uniformity purposes.

No one wants to watch a wakeboarder 3/4 of a mile away across a pond as the boat turns to drive the next sport.

I think instead you'll get a pool which the skier gets one pull across an obstacle, then a turn and a second pass. It will have a variety of available surfaces to utilize, and the run will be scored by a panel of judges.

• Baller

Wakeboarding is partly responsible for the demise of water skiing, Yes I would be mad if it made it into the Olympics.

Just look at some other sports and ask the question are they a suitable for the Olympics.

On the other hand, Female Beach Volley Ball is quite entertaining.

Why not? It is it's own Sport and it draws a ton of interest. (and that means $$$) Especially in the Cable market.

WTS, if WakeBoarding could somehow get into the Olympics while still using Motorized (Boat) propulsion, then that would get Slalom light years closer to being accepted as well! So, it could Win/Win...

I sure can't see a down side to it.

• Baller

I think @BraceMaker is probably on point... Cable-pulled would work. Boat-pulled would not be accepted. Further, I agree that Cable-pulled Wakeboarding with an obstacle course would be the equivalent to Snowboarding freestyle competitions which are already in the Winter Olympics. Thus, a Summer equivalent would be an easy sell.

As I write this, I guess Winter GS / downhill slalom and our Slalom Water Skiing have that equivalency, too. We'd just have to resign to a cable pull format.

Why does Cable-pulled matter? Path becomes a fixed, constant element. Cable pull could be sold as similar to a ski lift (which provides stored potential energy to snow skiers) which is run by a MOTOR... Still, having the cable providing propulsion is a jump for an Olympic event...

Do I care? Not really... or maybe I am just on the fence.

Against it:

I think Olympic inclusion of Wakeboarding would grow that sport. I also feel that Wake Sports have ruined public water usage for non-competitive slalom skiing and traditional combo water skiing activities which ultimately have impacted our decline in numbers via a loss of the historic novice growth path. Further, anything that exponentially grows wake sports will continue to limit public water usability for combo and slalom water skiing by the general public. For these reasons, a complete ban on wake sports on public water ways would likely result in a resurgence of traditional water skiing and slalom skiing by the general public. I don't think that would ever happen, and I am not promoting that as a goal or agenda. Rather, I do think in its absence, weekend wally's and novice slalom skiers would grow in numbers and ultimately feed into our competitive skiing population.

For it:

However, at this point we have to accept the current reality: our sport's continuation is a bit dependent upon boat sales by Wake sport enthusiast. As stated by many on this forum, boat manufacturers don't make 3-event boats as a significant market for major profit. In fact most free-market businesses would look at their various market segments and determine each segment's isolated profit/loss status and move out of markets that don't drive the bottom line forward. So, maybe we want to see wake sports to continue to have success so that boat manufacturers will have sufficient revenues to continue to provide us with 3-event boats...

Two opposing arguments, I guess.

Based on current policy at the USOC, it's my understanding that there is a major emphasis on supporting "medal events" especially those where the US stands a good chance in winning medals. Presumably if cable wakeboard gets in to the games, the US should represent pretty well. So what.....

Well, USAWS is the current governing body of all "towed water sports" in the US. Any funding or other types of monetary support that is distrubuted by the USOC will go to USAWS. There may be some restrictions on any funding, it could be general funding or both. Either way, it's revenue for the mother ship.

The increase in popularity from the exposure would, I believe, be noticable. Even if it's a cable driven event, not everyone that wants to try the sport will have access to a cable park so that means boat sales and wakeboard sales. It's conceivable that also means more ski sales. Either way it's bound to help the current manfacturers and others in the supply chain that support 3 event waterskiing too.

Finally it may open the door to 3 event skiing to be included at some point. May be a long shot for sure but frankly I can see many (if any) negatives to cable wakeboarding becoming an olympic event.

• Baller
Its all good. Somewhat off topic but. Where would alpine skiing be without snowboarding. They would be screwed thats what. We need to learn to better align ourselves with wakeboarding of all types. I would like to see more cable jumping. From what I have seen its looks pretty fun. Why is it happening only in Europe? Stretch your mind a little further and expand the trick event to include wakeboarding. How about we kill toes (really its kind of stupid) and have one pass on short board and one pass on a wake board

• Baller
More exposure means more wakeboard boats on the lake tearing up perfectly good waterskiing water. Get those damned kids off my lawn! Also...I want to see Softball back. I don't know HOW I got hooked on that sport, but it is fun to watch the softball WS. (go sun devils)

Human error would be the 1st ostacle to a Boat (Motor) driven event. An error that was not on the part of the Athlete...

So, who would drive? Your driver? -that would probably make it a Team event at best. A neutral Driver? -can't see that working out real well. Between $$$ (wink, wink) and again Human error, (cough, cough.)

Even a Cable (elec. Motor) event could (would) catch a lot of heck and scrutiny from the Athletes. I'd Love to see it happen regardless of how it gets there or how it is judged or run...

• Baller
@h2odawg79 its called driving in record tolerance... The IWSF/IWWF what ever they are called these days created these tolerances because of the dream of obtaining Olympic Games status. You can't fudge end of course video or GPS boat times. There are neutral drivers out there from Switzerland, just kidding but there really neutral drivers. There is one way to loose your respect as a driver and not get invited to drive an event is to cheat a skier for the better or worse. A skier knows when their drive path is off.

• Baller

@gregy I agree. What's next? Rowing? Track? Swimming?

Wrestling was one of the orrgional Greek events and has been in every modern Olymics. Those suits don't know what the hell they are doing. They singlehandedly crushed so many dreams today. I could not even begin to imagine the feelings and attitudes at a wrestling practice this afternoon!?

I coach highschool rowing full time at a pretty elite level club. If I had gotten this same news about rowing and have to turn up at practice today. I literally do not know what I would have done or how I would feel. It's unimaginable for me. I feel for these wrestlers. If it was ping pong... Yeah I would not bat an eye. If cableboard gets in because of this I will not support it at all not one single bit.

• Baller
@ToddL I know. I have been fortunate enough to spend time with, be coached by, and coach with members of the USRowing team and I know they would literally be crushed. Yes they would stil have USNationals, Worlds ect. but the Olympic dream is the highest of them all.

• Baller
Seems to me this is a decision on made on the interest of viewer ratings vs. athletes best interest. Sad day for the Olympics, not just the athletes. I've always had a lot of respect for the Olympics, but this really makes me wonder.

It's not a sport, there is no clear winner. Everything is judged by how the judge felt about it, not by anything you can measure. It's about the same as pulling a tube on big lake but with a better chance of getting hurt. Sure it can be fun to do for a summer but then it gets old. I've seen it at its peak about 5 years ago where I ski. Now I see about one wakeboarder in a week if any.

• Supporting Member

I would be mad if cable anything got in before the originals. But then again the Olympics just generally make me mad lately. Coverage is awful and so many sports are totally uninteresting. (And I love watchings sports!)

At least I hope cable wakeboarding can find announcers who actually like the sport, unlike diving!!

• Baller

@jrs - I've seen something similar, used to get really pissed at all the wakeboarders, fact is so many people cannot stay up long enough, or even jump the wake once.

Most of them have converted to surfing around us, see lots of wake surfing. And of course the jetski.

• Baller

@Horton - just for comparison - I have a Canadian in my life *FOR SHAME!* she gets as much olympic content as she can get during the event.

Thing is she streams CBC coverage which is way better, I was even watching the olympics this year because of it.

I think if the Waterski Broadcasting Company gets their bandwidth sorted I wouldn't give two shakes for the Olympics. If however I was a committed tournament skier with the ability to go to world level competitions then I might really wish there was that next tier.

I think it takes extreme commitment to be a professional waterskier, when this site might be the best single source of fandom for the sport.

• Baller

Horton beat me to it. I haven't watched the Olympics in probably 10-15 years at least so to say that the sports involved really matter to me is irrelevant.

I always tell people slalom skiing is my true passion but I do wakeboard and wakesurf. That said, if it gives people something to dedicate themselves to, who really cares what sport goes into the Olympics. If 3 event skiing was added and it came on at 10AM on Wednesday, would you take off work to watch it or watch it on DVR a few days later when you were bored?

• Baller
@Horton I watch. I'm somewhat of an Olympic nut. I have all the apps, TV Coverage, even online streaming at the same time. I watch summer and winter (what do I know about snow ABSOLUTELY NOTHING) I also watch the DewTour summer and winter, XGames summer and winter, SnowSki World Cup stuff. US Team trials for almost any sport. Granted I do compete and coach in an Olympic Sport that does have something to do with it, as well as I attended the Atlanta Games.

• Baller

I love the Olympics I will watch almost anything on the Olympics. That said I can't believe they are dumping wrestling and keeping rhythmic gymnastics or synchronized swimming. It may be an equality thing but that sucks wrestling is an event where you can actually tell who won instead of so many judged events.

At the end of the day I wouldn't care that much if wakeboarding got in because I don't think water skiing ever will. I don't like my dues to USAWS going to supporting wakeboarding but I don't know that I have the will/ability to change that.

As @MattP indicated I don't see a difference between a cable and a boat. There is a big difference between the cable and a chair lift.

• Baller

Difference in a cable and boat is the scale of the course.

For spectator value, and ability to run multiple riders in rapid succession with less downtime, the cable will get you going - cable can give you a ride down and back over slider boxes and kickers in about a minute.

• Baller

@dbski As far as the twirling ribbons goes, I don't know if you know it, but there is an awesome website dedicated to all the twirling ribbon folk out there. It's called Twirl of Air or (ToA) for short. They have some great topics for discussion.

-I injured my wrist

-What type of baton works best in warm climates?

-Poll: Can you still twirl with a baton that is not in proper balance?

-Adjusting factory settings on batons

-Twirling in public gyms vs private gyms

You should check it out!

Sad thing is this: the olympics have become so much about making money for the organizers and not about the athletes. I feel bad for those kids who had their sights set on competing one day, who will now have to make alternate plans. I wish we could bring the true competition back with relevant sports, but I fear @Horton is correct, it won't happen.

As far as wakeboarding. It's wet, there is a ski, and it could only help our sport. Wakeboarders are good dudes, they just haven't had the exposure to skiing the balls like we have. I know I am on a mission to convert as many as I can....but until that happens, I will support them to further the cause.

@Brady, Quote: "As far as wakeboarding. It's wet, there is a ski, and it could only help our sport. Wakeboarders are good dudes, they just haven't had the exposure to skiing the balls like we have. I know I am on a mission to convert as many as I can....but until that happens, I will support them to further the cause".

That's Solid...

I Do Not Board personally, but the "All or Nothing", "Us or Them" mentality has got to be the most foolish and un-becoming attitude that either side could offer. I have personally met as (Brady pointed out) some very Good Dudes Boarding. Some of the friendliest, most outgoing and least Uptight people on the water are often the Boarders. (Not always!)

Some have been so rather crapped on by the "Us or them" Ski Community, that they almost don't know how to act when they find a "Skier" reach out and give them the time of day.

I Ski on Public Water and Really cuss the Rollers sometimes! (o.k. A LOT!) BUT, I Cuss the "Rollers" Not the Guy/Gal on the back who is only trying to do the same thing that I am doing: ENJOYING my time on the Water!

P.S. They do make AWESOME converts! There are some flat out Ballzy Boarders out there and when bit by the Slalom Bug, they can lay it down in a hurry...

As a slalom skier and a wakeboarder, I would like to see both in the Olympics. But, I don't think there is a chance of either making it. I have a cable system in my backyard, and it can be fun. It is, however, a judged sport like so many others. I prefer to have a solid winner by some objective measure.

From a history lesson perspective, the Olympics were a matial arts based competition. Wrestling was one of those arts. So are short and long distance running and the rest of the track and field events. Call me old fashioned, but I like seeing the struggle of one person to another in the Olympic setting. The judged events, other than gymnastics, are just not my thing. But everyone makes an exception for something.....

• Baller

I too, love the Olympics - summer and winter. I don't care much for some of the sports that are already in like synchro swimming, curling, rhythmic gymnastics, ice dancing, boarder f-ing cross (are you kidding me? One thing snowboards are not meant to do is race. F that.), but those sports have a following, so they are in.

I can't believe they are dropping wrestling, though. That is one of the most natural, athletic sports there is - like running, jumping, throwing, swimming. It's based on something that humans do naturally with little to no equipment, just your body. The IOC should never let those sports go.

• Baller
There is no purer sport than wrestling. Think about it, no ball, no equipment, no teamates, no hoop, nothing but you and your opponent. You can't blame a loss on a bad bounce or bad conditions, or your teamate, the better man walks off the mat! As an ex-wrestler and coach I now have zero respect for the IOC its all about the money!

• Baller

It is pure blasphemy to remove wrestling from the olympics. Then a fad "sport" like board-cross makes it in! Give me a break! Leave that stuff for the X Games.

I agree that it would likely take a cable system to get it approved by the IOC. Ironically, all the boarders I know kind of see cable parks as a different sport. Launching off a huge wake is "real" wakeboarding in their opinion. I'm not a boarder, but I see that point of view. If that's a common viewpoint, I'm not sure it would result in the added viewership their looking for?

To the theme of thread, I won't lose any sleep either. BUT, it does make me really mad that they pulled wrestling. That flat out stinks!