Hands !!

jetpilotg4

• Baller
What does everybody use to protect their hands from calluses tearing ? Or just general up keep ? The number of sets I can ski each week is usually limited to how my hands feel, any suggestions on reducing the wear and tear on the hands ? I prefer a open finger Kevlar glove , and daily sanding of calluses followed with lotion .

• Baller
@jetpilotg4 You will get many, many, opinions as to what to do for your hands. So, I will "throw" mine out there. Check the thread "C's Skis - Simple glove modification to reduce/prevent sore hands". Since I posted that thread, I have modified a few more pairs of gloves for friends. The response has been totally positive. One example, relevant to yourself, is a friend of mine who spent two days running the course and then had to take the next week off to let their hands heal. I gave her a pair of the modified gloves and she hasn't had a problem since. The side benefit is that once you start using the gloves you don't develop the calluses in the first place.

• Baller_
Radar Vice gloves..same as the old Clinchers or the ProLocks but better built and more comfy. Fit is a huge factor. New and dry they should be very hard to get on. Almost like you need a bigger size but can still get them on. Over time most of not all gloves with stretch and fit nicely. Buy a pair that slips on with easy and they will be loose and stretched out where they can cause more problems.

• Baller

I thought we were talking about hand tricks vs toe tricks. I use garden gloves for my hand pass to protect them and not scratch my back on those wrap ins.

My Goode slalom vest has built in dowel gloves. Protects your hands because the Goode setup does all the work for you...

Eric

• Administrators
Masterline Masters Curves are the best thing I have ever found in terms of a standard glove. There are a lot of pretty darn good gloves out there but if I am going to ski a lot and know my hands are going to hurt and can use any glove it is the Masterline Masters Curves

• Baller
I resort to finger width strips of duct tape from first joint below fingertip down to about and inch or so below the base of my palm. I then wrap a piece of duct tape around my wrist covering the ends of the strips on the palm end. On the fingertip end, I have to wrap a small, thin strip of duct tape around every finger. This works well but is a pain in the butt (and gets me harassed quite frequently). I'm really considering either new gloves or Kevlar liners...OR BOTH. My downfall is thinking I can ski a set before I tape. NOPE. Once that skin is loose, it's going to come off. Honestly I haven't tried any other options besides tape but it is time to find another option.

• Baller

I asked Chet about this a few years ago due to I noticed Noah and Chet never seemed to have hand issues. Chet said to use as thin a glove as possible. At that time Pro gear was the thinnest I found. Then I went to Masterline weekenders (cheap but thin glove) Once I could no longer get weekenders I went to Radar Theory gloves. They are very cheap thin glove with a great grip and usually last me about two months skiing 5 sets a week. I think Chet uses the Miami Nautique gloves which are very thin. Since I have gone to the thin glove my hands stay in much better shape even when I ski at Chets in the Florida warm water.

oldmanskier

• Baller
I may only ski 2 or 3 times a week but when I bought a pair of Radar - Boa Gloves I found my callouses were no longer a issue. What I found was callouses for me were coming from the gloves moving around and bunching up between my hand and handle. After a run if I feel my hands hurt a little I just turn the nob on the back of the glove to make them tighter. I also switched to a larger diameter handle that was before I bought the Boa gloves the handle alone helped a little.

• Baller
+1 on rotating handle sizes, and filing callouses periodically so they don't break open. I have a small (one inch), medium, and large handle. I rotate between medium and large handle diameters for practice and I use the one incher for tournaments - really helps with the hands.

• Baller

For me the best fitting glove is HO 41tail. I was tired of the velcro coming loose so went with Radar Boa gloves recently and they are working out well also. I use liners under them. Ultra liners. I use the tightest glove I can put on. Med. liners and large gloves. I also use O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream every day before I go to bed. I haven't had to sand or trim blisters in years. I buy the hand cream at Lowes.

I had problems with D3 enzo and masterline gloves because they were bunching up at the base of my had and pinching the skin there. I think both were good quality gloves your just have to find the ones that fit you hand the best.

Kevlar liners .........we use these for 10+ years and problem solved....even on training camp (3-4 sessions a day 6-8 passes/session for 3 days)... nothing.

But out of liners: ductape works as well.... just a pain to get it off :'(

• Baller

@gregy , I just checked their website. All they have listed are 5 styles of HO gloves. Did u order online?

@rodltg2 , Skiing at Ski Texas. @Skihard says the lakes are at a good level and level can be drained a bit if needed. Plan to be on the water Thursday night!

@JetPilotSkiguy, for me, the blue accurate's, with the double padded amara palms are the best gloves

That I have tried. I like them so much, that I recently bought 4 pairs through Bart's. I never get calluses with them. A couple weeks ago I grabbed two lefts before I headed to the ski lake, so I had to use my ski buddies right. I think it was a Kevlar type. I was'nt used to the roughness, and it started to almost instantly hurt my hands. Could not Waite to get back to the accurate. Get the smallest size that you can get on your hands. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Administrators

My rule for 30 years has been. Bigger diameter handle is easier on you hands but harder on forearms. Smaller diameter is harder on hands but easier on forearms.

I have stuck with a 1.00 handle for so many years that I can only assume my old rule is valid.

• Baller
Real world experience from Trent's clinic at Ski Texas this weekend. We arrived Thursday late afternoon and I had the chance to ski a set that night. Remember, this is the 2nd set I have skied all year. I taped as always but specifically remembered @Razorskier1 's mention of holding the handle in your fingers instead of in your palms. Thinking back, what I've always felt is the handle pulling from my palm, rubbing across my callouses and then settling at the base of my fingers before I was even up. So, I started with the handle at the base of my fingers (above my callouses). After the run, NO SIGNS of wear or tearing/rubbing on my callouses. In the past, even with tape, I could still feel some wear. This saved me considerable time in getting ready for the run. I continued to put just one patch of tape across my callouses because I didn't want to take the chance on missing a teaching session with Trent. But, my next set will be COMMANDO. The only wear I had at all was a tiny bit of rub on my middle finger, handle side, just below the knuckle on the outside by my ring finger. But, it was gone by the next day. If you are having this problem, I strongly recommend you try starting with the handle at the base of your fingers instead of in your hands. Thanks @Razorskier1

• Baller
@gt2003 -- glad it worked! I got that tip from a pro once. Of course, I was always afraid that holding the handle out in my fingers I wouldn't have enough grip. That is totally false. You have great grip. Furthermore, what you describe as having the handle slide through the palm, across the callouses and into your fingers is a problem for another reason -- you don't connect to line as well. During the time the handle is sliding that inch through your hand, you aren't connected to the boat. If instead you hold the handle in the fingers, you have immediate connection. Hope you have a great season!

• Baller

@gsm_peter we keep a cooler full of HOT, like nearly unbearably hot, water in the boat with a cup. Before you put your gloves on, fill them with the hot water. Pour some in your bindings too. When you jump in the lake, keep your hands above water until it's go-time and the rope is tight. When you drop between passes, hold your hands above the water again.

Wear a USCG-approved Neo vest when skiing in the super cold water.

We do this and our hands are usually good for several passes provided the air isn't also freezing.

• Baller

Just a quick f/u, skied 2 sets yesterday, no tape, held handle in fingers on start. No wear and tear on hands, no blisters etc. I am fairly new to this so don't ski nearly as hard as some of you. I wear an older pair of HO Empires and will keep them until they actually do wear out. Take @Razorskier1 's advice if you are ripping off callouses. It's an easy solution!

• Baller
The inside-out gloves are nice but it turns out they're not a magic bullet against blistering and torn callouses. Yeah yeah, grip with fingers... Never feel confident that way, and on holeshots, I always feel like I'm going to launch the handle into the boat.