The John Horton Interview 2013

kona

• Baller
@Horton. Because of all you have done for me, I was going to buy you a year supply of Kilo Kai, until watching this video! I don't think I have nearly enough money to make that happen. Sorry. BTW, while you are looking at this, I have a quick question about my fin setting.

• Baller
@Horton -love this site and love your enthusiasm and stewardship but like it or not you have become a bit of a role model with young skiers and with great power comes great responsibility. i have pre-adults and young adults in my charge and i would hate to hate to have them think killing an entire bottle of 70 proof anything in one chug is cool. that one video moment probably just cost me some un -anticipated future discussions about the chinks in one particular semi -heros armor. bummer.

@mwetskier: Just my personal opinion, but as a grampa and dad, I would think, if you have so little confidence in your charges that you doubt they can differentiate between a joke and real life, then having the discussions now would be an advantageous strategy. In fact, you owe Horton some thanks for giving you a springboard to talk proactively to the youths in your charge.

• Administrators

@mwetskier

I hear you. To be clear that was a joke -inspired by John Bulshi / Animal House. If this site was largely viewed by children it would have been clearly inappropriate.

Nearly all readers of this site are men 35 to 55. Even so I do have mixed feelings about it. This is a joke I will not be recycling.

• Baller

@gator1 -right. so should i also take them to the worst part of town and drop them off at dusk so they can see the seamier side of life -and then later we can talk proactively about it if they survive? chugging a whole bottle of rum in one gulp wouldnt be allowed in a TV commercial and that one thing alone could earn a movie a stricter rating so my thoughts on the matter are not exclusively my own.

young people are impressionable and if they see something portrayed as being cool by someone they respect it doesn't matter if they think its a joke or not there still going to be tempted to try it. i understand there are different standards of parenting but i prefer to set examples i want the next generation i have impact on to follow and binge drinking of alcohol isnt one of them. i do get the concept of your house your rules -my house my rules -hortons house hortons rules -just voicing my opinion on what i would and would not prefer my young ones to be exposed to so casually.

• Baller
@ShaneH -kilo kai has disclaimers all over there website about the legal drinking age and drinking responsibly do you suppose they want one of there advertisers to promote drinking an entire bottle in less than a minute? i have to imagine they wouldnt approve as much as maybe you think and it could actually bite horton in the butt if they decided they should distance themselves because they dont want to see that video played in court one day during a wrongful death suit.

@mwetskier: Don't think dropping the youths off on Sprague Ave (our red light district) and watching to see them survive is the same. If I tried to make sense out of your histrionic scenario I guess that'd be equivalent to making them watch Horton down a bottle of tea colored water, then forcing them to drink a bottle of real Kilo and drive home.

And by golly, after botching that analogy, yep there it is, you're talking lawyers and associated crap.

Don't know why folks think you can legislate the stupid and foolish out of people's behavior. But I am convinced hiding it from your kids does a lot more damage then letting them see it, explaining it, making sure they understand it AND the consequences of adopting stupid as their modus operandi.

I WOULD suggest you drive the kids down to Sprague, show them the hookers and drug addicts and say "screw up and that can be you".

Acting, legislating, thinking, policing as if people behave as they should, rather than the way they actually do, in my opinion, causes much more harm than admitting people are people, have been people, will be people, and sex, drugs, booze, thievery, lies, brutality are going to be a part of life until we can genetically modify humans. Hiding from it, passing laws to try to hide from it, trying to censor some website to hide from it, all fall into my definition of harmful futility. This isn't a FCC controlled TV station.

But, sounds like Horton has decided to "move to the center", so whatever that's his decision. I give up. Surprised (but happy) the girls in swimsuits are still on here. Don't really know why I even commented. Going back to my mantra "I didn't mess this up, I can't fix it, it's not my fault". That, plus a lot of booze, gets me through the evening news. And soon, here in good old WA, I can substitute a couple of tokes for the booze and wake up even more chipper!

• Baller
@Shaneh -I once got dragged in as a witness in a wrongful death lawsuit where alcohol was involved and someones beloved child was killed and i dont recall seeing anyone laughing but i do recall somebodys life and business ending up being destroyed. i guess nobody got the joke.

• Baller

I believe it is threads like how this has turned that cause horton to drink! Seriously guys, according to my 7 wives, this site is mostly suitable for children. What I find more offensive about @Horton is how damn good he still skies after spending 27 hours a day on this site taking care of all of us! @mwetskier, with all the niceties I can muster, if you are old enough to be on this site, you are old enough to know the difference between a stunt and a raging alcoholic...bent on self destruction. The majority of us come to this site to let off steam. So, relax and have a Kilo Kai, or two, or three, or hell, have the whole bottle!

• Baller

@gator1 -i havent attacked or ridiculed you personally it would be nice if you show me the same courtesy. i successfully raised my own kids, several foster kids, and am currently the male role model for my sisters children and their friends. as part of growing into there adult persona young people imitate what they see -especially things that the adults they know think are funny or cool and if they see binge drinking as both of those things then you can bet theres going to be some alcohol issues in there near future.

if this website was called booze-and-broads-and-boats.com and had nothing to do with a family involved sport that often discusses how can we grow then i would agree i should just keep my damm mouth shut on this subject. but its not booze-and-broads-and-boats.com now is it? perhaps i am wrong but if i am then im not alone. virtually every activity thats considered strictly the realm of adulthood is regulated to protect under aged people from being heavily exposed to it. your certainly free to swim against that tide but you cant claim the prisons are full of people whose parents were too conservative in there upbringing.

ps -i like this website and i am glad that horton has sponsors outside of the sport that are willing to support his efforts. his move to center as you call it is a clear indication that he knows the difference between clowning around and doing business. its a lesson anyone who proposes to bring outside interest and sponsorship into this sport would do well to learn.

• Baller
@Horton -sorry probably my fault. i do think someone with more conservative concerns should be able to express there opinion since this sport is made up of all kinds of people not just the party crowd. but honestly my greater concern is that you support and represent your sponsors the way they want to be perceived. my guess from reading there entire website is that they would not approve the message sent in the last seconds of that video, but what i think should carry no more weight than any other opinion. i would love to have you run the video past your kilo kai connection directly and get there read on the issue. then do whatever it takes to keep them happy -in the end thats all the matters here.

@mwetskier: You're a better man then I. Hats off to you for shouldering the burden of other people's kids. Raising my own was about all I could take... Peace out.

Now, @ShaneH: Seems like mwetskier has posited an excellent idea for a new website with potential for growing the sport. I think you should look into it.

Hookers!??? Where'r the hookers? Decaff, for sure! Horton's undying denial of anything funny in that interview was one of the funniest things about it. Now, he's been outed and this kid's dream has been ruined. Feel like I just found out Santa Clause isn't real. (Might want to be careful about letting your six year old see that part, too.)

• Baller
@GroovyGrant You should probably redact your post so there is no chance that a child might find that Santa isn't real. That would be a gross injustice and could potentially lead to far reaching personality deficiencies later in life. Hmmmmm........ is that what happened to @MS???