Most Painful Slalom Crashes

webbdawg99

• Baller

Not to take anything away from the guys that have sustained actual injuries from skiing, but a slalom ski across the shin hurts more than any other crash I've experienced. My shins are scarred up from these collisions. It usually happens when I'm forcing a turn on my offside, release, and WHACK! 4 ball at 38 last night for instance.....

mqn09x218krw.jpg

• Baller

@Wish that is funny. @webbdawg99 possibly invest in some shin guards?

@webbdawg99 I'm still confused about the coke looking beer can @fizer gave me last night. My eyes were saying coke and my taste buds were saying I think this is bud light. I proceed to contemplate the meaning of life on the way home.

• Baller
My neighbor and I were skiing and he was running his 28 off opener, got into a lean lock from 2-3, went down hard and skipped into ankle deep water. He gets back in the boat to put his yard sale back on, gloves ski, etc. and then he asks, "was that my third or fourth pass?" He couldn't have been more serious, so I respond "hey buddy that was your opener, you ok?" He says "yeah I'm fine, just give me a ride down to the end of the lake". We get to the end and he then says "So that was my fourth pass, how did my other three go, what happened?" At this point several minutes have gone by and he's still totally punch drunk. I aborted his next pass and brought the poor bastard home. Skiing can hurt

• Baller

fractured my skull on an offside wake crossing back when I was first getting into skiing the course. Back of my ski, still on both feet, cracked my head just behind my right ear. Had to be Airlifted from Illinois / Indiana border to Indianapolis. (6) days in intensive care. Couldn't see for (2) weeks. Once my vision came back online I was EXTREMELY dizzy. During recovery I was very much like the a scene from 50 first dates. NO short term memory. All self pay too... no insurance and was self employed. Oh life lessons learned!

All better now except for that annoying twitch and the constant smell of pepper... (joking)

That was about 9 years ago. Gave that ski away BTW.

• Baller
Funny story about that brew @Tyler_R. My in-laws were visiting us one weekend. My father in law went into the fridge to grab a drink. After surveying the options, he decided a Coca-Cola would do. Boy was he surprised when he took his first sip and realized he was drinking a beer!

• Baller

@webbdawg99 - Just out of curiosity, is that your rear leg, and are you wearing hard shells with separate releases? I have done that multiple times on a tip stuff on my offside, and it is the heel of my front Reflex that does the damage.

Sorry to hijack. Back to the beer discussion :p

• Baller

@webbdawg99

I just had the same injury a week and a half ago. My version of it took place at 30mph and 22off at 4 ball. (1st set of the day)

Since it took longer for the ski to hit me, it had more time to rotate, and the ski tip bashed me on my right knee. My knee was ringing, like your head does when you crack it. So, I rubbed it. Felt fine, but I had Kevlar gloves on, so as the boat came back I picked my knee up and saw the gaping hole my ski had created.

I must have cut some nerves, as there was very little pain. Just a general numbness that indicated something bad had happened.

End of the story is... Swelling, Ice, Pain, and butterfly bandages. No skiing for a week, the selling of my skis so I can pick up a less advanced ski that actually matches my skill level, and a new outlook on my potential progress.

Now I have an HO Superlite TX that compliments me well. I am 6 balls up and I have less fatigue after each set.

End of story? For me , it was to get on the ski that matches my actual ability. Not what I thought was my ability.

I'm so totally jealous of your 34mph and 38off. You should be proud of your scars!!!!!!!

I feel your pain, the exact same thing happened a few hours ago. We were out free skiing on some glass, this is my back foot. I got back on my ski, lost the rope and while riding it down my back foot came out of my rtp and slammed into the ski. Most painful to date for sure. kv2uvkw2x5ae.jpg

• Baller
Clipped a gate ball and went over the front a few years back. Lost all feeling in my right arm and shoulder via a stinger, blew out an eardrum, and partially tore my MCL. Don't know what was worse, the pain from the impact or freakin' out because I thought I broke my arm. In the end, the pain and stinger was temporary, the partially torn MCL ended my season.

• Baller
Skiing for my first time on a Reflex System. Didn't tighten the springs tight enough, (I'm a real estate broker not an engineer!) Came around 5 ball aimed for 6 ball (Hail Mary Style) and the binding released prematurely......skipping like the proverbial rock.... tumbles on the way to a too close beach. Came to sitting in approximately 1 inch of water facing out to the 6 ball and the ski laying upright beside me. How did I get here?!?! Luckily no lasting injuries other than some equilibrium issues short term and my pride injured from some of the hilarious comments from the tow boat crew. Certainly no match for the earlier post from dstone124....one of my ski partners.....I always wondered why he was a bit off!!!

about 20 yrs ago both summers between my Freshman and Sophomore years in collage I cracked my ribs on the boat wake. I had one of those death grips on the handle and was determined to pull it out leaning enough I caught the wake with my body. I still think I could of made it.

• Baller
In my opinion this type of injury mostly happens on mechanical release systems. Some times when the release opens you crash towards the ski and hit your shin. On rubber boots when you release usually you move away from the ski. I feel safer on the mechanical release systems despite the few cuts on my shins. It is not very often.

• Baller
@skialex- I've got Reflex bindings and I was getting the same looking injury as @webbdawg99. At first I was confused and thought I was hitting the release mechanism. After a few more crashes, all OTF, I figured out it was the plastic block at the back of the front boot hitting me in the shin. I ended up wearing a shin guard for a season that definitely saved me from a few more good nicks.

• Baller
@skinut I agree that is not that you hit the Silvretta release, it happens by hitting the heel block of your boot, or the toe block, the edge of the ski, maybe the tip. Sometimes you cut the shin of the front foot. Trust me I have a friend who has a great number of cuts on both shins. Shin guards is a good advice!