PARADISE LOST: FlowPointTV S3 E1

Horton

• Baller

That's the best representation of the speed, power and excitement of skiing I've ever seen. Huge props to @MarcusBrown.

But I just want to push back a bit on the idea that it's mostly skiing's fault we aren't on TV anymore. Could we present a better show? Absolutely. But the biggest reason we aren't on TV anymore is that ESPN no longer needs inexpensive programming like it did in the 80s and early 90s. It now has enough money to secure the broadcast rights to the biggest sporting events in the world (Monday Night Football, NBA Finals, etc.), pushing out sports like skiing, beach volleyball and arm wrestling.

All is not rosy in the sport, but I think it is self defeating to paint a picture bleaker than it is. Not saying Marcus is the only one doing this, it's a trap we all fall into sometimes. Marcus, more than anyone else, is trying to do something about it.

• Baller

That's right. In fact you can buy a 22-minute show on Outside for roughly $10,000. That doesn't include production costs.

The difference is that before we didn't have to pay, or were possibly even paid to be on TV, now we have to pay to play. The media landscape has changed on us.

• Supporting Member

To be honest, I usually don't really "get" FlowPoint TV.*

But this episode really drew me in and 9 minutes seemed to pass in a heartbeat. It's such a powerful reminder that with a skilled edit, competitive waterski events could be crazy-exciting and very compelling TV broadcasts.

*This may be a good thing. Old Geeks probably aren't really the target audience. I love Marcus Brown, and he'd for sure be on my short list of guys to "get a beer" with (except for the part where I don't actually drink beer, but you get the idea). I'm just too old-at-heart for his video style most of the time, though.

• Baller

WOW! Don't know about anyone else but I think they would echo this sentiment - Makes me want to show all my work buddies this video before a meeting and say "this is what I attempt to do!"

It also makes me want to invite kids over so they too can enjoy the magic of the LAKELIFE/WaterskiLife with my kids.

@MarcusBrown! great work. I am challenged this year to make many tournaments. Probably only get to ski 2 or three and the first is a few weeks from now, but this sure made me miss the competition and the camaraderie found at tournaments. Thanks for your hard work to showcase these great sports!

• Administrators
@matthewbrown i heard his brother kicked his ass so bad at ping-pong that he was ashamed ever show his face the lake again so he had to quit skiing.

• Baller
Ping pong is the rock, paper, scissors at our house, capable of ending any squabble or determining who has ownership of the next honey-do. Count me in on the Big Dawg Pong World Tour. Thx for the info on Marcus @Matthewbrown; was always curious; I trained with Jenny for a few years and never wanted to broach the subject