I'm going to try 12m/35off this weekend.

Ryota

• Baller

Thank you so much for all of your comments for my skiing!

I could run 13m@55k for the first time last week.

I am going to try 12m for the first time this weekend.

Are there differences between 13m and 12m?

and any tips to run 12m ??

• Baller
I will add the only time I ran 12M was down at Travers when Jack told me to change my work zone on my gate. He wanted me working harder earlier with maximum effort into the first wake. He said I was getting on the pull a little late and still accelerating after the second wake. I ran a bunch of 5s that summer and one full pass the set after Jack coached me then we ran out of summer up north and I have been hurt since then.

• Supporting Member

There's no doubt that 12m is a very different hurdle. Many people experience a long period where they get no further than 2 ball.

However, your base form and athleticism appear way above average to me, so I have a lot of confidence you will get onto it before TOO long.

If there's one piece of advice that can make 12m possible, it's that "height" thing again. Just like you learned to get higher up on the boat at the start of 13m, you now need to target getting high up like that at every buoy. That's what will create the time and space to actually execute a turn. Otherwise, it will feel like the rope just plain isn't long enough.

Another note: Don't be too alarmed by the change in visuals. At first things will look very wrong like you are running insanely late at all times and you are approaching the buoy too narrow. Try your best to ignore that and just focus on getting up higher on the boat everywhere. Then just trust it and make the turn. Easier said than done!

• Baller

Don't get it into your mind it's harder and/or that you need to do more. Don't overthink it to start, just go ski it. If your 32 is solid you will be good to halfway down 35 at least. Don't do more, just do what you do as clean and strong as possible.

Don't pull longer, if anything shorter

Don't rush the turn or turn harder, but do wait longer after the turn to go

Be ready for higher intensity, particularly in the pull. Don't pull longer or "harder", but own what is there and hold your stack

Smile as you go through the gates

• Baller

I pull out a little later and turn in a little earlier at the gates as the line shortens to 35 and beyond, but everyone starts a little differently.

In addition to a good start, the trick for me when I run a clean 35 (occasionally, not often), is better handle control. Really focus on staying connected well after the edge change, handle low and elbows tight. Don't rush the reach. This will help you keep your outbound direction and prevent the dreaded slack caused by skiing at the buoy.

• Baller
What @Than_Bogan said about vision, what @BRY said about don't over do it, and what @Marco said about handle control. What I would add to the handle control is do not release your hand from the handle until the last possible moment. It will seam like you are on the handle too long, but that is really just perception. This will keep your speed up through the turn which is what you need to run the shorter lines.

• Baller

I ran my first and only 35 late this season. It felt so much like 32' that I thought my boat crew forgot to shorten the rope after 32' but it was truly on the "blue". That pass was just an awesome feeling but it came after numerous attempts (~50) of 1, 2 and sometimes 3 buoys at 35'.

For me and watching video to confirm - my biggest change from 32' was attacking the 1st wake harder so I can release/transition sooner. Handle control has been mentioned and it's probably my biggest cause for failure at 35'. I often get separation from the handle off the 2nd wake which I know affects my outbound width and body position in the pre-turn. When I ride the handle out with my elbows tucked, not rush my turn or overturn - that's when I ran the pass. I'm a RFF so the all important start was the key (up on the boat in the glide for the gates, attack aggressively after the ski finishes the turn-in, transition closer to the 2nd wake than 32', keep elbows tucked, ride the handle out... and be patient)! Good luck - tasting 38' for the first time is such an awesome feeling!

• Baller

i think the most significant difference between 32 off and 35 off is the sight picture approaching the ball. 35 off is the first shortening where you are unlikely to have your line of sight cross over the buoy line. if you *do* get your eyes / head out side the buoy line you probably separated too early and will be going too slow when you get to the ball.

just my opinion so don't shoot the messenger.