US Gear

BillyBob

I see that a lot of people have gotten their US Gear deliveries. Is anyone else still waiting? Or is it just me?

Mine does not seem like it will ever arrive despite frequent inquiries and assurances that it will be mailed in a couple of days.

We are a month into the season here now and still no ski rope!

• Baller_
Randy turned into a 1 armed rope maker after his injury. The 2 for 1 offer put him back a bit but he is making handles daily. I would gladly trade you open water for my handles. I have a foot of ice and 2 new handles, you have open water and no handles.

• Baller
Randy got in touch with me today. The guy is working 24/7 trying to get out all his orders. If you are still waiting don't give up hope, he is on it. Can't wait to try out my new rope and handle.

• Baller
I like Randy and his products are fantastic. I'm trying to be sympathetic to the situation but I've sent three vety polite e-mails asking for status and none have been returned. Holding out hope

• Administrators
I exchanged emails with Randy today. He has clearly had a bad few months but it sounds like he is getting his head back above water. He thinks he might be totally caught up in a week or so... (I think that is what he told me - not quote me)

• Baller
Seriouly, Randy should just take 1 day and do nothing but write out a list of pending orders older than 4 weeks and estimated ship out dates if possible. That will ease the inquiry distractions by showing customers that your order hasn't gotten lost off the list to be fulfilled. Most attempt to contact him are just people confirming that they haven't been forgotten somehow.

Friend just brought our hadles back from florida for us since they were not ready when we were leaving to come back. Was very excited until I noticed they were not the handles we ordered. We got 2 regular radius when we ordered 2 Gordon Rathbun pro comp with spectra line. Anyone else have this happen?

Still have not received the proper handles even after randy sent us an email back in early may saying he would ship them asap. I e-mailed him last Monday and still no reply. Called today and mailbox is full. With how short our season is up here in Canada I wonder if we will even get to use our handles. I understand being busy and all but an order from January 1st should be taken care of by now...even with the mix up of handles. Anybody else waiting still?

• Baller
@eurosport, I am in the same situation you are, but without receiving anything... Last communication I got from Randy was "I strung them around 3am this morning so It will ship today." on July 1st, but the mentioned shipment did not happen, and no response even after 3 follow up emails...

• Baller
Sorry to hear. My 2 GR Pro's are awesome. Best gear purchase in a while. I haven't skied much due to weather this year, but must have had at least 3 or 4 mis grips saved by the curved handle instead of rope.

@ral I don't know what is worse not having anything or having to look at the controlled stretch mainlines and wrong handles wanting to try them out but not trying them since the handles must be either sold or sent back by me.

• Baller

Sort of reminds me of the commercial about a bunch of young people with their first website celebration, and then they get excited when orders start coming in, then they get overwhelmed with orders and how to fill them.

Getting hurt in an industrial accident didn't help, but I would bet @Brady a donut that Randy just flat got run over by more orders than he could handle....

I understand he was been swamped with orders since January but you would think by now he would have it organized enough to get the orders out. Hire some help if needed. My father in law was in Florida all winter hoping to ski with the new handles and it never happened and the way things are going now we might miss our season here as well which is kind of frustrating. It was May 12-13 when I spoke with Randy to let him know the handles he sent were wrong which he admitted to upon further inspection of the online order form. We are now almost 2 months later and still no sign of the right handles or any response to our request for an update.

• Baller

Does any know if US Gear is a part time business? How long has he been in business? Maybe it a side business for him? I have a handle which love but I'm wondering if I'll every be able to replace it if needed.

I ran a small business for a number of years and know it can get overwhelming at times. I'd say Randy needs to make some adjustments if he wants to stay in business.

• Baller

@gregy....I have known Randy since 2003 and believe it is now full time for him....His main customers are Barefooters, plus he sells a lot of handles to Australia..He hand builds all of these himself...I use to use a 3 month lead time when ordering, but may have to extend that to 6.

I always keep a practice handle, a Tournament handle, and a spare....They are the Best out there and I can't imagine skiing without one..Nothing else comes close.

@gregy the order was placed January 1 so yes its over 6 months. I really did not want to have to go down that road but trust me my father in law and I have discussed it. Not sure if they would allow us to do a chargeback after 6 months but seeing as I have emails from Randy admitting to having sent the wrong handles and assuring us the proper ones would be sent promptly they might accept it. Would just be a lot easier not to have to do that. I do not want to make trouble for randy at all I would just like a response with when we can expect our handles and hopefully its sooner rather than later.

These handle must be amazing for so many to endure this lack of customer service. If you're running a business why would you not just hire some admin support to keep customers happy and enable him to focus on making the handles? It'll only cost him customers in the future if he doesn't.

• Baller

I've held my tongue about this because I tend to get sucked into the typical Human Drama. I LOVE my handles and they protect my ski from handle dings. I'm with @Moggie regarding adding an employee or two.

On the other hand, we Ballers are an extensive network of Hard Workers and Business Professionals. Is there not someone here on BOS that could step into the role of a part time "order update/responder"?

I would just hate for this to turn into a negative for Randy and cause him to want discontinue the project. I'm guessing he owns the patent on the design and therefore we would be hosed if he were to truly stop.

@gregy good luck trying to get in touch with him. I've emailed both Randy's and the customer service email addresses plus his vm is finally accepting messages again left a message Tuesday and still no answer back. I really want to support a sponsor of this great site but am at a loss for how to go about getting this fixed up.

• Baller
I'm in need of a new handle. I have been using US GEAR for the past 3 yrs. I feel Randy makes a very quality product and do not want to switch companies. I am hesitant to place an order in fear I will not see it until next year. I know there was a lot of Ballers very unhappy with the customer service, has that changed? Are orders being filled and sent in an appropriate time frame? If not I may just find a new handle company.