Opening pass opinions

Waternut

• Baller

Now that my season is pretty much over, I'm now wondering if my opening pass is hurting me or not. I always figure that my opening pass should be easy and I should be able to run it pretty much every time. I run 34mph and start at 22off but can run deep into 35off on a good day. Here's the kicker though...I feel like 22off is so different from the rest of the passes that it may be hurting me. Some days it takes me 3-4 tries to get through 22off but then 28 ad 32off come super easy.

Starting at 34mph and 28off is usually a little too much for me. Should I stick to 22off as my opener or should I maybe consider a 32mph 28off opener? Besides the obvious of I need more lessons, any thoughts?

• Baller

I'm 36mph but my line progression is identical.

If 22 is causing problems you need to be careful that you are focused from the first time you pull out, easy to not be in hand mode on the first pass.

Second thought is that I've skied 22@34 and the wake kinda sucks... A lot. It just isn't all that much fun and because of the bump you get a strange feel to the pass that you don't have at 36. 28@34 may be the better opener if you can have your mindset from the starting dock, it will become second nature once you've done it for a few sets.

• Administrators
If your opening pass is super easy and you do not ski it like your hardest- pass drop it. My hard pass is 38 and @skidawg told me once that 28 and 38 have nothing in common so I dropped it. Going off at 32 took a lot of getting used to (and some crazy looks from other skiers) but I think it was the right move.

• Baller

I used to feel the same as you. I ski at 34mph, start at 22' off and recently made it to 5@35' off. I used to ski 22' off quite poorly and just use it as a warm up to 28' and 32' off which are much more fun.

That was until I spent 4 days skiing with Arturo Nelson. In his Yoga-like way (or maybe it's more of a Mr. Miyagi) had had me run multiple 22's until I started crossing the wake properly. Then we moved on to 28. While I was there I had my second water ski epiphany in my 8 year career and finally started running 32' off consistently and without the usual struggle, then set a new PB of 5@35' off. Thank you, Arturo

I now think that running a solid 22' off will help me run a better 35' off.

• Baller_

I also start at 22' off and I ski it aggressively. It's not unusual for me to be 3 or 4 feet outside of ball one and way wide/early on the others. I would bet that allows for some better stack against the wake and is not as jarring. I agree with @Horton that, if that pass is not really waking you up enough to put some effort into it, then move on to one you can run consistently and aggressively.

I was starting at 22 off/32 mph for the last couple of years to work my form, but it wasn't waking me up enough off the dock. So, I went back to 22/34. I would like to go to 28 some day. I would be plenty awake for sure on that one, just about the same as when I choose 22/36 as a starter in practice.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I would argue for cleaning up your 34/22 pass and making it as good as your 28 off pass. I think those fundamentals carry through. I also like having my hardest pass be my 4th pass so I get some water and warm up time.

I can see running 32/28 as an option also though. In the spring when I am still rounding into shape I do run 32/22 at times.

• Administrators

This is really not a black and white thing. I firmly believe that if you want the highest score possible you need to run as many smooth passes as possible. The trade off here is that if your opener is so easy or so different from your hardest pass you are practicing something that does not build skills.

Perhaps you just need the warm up. Coming back from Bicep surgery I will not go straight out at 32 off : )

• Baller
I do agree that it isn't black and white. I also feel like -35 is a substantially different beast than all the line lengths before it including -32. I don't feel like 22, 28 and 32 are radically different than each other except that each shorter line length requires your fundamentals to be better. When I get to -35 it seems that everything changes a lot and I require some different concepts that I don't need to run -32 (and I don't have mastered). Those concepts would probably make -32 a lot easier but I don't know that yet.

• Baller
When I skied 36 mph most often I was a mid-35 off guy. I didn't like 22 for the same reasons as you so my opener was 34 mph 28 off, then to 36 mph 28 off and down the line. Not sure if that works dropping to 32 mph might just seem too slow but try it and see what you think at 32 mph 28 off.

• Baller
32mph and even 36mph don't feel substantially different than 34mph for me. At 32mph, I feel a little earlier and the hook up is a little kinder...36mph just feels a little later and quicker at hookup. I may try 32mph and 28off next season or if I get a wild hair in the near future when it's cold. I guess worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I go back to what I was doing with 22off.

• Baller
I once saw or read @twhisper say that your 4th pass should be your hardest run-able pass. First three are for warm ups and reinforcing good things. He added other comments, but that part of his message is what stuck with me.

• Baller
When a skier's hardest pass is at 39 off or higher, then going out at 32 off makes sense. When the skier's hardest pass is below 38, then it get's tricky to pick your opener and the four-pass rule isn't the best rule of thumb. Without 4 passes, it really lowers your buoys per $ for tournament entry fees, tho. Not black and white decision for sure.

• Baller

There are 2-3 of us in the same boat where we get into 35 off the dock and usually run a few 35's every weekend. Just as there are probably reasons to start at 28 there is just as many to

keep the 22. At our lake by the time one boat and skier comes in and another goes out it may only be a few minutes but the lake has glassed off like a mirror which is sometimes more difficult than skiing with a little ripple like you would in a tournament. Also because of wind conditions you may want to time it so that you end up with a head wind 35. We don't get much breeze at our lakes, but normally if you go off at 22 you will get a 2-3 mile headwind on the 35 attempt. Plus if you ski tournaments you may want a easy pass to get used to the conditions. I just treat the 22 as a warmup and not over-ski it. Everytime I start at 28 and may run a ragged one I think why nor just stick to the 22. Ronnie Barton also says your fourth pass should be your hardest pass.

• Baller
I'm a M5 skier near the upper end. I have always gone out at -22/34 mph in all rounds during a tournament. Lately I have been doing that just in the first round as a warm up and skipping it for the second and 3rd rounds. Seems to work for me. Although wind conditions may dictate whether or not what length I start at in any given round.

• Baller

Start at 28. I think yo only need a pass or two to get "warmed" up. When you ski at a tournament, there is quite a bit you can do on land to get "warmed" up, like jogging, stretching, pulling on the rope hitched to a tree or trailer hitch, etc... You should already have your mental game on mode when you hit the water.

For practice, start first rounds at 28, then on the second round, start at 32.

If wind is an issue at a tournament, start at 28 off 32mph or 32 off.

We had a skier in the MWest that was capable of getting deep into 38 off, and he started at 15 off 32mph. I hated skiing behind him! Took forever for his round.

• Baller
Try starting at 28 off and 32 mph for your opener. When I am in a tournament and want to get the headwind right for my hardest pass that is what I do. I hate 22 off for all of the reasons mentioned. Just hold on longer with two hands because its easy to get slow and deep at the buoy and be very patient.

• Members
Commentary for Horton here. I have had bicept issues on and off for a dozen years. When my arms aren't fully warmed up, it does me good to warm up at 28. Almost every time my bicept has acted up its because I went off cold at 32. A few pull-ups or light dumbell curls first and 32 off the dock is fine, but regardless of how you do it, make sure you you arms are warmed up before shortening the rope.

• Baller
If you are not a tournament skier, don't even worry about 22 off. Start at 28 and take two passes there before shortening to 32. That gives you 3 passes before your hardest pass. I used to start with a cheater loop (25 off) because that was enough to get the "whip" feeling, much more like 28 than 22. Once I started running 35 I dropped the cheater loop.

• Baller
Leon, when I was skiing at 36mph, I started at 28 off 34, and if you do it in practice every time, it isn't a big deal. I knew what to expect with the added speed. The first pass was just to wake up and get ready to work.

• Baller

One thing I forgot to mention is do not dwell on the 22 pass. Just use it as a warmup only and only take one pass at 22 and move on. Working on 22 will not help your shorter line lengths, but

running it as an opener may help you if you need to go out because of the conditions. You can't get lazy on the 22 pass or end up 10 feet outside the balls or you will get behind. Use the 22 pass to ski to the ball line early and start your turn.

• Baller

Lots of 39 off skiers run an opener at 28. I have a philosophy that you ought to be out there skiing at least 4 passes per tournament set on an average day. Maybe you get into your 5th pass on a great day. No sense in starting short and never falling into a groove. See a few guys go out at 32 and only run a ball or two at 38. Seems like a waste of a round to me.

I would stick with the 22 and make it your easiest pass!

• Baller
I think that just talking hard and easy passes, you want to have that opener dialed. You want that opener so dialed you can run it in whitecaps and 20+ mph gusts. I've flown to Australia and watched good skiers blow it on their opener. You don't want to be that guy. I think that by your third pass, that should be your hardest pass.. the one your not running. So I have 2 different openers as the season progresses. In the spring, I start a pass slower than I do in August. I hear you and totally understand about 2 different styles, and if that easy opener you don't ski the same way as your hard pass, than yeah.. its probably not helping you. If your not rock solid on that next pass up though, I'd rather have two styles, than a blown opener.

• Baller

When tournaments aren't the primary focus, drop -22 in favor of two "warm-up" passes at 28, then move up the rope. Striving for technically perfect 28s will do more for your technique at -32 and -35 than anything -22 has to offer.

But if you plan on skiing in tournaments, then you have to absolutely own 22 off because there will be wind days that will require starting at -22 in order to set you up for your best wind direction at -35.