winter fitness

Horton

• Baller

I've just started the 7 minute workout three days a week and have been really happy with it so far. A tough, tough workout, but quick and not a whole lot of equipment (or gym memberships) required. And the scientific thought behind HIIT (high intensity interval training) seems to make a lot of sense.

I've added a few core-specific items so it's actually a 13-minute workout for me.

• Baller

My plan is as follows. Allows me to keep mass down and aerobic capacity up (i.e. I don't suck all the oxygen out of the county after a few passes)

My winter plan has 3 main components:

Run: 34-50 miles per week - I also run 1/2 marathons so you could probably cut back, 20 miles a week is a pretty solid number for most people.

Cycle: 100+ miles per week (including commuting, mountain biking, road biking and indoor trainer, no spin classes for me though)

Weights: 3 Days per week, 60+ minutes per day

I focus on core and upper body with the weights

I prefer deadlifts, traditional and straight leg, squats, lunges, bent rows, etc. Really a standard gym weight workout with the addition of dead lifts. Lots of shoulder raises and LOTS OF CORE work. No gym required either, I do it all in my basement with about $200 of equipment I found on craigslist. Caution on the deadlifts - if you do not have good form, you WILL get hurt.

I have found keeping my weight down and aerobic capacity up is as or more important than strength.

If every workout is the same, you will not get far, workouts need to be of varying intensity and length to get the greatest benefits, but every workout has a purpose, some strength, some endurance, some recovery...Don't skimp on recovery, its as important as anything else. This is coming from my experience as a runner, cyclist and water skier; as well as the writings of Jack Daniels (running coach, not distiller, though I am a fan of the distiller as well).

• Baller
+1 for Jenny LaBaw! I've been using her for over two years, and as a person who has worked out his entire adult life, she has done more to help me improve as an athlete than I ever did on my own. Yes, I put in the work, but her programming is legit

• Baller

-Eating right.

-Lots of core work on and off my Indo board. Along with bodyweight workouts on and off the Indo board as well.

-I have a erging routine that will consists of 2 sprit pieces and 1 long piece days every week. I have worked out a program that simulates the speed of skiing and keeping my endurance up with the longer pieces.

-Going to try and get out on the water more and row as well.

-No running ever. ever.

-Some grip and forearm work along with some light lifting.

-Hopefully some water time down south if my college kid budget allows it. I'm already cutting out the coffee and some beverages to pay for it..

• Baller

Great to see everyone getting into getting stronger to ski better. If I can offer any help I will. I own a physical therapy clinic and love to train skiers. Hit me up or come see me if you live in MI

matt@clarkstoncorept.com

Core Strength = The ability to maintain neutral spine/pelvis relationship under load and through dynamic ranges of motion (see @marcusbrown "stripperbutt"). You have to lift heavy things to build true core strength. Deadlift/Back Squat/Clean/Snatch then mix in some high intensity metabolic conditioning and you have a recipe for PB's the next season. BTW skip all the long slow distance crap like running/biking hundreds of miles that will only make you weaker. We are in a short very intense sport your training should mimic that.

• Baller
@tc so lets see... Klundell lists four exercises and basically the scenario of CF, yet the name itself causes you to view it negatively and relay a false statement that dramatically implies a great magnitude of injuries incurred...interesting...

• Baller

Continuing with and focusing on CrossFit. It's the only workout program I've ever done including all the home stuff and various standard gym memberships that I can actually STICK with, and I love it. Started last March and I'm 20lbs lighter and in the best shape of my life. Love it!

I couldn't even stop doing it during the ski season because I liked it so much which made me pretty worn out all summer. There were times when I went 14 days straight either skiing or CF'ing this summer! Gotta figure out a better balance next summer.

• Baller

@BCM

That is a serious training schedule. Must be type 25 hours a week.

I can hardly squeze in

Two times 40 minutes comuting in crusing speed.

One pass core training

One pass yoga training

There must be time off for

Jobb, family, houses, boats, cars, family and wife.

I usually get 25 days snow skiing. A lot of SL and GS on mastets entry level.

A few sets of cross country skiing an also ice skating (it is a fantastic experience skating on the lakes)

I some times take a week off but my body can not take more training.

@jayski I do CrossFit. :) Although I try to be smart about it. Lots of weightlifting and short metcons rarely exceeding 15 minutes. @tc you do know that Jenny does crossfit (one of the fittest women in the world) and the Ballers are loving her work. But I'm sure she is smarter then your average box version of CrossFit.

• Baller

Crossfit!

If you are sensible about it and know your limits the chances of you getting hurt are no greater than any other fitness regime. Why people always bag out crossfit and getting injured is because some people do take it serious. Its a sport, as skiing is for us. You are going to push yourself to get that last lift out or last rep, the same way we will try and take a massive hit now and then out the gates of your hardest pass. Both not the smartest things to do and you have a chance of hurting yourself.

• Baller

There is a great podcast with Robb Wolf talking about how crossfit has

changed from fitness of the masses to basically training for the elite athlete. Crossfit principles still good, going to a generic box and just doing the WOD without common sense you do so at your own risk.

Jenny uses the principals and applies directly to water skiing to maximize our performance.

• Baller
First 2 months of winter 3 days of strength and core training, and 4 days of cardio each week. Take 1 day off as needed. 2nd 4 months of winter 2 days of strength and core training and 5 days of cardio. I have 4 different weight/strength/core training programs. The rest of the work is done in the kitchen. No fast food, low sodium, no sweets. 5 days a week no carbs after lunch. Live on grilled chicken and veggies.. I will swim if I get the chance, and maybe play some racquetball. Lots of stretching too.. It worked very well for me last winter. I hope to crank up the intensity this winter. Trying to get to the Midwest Regionals for the 3rd time, but my first time in Men 4.

• Baller
Just saw that P90X3 is coming out. I believe it uses the HITT principles as it is only a half hour long. Sign me up for that. With a young family and doing workouts after work an hour long workout makes family time tough. Sign me up for 30 min of brutal high intensity exercise NOW!!