Coaching?

mbabiash

• Baller

My wife asked me if we could go somewhere to get some slalom coaching

I've been waiting to hear that for a while now.

She doesn't want to go somewhere where your just run through like cattle.

I don't mind that but she's been with me to rini's, and Chet's place and wants somewhere a little more laid back.

I contacted Robby at ski sunset ranch but she was booked for our dates.

We are wanting to take 2 sets each for 3 days.

I was thinking Larkin in Miami. Didn't know how laid back that was or Trent in Zorn but not sure how his coaching is laid out.

Any input?

She wants to stay in a nice hotel so no on site accommodations are necessary.

Matt

• Baller
Just skied with Larkin. I can't say enough about what a great coach he is. Very laid back. The sight is close to the Airport. If you stay at the Trump National Doral you're only about three miles from the lakes. Just make sure you aren't on the roads during rush hour!

• Baller

I'm with @Razorskier1 Jodi's place is very laid back. White beach, hammocks, cabana/bar on the lake. It is for sure my go to place for coaching. There is a new ProStar and a great driver on site. Lots of great places to stay near by and is close to parks and not far from downtown if you want to go there.

Jodisskiskool.com

11233784_10155576510390451_2494571224463928864_n.jpg?oh=2152ae722a4a44db5e5a91cb4bc777d3&oe=5603CE9C

• Baller

@Brooks Wilson runs his school like you are describing. Very laid back, one-on-one and fun!

It is withing 30mins to MCO and also cocoa beach, so you could theoretically get a place by the ocean, and have the best of both worlds.

• Baller
greater Miami ski club where aaron larkin is, is flat out awesome! granted I call it home, so a little biased..however he is a great coach, and our club is very welcoming and close to everything!

• Baller
Several years ago my wife and I did the exact same compromise trip to Trophy Lakes (Charleston). I skied at Trophy and she got to stay in a great hotel in Charleston. Charleston is a fantastic "foodie" city that also has great history. I'm also fortunate to live in the same area as Trent and take regular lessons from him. Very good communicator!

• Industry Professional
Thanks for the love @killer! I would love to have you out @mbabiash, we definitely run a more laid back program, close to the beach and if you are wanting to hang out at the lake we have paddle boards, beach cruisers and a nice hammock on the back lake to chill out in. Email me at brooks@thewilsonbros.com if you have any questions.

• Baller
Would definately check Brooks out. Very good coach and will make your stay fun and enjoyable. Felt like I was just skiing with one of my regular buddies. Multiple sets with the same coach is the way to go , and Brooks will make it happen. Low key and very informative at the same time. Lakes run perp to each other , so wind won't mess your rides up. I'm heading back there for sure !

• Baller

@rawly I was at the Boarding School the same time as you.

My wife asked me if I would be willing to keep her company on a business trip to Orlando in April. Let me see Orlando in April... It's 59 degrees here and the water is in the 50's... OK honey if you really want me to go with you I will. I was really hoping to gets some "brownie points" but when I packed my ski she knew something was up.

When we arrived she wanted to know what I was going to do all day while she was busy. She didn't want me roaming the streets of Orlando. I said I was going to the Boarding School. She said that sounds like a safe place for you to spend the day?

As I was putting my ski on for the first set I asked what the lay out was And Brooks said pull out on the drivers side at both ends and the first buoy is always on the left. So I'm buckling my bindings thinking holy crap if the first buoy is on the left I'm going to have to change everything! As I dropped in the water Brooks said no I'm just messin with you first buoys on the right. After the first pass Brooks said I 'm not going to say anything after that pass I assume that's not how you normally ski. I said ya it pretty much is. I'm sure he was thinking where the hell do I start. Anyway his approach was simple, easy to implement, and totally on the money. I've had the same crappy off side turn for 30 years but he was able to tell me in order to fix that... do this. Worked perfectly.

I spent four days there and progressed each day. The last day Brooks shortened the rope to 35 "just to make sure nothing goofy was going on with your gates" sure enough I turned in narrow and on my back foot. Brooks said remember when I said turn in with your hips over your front foot I said ya but I slept since then so I'm glad you said it again. He only had to tell me not to stand on the ant hills four time before I got it.

Seriously The Boarding School is an awesome site. The lakes ski great, the new Master Craft is amazing and the coaching is really good!!! If you have to go to Orlando to keep your wife happy the Boarding School is a pretty cool place to hang out.

• Baller
Nice skiing with you @tc. Brooks telling ( and convincing ) you that they are a different type of school with buoys located on opposite side of course was classic. Hate to turn this into a Boarding School thread , but it is a definate favorite of many Ballers. Can't wait for The Wilson Brothers clinic to come back to Bakersfield.

• Baller
another resounding Vote for @brooks at the boarding school. Laid Back, well protected water, great boat. i spent 5 days with my buddies skiing with at another busy site. went and skied two sets with brooks and i learned more then i had all week. cant say enough good things about him. next trip to O-town will be going straight to the boarding school. just try and ski with Brooks and not have a huge smile on your face

• Baller
I have had an opportunity to ski with Seth in Charleston. That gives you another laid back option if you are looking outside of Fla. After our first trip to Seth's, I recall one of our regular skiers that did not go pounding the steering wheel of his boat and saying, "damn it, every single one of you came back better skiers. Every damn one of you!"

• Baller

If it's FL, then you need to see Brooks. I've been going to him for years and he has my style figured out and expresses concepts and ideas very well. The site skis awesome and is very protected. It's always fun to see Brooks and KC ski after you. There Prostar pulls great as I usually pb every time I visit.

I recently moved to TX and have been skiing with Trent. It didn't take long for Trent to understand my skiing and what I was trying to do. Hes just as laid back and soft spoken as anyone you will meet. His coaching is precise and efficient. I have learned a lot from him in the few months I've been down there.

• Baller

I know most of the guys mentioned here and you won't go wrong with any of them. Being in close proximity I too have to recommend Trent. His eye and coaching are great. I think the Austin area is great for other activities as well. Water parks, river floating, music scene, massive outlet malls, and only about a hour from San Antonio if you want more history.

Have fun where ever you decide to go!

• Baller
I would highly recommend Friday through Sunday (weekdays are busy) at Cory's in Santa Rosa Beach. Most people don't think of Cory and Slalom - but he is Regina's coach. And, Daniel is top notch, Can't beat SRB for things to do.

• Baller_

I agree with @elr. SRB/Cory are great. Seth, Big Trent, Brooks, Jodi too. The thing I really like about Cory's is the number of three event juniors that train there. Not just old slalom dudes. You can see the future of the sport there.

Wade Cox is pretty relaxed and a lot of fun. Great stories.

Cory Vaughn is about as laid back as you can get and still have a heart beat. Lots of Civil War stuff to see in the vicinity of his site. Great coach, great guy.

But tell me: a What is your definition of laid back? What are you looking for specifically?

Lpskier