Help a noob out!

NewPassion

• Baller

Hello ballers! I was introduced to waterski in August this year after a friend of mine asked me to accompany him to a waterski club in Toronto suburbs. Long story short, I tried it and fell in love!

I graduated from two skies to one in 3 sessions and soon after I learned to get up on one ski. I haven't done the course (by the way season ended here in Canada) but when I skied, I cut through the waves back and fort and pretended that I am going around the balls.

I used club's ski which was a 71" Radar P-Six. I am 6.4 feet and 210-215 lbs and 45 years old. I have been a professional athlete in my previous life and keep a good shape but I am going to get myself in a better shape for next season because the body pain I experienced in the first week was something else!... Simply, different sport hit different untrained muscles so hard!

Here is my question: What ski should I buy? I have chosen my bindings which are Reflex Supershell 2.0 and R-Style for back foot but I am really confused about the ski brand/size... Kind of felt that 71" P-Six could have been a little too big for me... Not sure...

Some friends at the club told me to get a performance ski because I was kind of a quick learner but I am sure from now on the actual correct technique and running the course will be a very humbling experience. By the way, I tried 69.5" Radar Lithium Vapor but I honestly didn't do well on it (I also had a bad day on that day but still I think it was too much ski for me).

Please let me know what do you think about HO (Superlite/Standard) CX or Radar Alloy/Graphite Senate. I am open to suggestions... Please note that I haven't been on the water for more 20 times past summer but I know I will be going somewhere warm in Winter. I am addicted now!

• Baller

Gonna let others chime in on ski of choice at your level...but great to have your enthusiasm and great fun lies ahead.

Buoys will be humbling both initially and later but present a challenge most of us just can't stop trying to conquer...there's always the next shorter line.

• Baller
I think a ~69" ski will do you better. In my experience with the HO CX is either love it or hate it. When I was in your shoes I really liked the HO TX in both models with the Senate being a close second. I would recommend if considering the Senate to go with at least the graphite senate (or whatever they call the faster version). D3's always seemed easy to ride but always felt a size too small for me when I was flirting 210.

• Administrators
@NewPassion if you are going to use a top of the line binding like a Super Shell you really need to think about your release settings. You need an advanced & wise skier to set you up. I love the Reflex stuff but usually only for skiers with basic experience.

• Baller

I said it in another thread, the reflex bindings are not designed for a new skier. I do not believe they are safer and in fact can be more dangerous as Horton points out than a traditional rubber or newer soft shell system which are designed entirely for waterskiing.

Reflex is an adapted alpine touring binding with a fixed toe loop, there is zero release from a backward fall. I would never put a new skier in one.

I also don't see how you really gaining any kind of advantage in terms of support when you need to be flexible at your ankle and to feel how the ski reacts in the water.

Senate is a great ski but I think for another year until you ski more the p6 is better having more floatation at lower speeds.

• Baller

I'm still newish to slalom skiing too. i picked up a 69" P6 this past winter. At almost 230 it felt a tad small for me at slow speeds I'm learning at. So picked up a 71" p6 a few months later and it's been helping me with my technique. Hope to be down to 200 by spring and go back to the 69" P6. I think at your weight the 69" would be better.

another ski i want to try is the 69" Connelly Aspect - seems like a great ski.

• Baller

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I am open to ideas about ski brand/size/bindings. I do not have to get a HO CX or Radar Alloy and I am open to suggestions. I am so much in love with this sport that I'd like to think price doesn't matter!

Also, I am taking my daughter to Disney World in Orlando in February... Please let me know where can I go and take care of my waterski itch! I know anout Matt Rinni but open to ideas... Cheers!

• Baller

Brooks is moving out west to work for radar but Travis moye is at thr boarding school to pull skiers and he posted recently he will have some pros stop by until they find Brooks full time replacement. It's a bit of a hike from Disney though

I'd also recommend drew ross, Thomas degasperi and jodi fisher all very close to disney

• Baller
Jodi Fisher is very convenient to Disney area. I strongly recommend connecting with Performance Ski and try some demos. They have the best demo programs I've ever heard of. If you can't find a pull, I'm fairly close, and have a spare 69" Senate, send me a pm.

• Baller

Massive fan of Rini, I went there in July. He's a great guy, put things in terms I could understand, and overall great experience. In 3 days he improved my skiing out of sight! When I get back over that side of the world, I will be going to him again. He's only about 15 mins from Disneyworld.

I would definitely recommend him.

I second what @Orlando76 said about Perf Ski, they are also great to deal with.

• Baller
Jodi Fisher, Drew Ross, and Thomas Degasperi VERY close to disney. Matt Rini is just a little farther, but a easy drive up the 417. Lapoint is pretty close also. Lots of good choices from Disney. Swiss and Monte Carlo, Jack Travers, Boarding school all within 30-45 minutes.