Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Whats Your Tow Rig?

ozski

• Baller

Here is mine just to freak out everyone who thinks you need a dually diesel just to tow a ski boat. Here is my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with a 5.7L hemi) towing my other boat, a 36ft coablt that weighs in around 15,000lbs wet. It goes about a mile a year that way and I would never tow it more than 25mph but it has absolutely no issues taking it in or out of the ramp.

I do also have a Ski Nautique 196 that I sometimes tow with my Volvo s80. That handles things with no problem (it does have a 3500lb tow rating).

No need for the biggest truck in the world, these ski boats really don't weigh very much.ln97g7g2fw5w.jpg

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

2016 Cadillac Escalade Platinum. Yes with massage seats up front. I like the 420HP.

It cost as much as a new SN so that is why I have a 2007 SN. The black Escalade looks nice in front of the red/white SN. Nicest ride I’ve ever owned.

@aspski I liked my friends Cayenne Turbo. A hot rod SUV for sure!

• Baller

One of the facts everyone needs to consider when towing trailers above the GCWR of your tow vehicle is that, god forbid your in an accident, adjusters will look for and likely deny responsibility for coverage no matter the cause of the accident. Everyone should look up their weight rating and be aware if they are legal or not. I think comp boats are a pretty well known weight but you can check your actual weight at a truck stop. Some manufacturers of other types of boats really underestimate their weights for some reason. My 34' catamaran weighed 3500lbs more than the manufacturers listed weight.

I had a friend that lost control of a cabin cruiser and overturned when he filled the boat with fuel and water at a gas station before he got to the lake. The rig was okay without the weight of the fuel and water.

• Baller

I pulled my boat to the marina with the new Equinox. It did the job. Would not use it on a long trip. I just need it to launch in the spring, and recover in the fall, and get it to the marina and back when needed. If I towed it weekly/daily then I would have bought a small pickup like a Colorado, or Dakota.

• Baller

Here is a tow vehicle you don't see everyday. @Shell 's Saab 9-4x AWD. Sadly one of only 750 in the states. Same platform and drivetrain as the Caddy SRX but it looks and feels more Euro. 265 HP and rated to tow 3500lbs ---- it pulls our CP just fine.

buuwhgdmffx6.jpg

2016 f250 with a 6.7 Powerstroke to haul my new to me ski centurion barefoot warrior. Definitely overkill but it gets unreal mpg towing it and I barely can tlel it's there.. Got over 18 mpg towing it home across the statedfc1ra02yh25.jpg

• Baller
I tow with a 2500/Duramax (we also have a big travel trailer, 14K dump trailer, flat bed, etc.), but I will say my wife's ML400 is a pretty slick tow vehicle. Last summer I was towing the TT and she was towing the boat to camping, and a car had a blow out in front and slightly ahead of her on a the freeway. The sensors in the ML400 engaged the brakes on one side and shoved her to the shoulder before she reacted and narrowly avoided a collision. It was both shocking and very impressive.

• Baller

@rockdog I thought the registration numbers were creative as well, they are the prior owner’s numbers from Massachusetts where you can request a number. I am registering the boat in Vermont later this week and hope to be able to request a special number.

I would be happy to post more pics of the boat in a 196 or boat thread.

• Baller

@vtjc - awesome, were you just test driving the boat on quinsigamond in Worcester? What lake was the 196 on? I used to ski there a fair amount and never saw that 196.

Also - did the previous owner buy a new boat? If he didn’t I might just have to try and swipe that mass boat reg# number!

• Baller

The prior owner stored and used the boat on Quinsigamond. The boat has a water length cover likely making it hard to see the colors unless it was off the lift and being used. @jmoski I will send you a pm with more details on the 196, to not further jack this thread.

xvxgx545x2hg.jpg

• Baller

@Jmoski, yes the 196 spent several years at Quinsigamond, until @vtjc took her away last week. She belonged to a good friend of mine, who docked it at my house. Great boat. Will miss her. Good luck @vtjc giingldseo9n.jpg

• Baller

ux6b199phs70.jpeg

Finally picked up our brand new 2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4 with the TRD suspension and front/rear sway bars and upgraded dual exhaust from factory. Wow what a truck. Always been a Toyota fan but this is our first one. Gonna be hard getting used to a 6.5’ bed vs an 8’ but we love everything about this truck. Quickest vehicle we ever had, well except for maybe my 67 Bronco but that’s a different story. I’ve always been the type to buy a truck then immediately do tires, rims, leveling/lift kits etc but this truck takes a curve like a sports car so I just can’t bring myself to alter it. Can’t wait to hit the 1000 mile mark to tow with it.

• Baller

@swc5150 I seriously contemplated it but from what I understand the Eaton TRD supercharger that the dealer would sell and install and warranty was discontinued in 2015. Have you heard otherwise? The numbers I’ve seen are phenomenal. The thought of putting one on my 260k mile Chevy 2500 hd 6.0 is a close reality. I can’t screw that’s truck up anymore and the diesel turds really annoy me.

Edit-discontinued for the 5.7 Tundra. Possibly available for other models.

• Baller
@Orlando76 Our dealer will install the Magnuson supercharger on our '17 Tundra 5.7, without voiding the factory warranty, but they have to do the install. They've only had one customer do it, and the service manager said it was just unreal. $7k though.

• Baller
@Orlando76 I would have loved to do that on my 04 Denali...that 6liter is just such a beast. 215,000 and still strong as an ox. Sadly, the body is succumbing to MA winters, so it's almost time to replace her. Now a supercharger on a 6.2liter....

• Baller
@ScottScott I think my current truck had 60 miles. The previous one I hooked up a car trailer to and drove it to Montana and back the first week. I wouldn't worry about it, towing a dd isnt any more load than 4 fat guys in the cab

• Baller

I've been driving a Touareg TDI for the last 6 yrs...it was an awesome combo of economical daily driver/tow vehicle. I got a lot of great use from it but it's time to move on.

Anybody here have a Grand Cherokee with the turbodiesel V6? The experience with the Touareg makes me want to stay with a diesel but I've never had a Jeep product. Thanks for any feedback.