All new 2016 Vapor

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Finally got out on the Vapor, and the first time on the water for the year. My wife went first, and never looked better! I couldn't believe how stable, relaxed and comfortable she looked. When I got her in the boat, she raved on and on about it. Definitely a winner in her book. My turn at bat, and wow! Unreal ski! Smooth, effortless and stable. Radar knocked it out of the park!

• Baller
@OB1 Great info. Thanks. I believe the correct grip really helps consistency into and out of the off side. Not sure if you all know this but I was reverse grip until somewhere near the 2000 season. Jason Paredes told me to switch to help my off side so I did and have never looked back. It will feel weird for some sets due to muscle development of a down or up grip (picture doing bicep curls with palm down then going palm up). Hang in there.

• Baller

My wife and I have been doing some ski testing over the past couple of weeks. Both of us like the Vapor. It's a very easy ski to hop on a feel comfortable. Neither one of us is fully committed as yet, but as Darwin's tournament is less than 2 weeks away we are about to have to make some sort of decision!

• Baller
@Glock You and me both, but this ski is worth it. It's hard to drop this kind of money, when the changes or improvements are marginal, but this is not the case here. @skidawg may be able to help soften the blow to wallet too.

• Baller

Glock,

I have to say this is the first Radar I have felt comfortable on. I previously tried the RS-1 and the Vapor and neither worked for me. Skidawg was nice enough to break his hand and not need his '16 Vapor for a few weeks so I gave it a try.

Honestly, I didn't expect to like it, but after 2 passes my wife said "You pretty good on that". I had to agree that it felt fairly comfortable right away. I'm not fully committed as yet, but I could definitely ride it. It is worth a demo ride if you get a chance.

• Baller
Realize I am 100% a beginner in the course still. Working on stack etc. I've literally (quite embarrassingly) only run 3 @ 15 off in the mini course. First set on the 2016 Alloy Vapor and I dang near had my tip around 4 ball PLUS it's early in the season. I expect good things from this ski!

• Baller
Had a spectacular spring in cold water with this ski. As temps have come up to near 80F I'm noticing two things: 1) Falling at 2 ball a lot (RFF) and 1/3/5 seem almost violent and I'm breaking hard out of them. Got into 2 lean locks this morning out of 1 that were very scary. Binding is at 29.5, I'm skiing 22 and 28 @ 34mph any ideas to mellow this bad boy out? 67" and I'm 180. I'm definitely not always balanced on the ski, I just don't want to get hurt because of that!

• Baller
One of the amazing aspects of this ski is its ability to be set up in many different binding and fin locations. This ability makes it very easy to set the ski up for all the differing skier techniques out there. Thanks for the kind words @OB1

• Baller
Agreed on how tunable yet user friendly this ski is. Absolutely awesome. After setting up some new numbers from Chris last night I skied lights-out this morning, 3x back to back 28s, did not even miss a buoy for the first 5 passes until I got into -32. And, the thing is it didn't feel dramatically different underfoot. Same compliant, sweet ride but more buoys.

One set tonight 22 28 32 back to back 35's and had my first look at 38 for the year. Amazing 1 and 2 ball unfortunately I under pulled going to 3 and ran over the bouy. I can say this after feeling what I felt at 38 that pass is going to drop this yr! Still cannot get over how awesome my offside is turning!

• Baller

@markchilcutt lots of hype about this 2016 ski I looked back on the threads about the 2014 and noticed your skiing has been amazing on the last two skis. I tried the 2015 last year and never could get it to work for me and want back on the 2014. Still on it this year and it works great for me. I am dying to get on the 16 but im a little gun shy. Are the 14, and the 16 much different ? I see some completely different fin settings from

the 14 to the 16

• Baller
@jimski dont be gun shy I could not get on with 14 swapped to the T2 last year and ran a new pb on that ski 4@32 swapped back to Radar this and already ran 32 more times than ever before Not great skiing compared to most guys on here but completely remotivated me great ski great help from all at Radar PULL THE TRIGGER

@jimski yes very different skis. If I had to sum it up the 16 is way easier and more forgiving on my body (not as much work for me). My offside turn has never ever been so good and the cross course speed is faster. I don't feel as much tip rise on the 16 compared to the 14. Ski just feels very connected to the water. I always say demo it if possible. If your finding success on your 14 don't hesitate to buy the 16 if you cant get a demo. Keep us posted.

• Baller
Got a 66" for my 160lbs... , set the ski up to stock fin with the bindings ahead on notch. The ski is a rocket ship, super fast. I experienced an off side turn like never before......I feel my onside will be fine after a few more passes.... I have the radar bindings with radar gloves, the boca setup makes skiing a complete dream....no worries about glove velcro issues or bindings coming lose. The boca addition is epic! After my third time on the ski, I am thoroughly loving it!

• Baller

Well I've been through a roller coaster in regards to course skiing lately. Two weeks ago skied the in the course for the first time since last August (medical issues) and kept the speed at 32mph to work on timing. Ski is the 69.5 and I set it up with the factory numbers which I assume are the Chris Rossi numbers often spoke of. Ran -22 and -28 with mostly made passes. The next day sped back up to -34 and did some back to back to back to...you get the idea at -22 and made a couple -28. Was really looking forward to the year at that point, then we lost our ski site. We have since regained its use but only for a two hour window on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Big bummer. Ok more than a big bummer, as I'm really devastated about it. But better than nothing.

Skied Thursday morning and didn't miss a -22 or -28 and had a couple of "counting the pass before it's made" at -32 with scores of 4 and 5. Now, for me, the consistency is like I've never experienced before. I've heard the phrase "every pass is like a snowflake" and

that has been me over the years...especially the last several years. My all time personal best is 2 @ -35 several years ago, so to be so close to that with very little course time in essentially the last year is blowing me away. I've been on the same 2008 Senate-C for the last six (I think) years.

I'm not good at describing my impressions with the profound technical explanations that some of you have offered. I will simply say my impressions are more speed with less effort, and it absolutely rewards correct body position which will hopefully build the muscle memory to repeat it more consistently. I'm already seeing that. The other thing that stands out is the offside turn is actually better for me right now. Perhaps I just haven't figured out the onside turn yet, but I can "make up time" on the offside which is a new concept to me.

• Baller

Okay, this is going to be long. I apologize in advance.

After 2 seasons on the same skis my wife and I started to search for a new ride about a month ago. Thanks to Skidawg for breaking his hand and loaning me his ski to try, as well as the injured Dumbass, MAD11, and OB1 we were fortunate to be able to try a couple of 2016 sticks in different sizes. (Just FYI my wife is a mid 35 skier on a good day. I run 38 a lot and occasionally run 39) Both of us had crappy 2015 seasons with her only running 32 twice in tournament and me only running 39 once. We are both ready to have a better summer.

There were certain things I was looking for and the "All New 2016 Vapor" came out the winner. I really wanted a bigger ski than I was on that would be more forgiving yet still turn. I also wanted a ski that felt faster (as in less effort) across course. For me to ever run 39 consistently I have to get my shoulder out of the boat and I believe a "fast" ski will help me do that and allow me to be cleaner and more efficient. Besides that, my now M4 age body needs a break.

Now I will tell you that I had no expectations for the Vapor when I first rode it. I have known Eddie and Chris at Radar longer than I really want to admit and have tried to ride their stuff in the past. I owned a MPD, Strada, and a RS1 but never stayed on one longer than a few weeks. Not bad skis, but I just couldn't make them really work for me. I jumped on the Vapor and free skied a pass or two then ran a couple of 32s. My wife said "Ya know, that doesn't look too bad". Kind of what I though myself.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and the Cottonwood record is coming up. I THOUGHT I liked the Vapor, but until you get to a tournament you don't really know for sure. We take about 6 months totally off from skiing in the Winter, so I'm pretty jittery on the water those first few tournament rides of the season as I just don't have much volume of skiing under my belt yet. I'm glad to tell you that the good feelings on the Vapor were well founded.

First round the ski got me through a nervous 38 and to 2@39. Second round was a bit more confident and a cleaner 38 and 2@39. Rounds 3 and 4 were a bit of a detour as I rode my wife's Vapor just to check it out. 5@38, a fin tweak and 1.5@39 4th round. Rounds 5 and 6 I was back on mine and decided to quit feeling out the ski and just try and work on me. 5 was better with a 3.5@39 that should have been more. Round 6 was the cap on a great weekend. 2@41 with 39 being pretty solid and a surprisingly good 1 ball that I wasn't ready for at 41.

I'm not telling scores to try and sound impressive. As long as I've been at this I constantly wonder why I don't ski better than I do. The reason is to let you know the ski passed my "test" for the weekend and is the real deal! I was very jittery first round. The Vapor let me ski that way and didn't put me in the water. I jumped on my wife's, messed with the fin, and could still run the same buoys. I decided to forget the ski, try to do some things right, and the ski rewarded me with the best score I've put up in 18 months! I'm not really sure what else you can ask for.

If anyone is considering giving the Vapor a try I strongly suggest you go with it. The ski just flat works. It's "fast", turns well, transitions well, and is forgiving. Having Rossi on the forum to hit up for set up questions is also priceless. I sent him a pm describing what I was feeling on the water after my first few sets. The numbers he gave me are what I rode this weekend and feel spot on. Not only that but he gave me options for other set ups to try, explained what they would do, and checked back with me to see how it was going. Great support from the gang at Radar.

After having a conversation with my wife this spring about taking the summer off, I am now fired up. And no... Skidawg is not getting his ski back!